Weighting a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael McGoldrick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey there,

So i've recently switched to a BP/W set up. I have the Stainless Steel Xdeep Zen with the ditchable weight pockets but one of the reasons I switched to BP/W is to get rid of the bulk around the waist for a cleaner set up and a potentially 'balanced rig'. I dive a single in a drysuit and need an additional 6-8kg depending on if it's fresh or salt water. What's are your tips and methods for adding weight without having bulky pockets on the waist?

I would need the ability to add or remove 2kg if I go from fresh water to salt water and i've read about zip tying weight directly to the plate, using a weight belt and using trim pockets. Thanks!

i've read about zip tying weight directly to the plate, using a weight belt and using trim pockets. Thanks!

Well - it looks like you've answered your own question.

Remove the weight pockets and go with a weight belt, and/or add some weight pouches to your tank cam bands to help trim. Maybe replace the plastic cam bands with steel ones for some more weight.

Cheers
Rohan.

Personally I’ve e never used it but people on this forum seem to be using something called P-Weights attached to the BP. No point buying them if you fly to dive - good for local divers though…

I too use an Alu XDeep Zen and I was surprised how uncomfortable even the smallest size side-pockets felt with just 1 kg each or even empty. It’s a totally different sense of freedom and confidence one gets without constantly being reminded of one’s Beer Belly … :cheers:

Привет,

Поэтому я недавно перешел на комплект BP/W. У меня Stainless Steel Xdeep Zen с отсоединяемыми грузовыми карманами, но одна из причин, по которой я перешел на BP/W, — это желание избавиться от громоздкости вокруг талии для более чистой комплектации и потенциально «сбалансированной оснастки». Я ныряю один раз в сухом костюме и мне нужно дополнительно 6-8 кг в зависимости от того, пресная это или соленая вода. Каковы ваши советы и методы добавления веса без громоздких карманов на талии?

Мне понадобится возможность добавлять или убирать 2 кг, если я перейду из пресной воды в соленую, и я читал о креплении груза непосредственно к пластине с помощью застежки-молнии, использовании пояса с грузом и использовании карманов-обрезок. Спасибо!

Attachments

• backplate weight.png
    backplate weight.png
    303.2 KB · Views: 25
  • ali.png
    ali.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 22

It's not big enough to hold 6-8 kilos but you could also use the trim pouches on cambands -- none of it's gonna be ditchable, of course.

Has anyone seen the system of thicker plates without all the fashionable holes that make plates lighter

301 018a.jpg

and for what reason in the megaverse of the planet would anyone use an aluminum plate

Hey there,

So i've recently switched to a BP/W set up. I have the Stainless Steel Xdeep Zen with the ditchable weight pockets but one of the reasons I switched to BP/W is to get rid of the bulk around the waist for a cleaner set up and a potentially 'balanced rig'. I dive a single in a drysuit and need an additional 6-8kg depending on if it's fresh or salt water. What's are your tips and methods for adding weight without having bulky pockets on the waist?

I would need the ability to add or remove 2kg if I go from fresh water to salt water and i've read about zip tying weight directly to the plate, using a weight belt and using trim pockets. Thanks!

If you are looking for a “balanced rig” you will have to think about splitting the weight between your rig and a weight belt. Depending on your exposure protection suit, most of that weight will likely have to be on a weight belt.

I’m a fan of trim pockets on each side of both cam bands. It keeps your BP/W light for travel.

You can also adjust how much weight is on the top or bottom cam band to help your trim.

See the thread below for ideas to stop the trim pockets sliding about when changing tanks.

If you are looking for a “balanced rig” you will have to think about splitting the weight between your rig and a weight belt. Depending on your exposure protection suit, most of that weight will likely have to be on a weight belt.

He said he was diving a drysuit.

I use the Bertec variable V-weight which goes between the cylinders and the backplate.

It is really great when you need to adjust the weight regularly.

How does this work with a single tank?

Take a look at this, and the weighted STA from halcyon. If you do both of the below together you’re able to add 8kg of weight.

He said he was diving a drysuit.

And undergarment thicknesses and buoyancy varies …

Take a look at this, and the weighted STA from halcyon.

There goes the Halcyon marketing team again … he is in the UK … find another brand to tout

:laughrant:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom