weight placement?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat:
Just something I am thinking. Which is preferred in DIR?

1) Thicker plates so I will not need to put on extra weight blocks?
2) Thinner plates so I will still have some ditchable weights in emergency?

Also, if I switch my 2 cam band/straps with stainless buckles, how much more weight would that add?

Thanks!!!!

As Vie suggested, you will be better off with SS plate. The idea is to put weight at the center of your body for better trim.If you have a balance rig, In the case of immergency you should be able to swim up with out dithcing weight.

Vie:
The stainless steel weights about six pounds. The aluminium can’t be more than one or two pounds.

With various recommendations, I am thinking of switching my AL bp to S/S. I did some research, I would be able to get a DiveRite S/S with pretty interesting price. DR's S/S bp weights around 5lbs. This means an additional 3.5lb over my current AL (1.5lb). Since I usually takes around 6-8lbs (depends on whether I am fun diving or OW assistance) of extra weights down when using my AL bp), this means I would still need 4lbs of additional weight if I actually get DR's S/S bp.

My questions are:

1) Should I go with DR S/S bp and keep 4lbs of extra weight in weight pockets on my tank cam straps?
or
2) Try and find a heavier bp so I can have all the weights distributed on my back?
or
3) Add an additional STA to the bp (I don't need them for the tank, just to have more weight on the bp)?

Also:
If change my 2 cam straps with S/S buckles, how much weight would this add to my rig?

Thanks a ton.

wunat:
1) Should I go with DR S/S bp and keep 4lbs of extra weight in weight pockets on my tank cam straps?
or
2) Try and find a heavier bp so I can have all the weights distributed on my back?
or
3) Add an additional STA to the bp (I don't need them for the tank, just to have more weight on the bp)?

I wouldn’t go with a bp that weights more than 6 lbs—if you have 4 lbs of movable weights (i.e. 2 blocks of lead) left, you have the option of moving them around to adjust trim if you need to. I guess it’s just personal preference whether you want to use a STA or not. Some people feel that if you can swim up with your rig you don’t need the pouches/weight pockets at all, just add the weights directly to the cam straps.

wunat:
If change my 2 cam straps with S/S buckles, how much weight would this add to my rig?

Mine (non-weighted STA) weights less than 1kg.

Hmmm... this thread has now got me thinking. I have two small DR pockets on my webbing to hold the 8lbs of extra weight my fat body needs to get under (even with steel tanks and SS backplate). I don't like the pockets, so I think I might move to hard weights on my cam bands. four lbs per side should od the trick. What I have now is not conveniently ditchable, so moving them will probably not add too much.

I'm diving dry now...

Vie:
I wouldn’t go with a bp that weights more than 6 lbs—if you have 4 lbs of movable weights (i.e. 2 blocks of lead) left, you have the option of moving them around to adjust trim if you need to. I guess it’s just personal preference whether you want to use a STA or not. Some people feel that if you can swim up with your rig you don’t need the pouches/weight pockets at all, just add the weights directly to the cam straps.

Mine (non-weighted STA) weights less than 1kg.

I guess I will probably have to invest in a S/S bp. Thanks!!!!

Went ahead and ordered a DiveRite S/S bp today. Can't wait to test it out and see how it will go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom