Weighting For Gue Fundamentals In Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Bevan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Guys,

I am a recreational diver embarking on my GUE fundamentals course in May at Sharm El Sheik. At the minute I have 21 dives on PADI OW certification.

I'm wondering about weight systems. Currently I dive recreationally in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia where I live and work. I use an aluminium backplate, steel STA and wing. I dive in a 3mm full wetsuit, gloves and Boots with Ali tanks.

As it stands I need about 10lbs weight with a ALU single tank on. Currently I place this in two XDEEP Ditchable weight pockets.

I was wondering how other GUE/DIR divers are carrying there weight in a single ali tank red sea situation. I know this is the stuff I will be learning on the course but its more so I can understand how my rig will be set up so I can make sure everything is ready for the course.

I'm guessing that most GUE divers aren't using ditchable weight pockets as they occupy the space where the cannister light would be. I don't really feel the need to ditch 10lbs as I can easily swim up without my BC. But I've just never really known where else to put the actual weight.

Any info would be appreciated.

Dave B

To "make sure everything is ready for the course," I suggest contacting your instructor. Part of Fundies is figuring out your correct weighting and learning where best to put the lead (if you need any). There's nothing wrong with weight pockets, but you are correct that you wouldn't put them on your waist where the can light is. Rather, you would put them somewhere else, like on the cam bands. In Fundies, I found that two weight pockets on the cam bands did the trick. So bring your weight pouches with you to the course.

It's nice to do some preparation and not come to class having never given any thought to things like weighting, but it really isn't expected that you will come to class with your rig perfectly configured. Configuring your rig, including how much lead to carry and where to put it, is part of what the instructor expects to teach you.

Thanks Lorenzoid. I'm sure it will all come good in the end! :)

To be fair my instructor said to do the course and then I'll have a better understanding for what I need.

It was more out of interest to get a feel for what other divers are doing.

Weight pockets on the cam bands for me as well. I started with 2 on the top cam band but for cold, fresh water with a thicker suit where I need more weight, I use 4 weight pockets, 2 on the upper cam band and 2 on the lower to distribute the weight better for proper trim.

Do you have a weight in the STA? That could work for you as well.

Where you put the weight will depend on where it works for you to achieve horizontal trim. When you're neutral, just relax and let your body tip if it's going to. See if you stay flat, tip upwards or downwards, which will tell you whether you need to keep the weight where it is or further up or down your torso. It could also be the placement of the tank or wing higher or lower. Get someone to watch you or better yet, take a picture or video so you can see what happens.

Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with practicing basic things like weighting, trim and buoyancy before the course. In fact, in your regular dives if you weren't doing the course, you would want those dialed in anyway.

Before my fundies course, the instructor had recommended that my teammates and I practice hovering motionless for several minutes at a time or longer at various depths.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

I'm guessing that most GUE divers aren't using ditchable weight pockets as they occupy the space where the cannister light would be.

I don't think that's true.

First, there's a ditchable weight system for Halycon BCDs that, as far as I can tell, isn't too far from the xDEEP pockets you're using. Second, I used those same xDEEP pockets on my Fundies course, and nobody batted an eyelash. Then again, I wasn't using a can, either. (I was only going for a rec pass, and I ended up using a cordless light.) Third, I think the can sits farther back anyway.

http://www.gue.com/files/page_images/equipment/Config/true_acb-kelp.jpg

You'll get everything sorted out during the course anyway, so I wouldn't overthink it.

I agree with Lorenzoid: let your instructor earn his/her pay :)

It is quite likely that by the end of the class the amount of weight that you think you need to carry will decrease quite a bit. A steel plate is probably the easiest way to add a couple of pounds, but many people do use weighted STAs; I see fewer with weighted cam bands in my corner of the woods. A steel backplate PLUS weighted STA (e.g. Halcyon) would give you 9 lbs extra.

To the OP,
I'm not really all that GUE/DIR - let the instructor guide you on this as other posters have said.
(The devil really is in the details)

In the Red Sea with an ali backplate, ali80 and 3mm I use 2Kg(ish) max on a the first dive. I always find I'm a little anxious at the start of a trip and as I get more relaxed I drop a little weight.

I put the weight on a belt but in the Red Sea I prefer the bigger 15L tanks as I have more gas and no need for a weight belt.

I suspect you'll find yourself dropping a bit of weight.

Trim is not just about the weight and its placement it's also about body positioning so do yourself one big favour - let the instructor guide you on the finer points of trim/buoyancy. Lots of us are well intentioned but it's the instructor who ultimately has to show you how it's done in the water.

And best of luck ! it's a great learning experience and I hope you enjoy it.

BTW my avatar photo was taken in the Red Sea :)

Last edited:
Let us know how your course goes. You will learn a lot. Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom