Weighting And Staying Alive.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I can see the thinking behind using the technical diving mindset for all dives (for those that were trained in it), it does not make as much sense for someone who dives easy non challenging sites.

Easy, non-challenging sites can very quickly turn into challenging sites, especially in the UK...

The NorCal coast conditions can change dramaticly during the course of a dive.

As for how many simultaneous failures you want to prepare for, that is up to you. I my experience, too many divers don't even prepare for one failure.

Bob

So, recently I joined a local FB page which focuses on lost and found. Shockingly, there were many (far too many) posts saying they lost a weight on X wreck or X site. Yes, not just at the sight but while diving. All of the missing weights were of the ditchable variety, ether Velcro, plastic release or both.

Now, most of our wrecks are sunk so they don't interfere with ship traffic, i.e DEEP. So, losing a weight pouch on a deep, current swept wreck gives me "cause for concern". You can only imagine the negative outcomes.

So, for all divers, please ensure your weights are secured, or better yet, investigate better weighting options that don't require 50% of your weight in a ditchable pouch.

Dive safe, dive often.

Jay.

A lot get lost at surface, jumping in or heading down.

It's those systems based on plastic latches to hold something in place that seem kind of broken by design. When I was first doing a weight check in my Halcyon harness, and trying to yank out weight pockets for the first time, I was pretty shocked at how hard my weights were stuck in place. It seems that such designs, depending on small deviations in the manufacturing process, might end up with something either stuck too tight, or not quite tight enough.

It's those systems based on plastic latches to hold something in place that seem kind of broken by design. When I was first doing a weight check in my Halcyon harness, and trying to yank out weight pockets for the first time, I was pretty shocked at how hard my weights were stuck in place. It seems that such designs, depending on small deviations in the manufacturing process, might end up with something either stuck too tight, or not quite tight enough.

This. The velcro systems deteriorate with use and with contamination with sand and fiberous material. The nylon latches deteriorate with use, UV exposure, and impact, and are affected by manufacturing tolerances. Nylon/canvas weight belts loosen with wetsuit compression and depending on configuration there's the potential to confuse the belt with the BC belt.

I am familiar with two systems which I'll cite as being reasonably secure. One is the Dive Rite system, which uses an upward-facing zippered pocket for routine loading and unloading, and a velcro release mechanism that requires first an upward pull then a downward one. Because the velcro isn't engaged and disengaged on every dive, it doesn't wear out quickly, and the two motion up-pull/down-pull arrangement is nearly impossible to activate by mistake.

The other is the rubber weight belt, which is elastic enough that it is relatively unaffected by wetsuit compression, quick to release with two motions, and difficult to confuse with anything else. I use a Mako one but I believe other makes are similar.

I am familiar with two systems which I'll cite as being reasonably secure. One is the Dive Rite system, which uses an upward-facing zippered pocket for routine loading and unloading, and a velcro release mechanism that requires first an upward pull then a downward one. Because the velcro isn't engaged and disengaged on every dive, it doesn't wear out quickly, and the two motion up-pull/down-pull arrangement is nearly impossible to activate by mistake.
I'll add a 3rd. The Zeagle Ripcord system is similar, though only requires a single motion to activate. Weights fit in an upward facing pocket. When closed, the zipper for the weight pocket is toward the back of the BC, so harder to get to than the BC pocket zipper which is toward the front. Weights are inserted and removed via the zipper, so the release does not need to be activated to remove or add weights. Ripcord handle is distinct, and unlikely to be confused with anything else (at least on my gear). Handle is secured in velcro to prevent accidental activation. Unlike most other release systems (other than weight belts), the Ripcord only requires one hand to release all ditchable weight and can be activated by either hand. I could see that as being useful if the diver needs to keep a hand on something else. No special pouches required either. If you use really small hard weights, then you may need a little pouch. I like soft weights and have used down to 1lb weights in the system with no pouch.

This. The velcro systems deteriorate with use and with contamination with sand and fiberous material. The nylon latches deteriorate with use, UV exposure, and impact, and are affected by manufacturing tolerances. Nylon/canvas weight belts loosen with wetsuit compression and depending on configuration there's the potential to confuse the belt with the BC belt.

The other is the rubber weight belt, which is elastic enough that it is relatively unaffected by wetsuit compression, quick to release with two motions, and difficult to confuse with anything else. I use a Mako one but I believe other makes are similar.

Here's a 4th: DUI Weight & Trim System

Uses the same tech as skydiving cutaway systems.

Lance

Still, the people losing weights aren't dying right? Unless you've blown your NDL you can always skip the optional safety stop if you have to.

Or option #2, over weighted to begin with. I found a pocket and, when back on the boat, went searching for the owner with no takers. Next morning a diver realizes his weight pouch is missing and comes to get it. Seems like the day before, during the last dive he started to roll to the right side and couldn't figure out why, since he had no buoyancy problems, he finished the dive, made a safety stop and got on board. He figured the weight was not his because he was able to control his buoyancy.

I gave him the weights, told him to leave that lead on the boat and split what he had between the two pockets and have a nice day.

Bob
picking lead up off the bottom since '62., getting a lot more recently.

Back
Top Bottom