weight placement?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DOXA:
You got all right. By moving the can strap up and down, you can raise or drop your head/feet. By moving the weights from the left to right side of your tank, you can prevent a roll over to the left or right side.

D.

Thanks. I will try out this configuration this weekend.

I tried out a few weight configurations during this past weekend on a DM intern. I ended up placing all my weights on the tank cam straps. Two 1 pound weights on the upper strap and two 2 pounds on the lower strap. This is probably a good configurations for now. I came down with this after moving the weight up and down along the tank as suggested.

But in the later dives, I ended carry two 2 pound weights on the upper strap and still keep the two 2 pound weights in the lower strap. This makes me slightly overweighted coz I need the extra weight for AOW assistance. Students have problem controlling their breathing and bouyancy and ended up shooting up toward the surface when we accent up to around 7-10 m. Pretty risky indeed. In fact I have to help pull down 3 students simultaneously. I have to either take out a weight block from one of pockets and place it into their BC pockets or grab their BC and deflate in C completely + exhale estensively to weight them down............................

In any case, thanks alot for the recommendations again. Now I have the weight distribution setup for either AOW assistant or just for .........................diving.

THANKS!!!

wunat:
I ended up placing all my weights on the tank cam straps. Two 1 pound weights on the upper strap and two 2 pounds on the lower strap. This is probably a good configurations for now. I came down with this after moving the weight up and down along the tank as suggested.

But in the later dives, I ended carry two 2 pound weights on the upper strap and still keep the two 2 pound weights in the lower strap.

So you’re carrying between 6 to 8 lbs on your cam straps—have you considered using a stainless steel backplate?

Vie:
So you’re carrying between 6 to 8 lbs on your cam straps—have you considered using a stainless steel backplate?

Yes. Another alternative I am considering is using STA. But was also concerned on how much weights I will need to load on my dive trips to various places.

wunat:
Yes. Another alternative I am considering is using STA. But was also concerned on how much weights I will need to load on my dive trips to various places.

You mean a weighted STA? IHMO, using a weighted STA with an AL bp would be pointless; might as well use an ss bp—since you don’t use a STA, adding one would just be adding something you don’t need. I’ve been lugging around my ss bp/non-weighted STA (have to use a STA with my Eclipse wing) to various places and have not have any problems.

Vie:
You mean a weighted STA? IHMO, using a weighted STA with an AL bp would be pointless; might as well use an ss bp—since you don’t use a STA, adding one would just be adding something you don’t need. I’ve been lugging around my ss bp/non-weighted STA (have to use a STA with my Eclipse wing) to various places and have not have any problems.

Point taken. I will take a look it.

BTW, do you know the do you know the average weight difference between an AL BP and Stainless BP?

The stainless steel weights about six pounds. The aluminium can’t be more than one or two pounds.

wunat:
BTW, do you know the do you know the average weight difference between an AL BP and Stainless BP?

2-4lbs on average, but depends on the plate. Most AL plates are ~2lbs. Steel plates range from 5-6lb for your garden variety ones, to heavier (read thicker or longer) 9 and 12lb plates that some manufacturers make for those who need the extra weight.

-Roman.

Just something I am thinking. Which is preferred in DIR?

1) Thicker plates so I will not need to put on extra weight blocks?
2) Thinner plates so I will still have some ditchable weights in emergency?

Also, if I switch my 2 cam band/straps with stainless buckles, how much more weight would that add?

Thanks!!!!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom