Weights on al 80 cuf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SecT

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Wondering about what you guys think about putting some weight on the alu tanks, thats what Ive been told on the course (the course was in cold water so we used steel 232 bar 12 litre tanks).

Ive seen some videos that not all have extra weight on the tanks and still the tanks doesnt seem to point up in the end.

I usually dive drysuit with two steel 232 bar 12 litre tanks so not the same issue there.

Please leave this dead horse alone. Poor horse, getting beaten so often. :(

You do not need those weights, they make heavy tanks heavy and harder to manage underwater. Simply clip them forward of your belt when they're getting lighter and be done with it.
Of course if you're trying to make a rig work that cannot handle them, it might be a bit more complicated, but normally those are not too common in what I've seen of europe...

this certainly has been discussed a lot i am sure. you are correct that some divers add weight to an allum tank to keep the tail from floating too much. as stated above you can simply move the clip to the forward dring when needed but some divers would rather set the tanks and not have to ever move them. that's their choice. in an overhead environment however it could be a possible entanglement point or if they are going through a restriction it could also be a problem. in open water it would not really be an issue. using weight on the tank also may help you if you have limited means to attach weight to your harness. for example....when travelling, maybe you need to thread weight on the harness because yours has no easy access pockets. that may be annoying. so for some it may just be easier to travel with a couple of cam bands, which gives them not only a place to easily add some weight but it also is used to attach the lower clip.
i myself have never used any weight on the tanks. i just move the clip to the forward drng when they start to get light. if i use my stealth i have plenty of easy options to attach lead to the harness. if i use my sms50, i don't mind using a weight belt.
hope that helps

I dive with Hollis sms 75 with weight plate on back so no issue to remove/replace/change weights easy. I just thought about the weights on alu that my course told me were the "way" to go. But when moving through a restriction I have a harder time to see that this is the best option, but off course possible.

How many d-ring do you have on belt/harness? I have buttplate rails and then one angled and one low profile d-ring on the harness.

The Stealth comes with a heavy O-wing that can be slid forward as the tank butts lighten. There are metal equivalents available too. It's easy to just reach down as push them forward as the dive progresses.

The sms was designed for florida divers that typically use steels. The butt rails are not meant for allum. Most divers would hv 2 fixed drings on each side. I hv seen people use 3. I use 2. As said above you can get sliding rings that allow infinite adjustment. I personally hate the stealth rubber rings. If i did more sm i would def try the sliding metal versions.

Thanks for the answers.. Will be going in the pool today (wetsuit) and play around a bit.. will test without weights on the alu..

did a long poolsession with a lot of skills training with 80 cuf alu with no weights. didnt have any problem without weight to have the tanks place along my body. just had to do minor corrections on the rings on my sms 75. :D

Did you try with almost empty tanks?

Did you try with almost empty tanks?

Not really empty (50bar) but with 100 bar/tank. Had to help out with ongoing course so didnt have time to empty before pooltime was over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom