Weight system for BP wing ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi: I use a weight belt for drysuit diving in BP wing and would like to go integrated. Can anyone recommend integrated weight pockets that could be fitted into the harness webbing and would allow weights to be removed and handed to the boat crew before climbing back on to the boat? Does anyone have experience with those?

Thanks.

Halcyon has a ditchable weighting system for webbing. As expected it is pricey.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hi: I use a weight belt for drysuit diving in BP wing and would like to go integrated. Can anyone recommend integrated weight pockets that could be fitted into the harness webbing and would allow weights to be removed and handed to the boat crew before climbing back on to the boat? Does anyone have experience with those?

Thanks.

Stay with the weight belt. If you have the right combo of plate material and tank type your belt won't be very heavy anyway. Hanging 100% of your ballast on your rig will require a large wing than if you have ballast at least equal to the weight of your gas on your person.

Resist the temptation to turn your BP&W into a conventional BC......

Tobin

Halcyon made a few versions of these in their "Active Ballast Control system": the early ones used horizontally-inserted pockets and retainers that attached to the BP using a bolt; the next variant used the same pockets but had a triglide attachment ; the newest flavor I'm aware of uses the triglide attachment but has gone to a vertical-inserted pocket...which is good, as the pocket is less likely to fall out and dangle by its clip while in horizontal trim, but will drop clean when in a vertical position (i.e., emergency). Like all things H, it is stupidly overpriced but very nice.

Diverite seems to make some stuff along the same lines that's cheaper: BC Accessory Pockets by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

Stay with the weight belt. If you have the right combo of plate material and tank type your belt won't be very heavy anyway. Hanging 100% of your ballast on your rig will require a large wing than if you have ballast at least equal to the weight of your gas on your person.

Tobin

Says the guy who has bolt-on weight plates for his BPs? Which isn't to say I don't like that approach myself... but at least this remains ditch-able. And if he really needs the rig to float itself without him in it, he can ditch the weight and not need a huge wing.

Hanging 100% of your ballast on your rig will require a large wing than if you have ballast at least equal to the weight of your gas on your person.

Tobin

Can you explain why the wing capacity would need to change based on where you place your weight ???

The wing needs to be able to float the rig.

Does it not need to float the rig and the entire person attached? If so whether the weight is on the rig or the person it still needs to be floated.

Does it not need to float the rig and the entire person attached? If so whether the weight is on the rig or the person it still needs to be floated.

It's also helpful if your rig doesn't sink to Davey Jones' locker should you have to remove it at the surface.

I understand that but your wing should be big enough to float the entire setup. Rig, person and weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom