Weight of rebreathers -- Ready to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJ CCR 42kg, with 6mm plate, 2l/232bar steel for argon and 41.4ah for light and heating. This for diving in 4c waters.

JJ-CCR with Halcyon carbon backplate/harness, 2x Alum S19s, full scrubber: 30.5 kg / 67.4 lbs [wetsuit rig--no additional weight required with 5mm wetsuit]

JJ-CCR with steel backplate/harness, 2x steel HP 3l cyls, full scrubber, 2x lead tube weights: 39.5 kg / 87.3 lbs [drysuit rig--neutral in thick drysuit with no added weight]

Whilst we're busy weighing rebreathers... For comparison, does anyone know what a ready-to-dive twinset weighs?

I used to dive twin 12 litre steels with concave bottoms. These three are now being used as gas banks for O2, 'mix and air.

Have just weighed the full air twinset (obviously) with manifold and it's 39kg/86lbs. To dive, add to that the regulators, steel backplate, wing, a 1 litre steel drysuit inflate cylinder + regulator, and an additional 4kg/9lbs of lead V-weights. Should add the suit heater battery and torch.

Could we say 60kg/132lbs? My back says that's not far off.

I guess we can ignore the two ali80s for the deco gases as rebreathers need bailout

You should add an AL40 for a deco gas if you are comparing to a rebreather with two bail outs.

If you are comparing a twinset without a deco bottle to a rebreather I would consider a single (large) bail out to be more comparable.

Whilst we're busy weighing rebreathers... For comparison, does anyone know what a ready-do-dive twinset weighs?

I used to dive twin 12 litre steels with concave bottoms. These three are now being used as gas banks for O2, 'mix and air.

Have just weighed the full air twinset (obviously) with manifold and it's 39kg/86lbs. To dive, add to that the regulators, steel backplate, wing, a 1 litre steel drysuit inflate cylinder + regulator, and an additional 4kg/9lbs of lead V-weights. Should add the suit heater battery and torch.

I guess we can ignore the two ali80s for the deco gases as rebreathers need bailout
My weight included bailout for sub 200' dives.

Whilst we're busy weighing rebreathers... For comparison, does anyone know what a ready-to-dive twinset weighs?

I was curious, so I just weighted my Faber HP100 pair. They're 103.4lbs @ 3800psi (24%), with a CF backplate and a Hogarthian harness. Add to that Tek3 first/second stages/transmitter/computers, another 7.2lbs. So that's over 110lbs before adding deco gas.

I don't think it's fair to add additional weights, lights and other variables to the comparison. These variables will change person to person. It's also important to note that for the same dive you'd need more bailout than a deco gas, since deco is for a specific part of the dive, while BO has to cover everything from bottom to surface. So either you're bringing a large tank or multiple tanks to cover the same range. In short, it's not a wash, I wouldn't "ignore" them.

Lastly, I'm definitely interested in the Choptima, but in the interest of being somewhat scientific, I don't think we can say it's 25lbs ready to go. That does not include BP/W and anything else attached to a BM rebreather. It's still impressively light, but in the name of science we should add everything. Think about it logically: all the same components, but a single 1st stage (vs 2), delrin scrubber body, compared to aluminum, no need for a stand (which isn't required with every CCR anyway), etc.

We just did some weight comparisons of X-CCR, Meg Pathfinder, rEvo Micro TI w/RMS and a Choptima. The Choptima was the lightest with its (small 2L? steel tank), but compared to the X-CCR with dual 3L steels attached to it... I was surprised by how light the whole X-CCR package was. All of them were way lighter than my doubles and everyone had at LEAST dual AL40's for BO/deco. The Choptima had dual LP50's (and I don't recall if he had any other cylinders).

Anyway, I think this is a valuable thread, can't wait to read more. Hopefully my posts contributes to it.

Lastly, I'm definitely interested in the Choptima, but in the interest of being somewhat scientific, I don't think we can say it's 25lbs ready to go. That does not include BP/W and anything else attached to a BM rebreather. It's still impressively light, but in the name of science we should add everything. Think about it logically: all the same components, but a single 1st stage (vs 2), delrin scrubber body, compared to aluminum, no need for a stand (which isn't required with every CCR anyway), etc.

We just did some weight comparisons of X-CCR, Meg Pathfinder, rEvo Micro TI w/RMS and a Choptima. The Choptima was the lightest with its (small 2L? steel tank), but compared to the X-CCR with dual 3L steels attached to it... I was surprised by how light the whole X-CCR package was. All of them were way lighter than my doubles and everyone had at LEAST dual AL40's for BO/deco. The Choptima had dual LP50's (and I don't recall if he had any other cylinders).

Anyway, I think this is a valuable thread, can't wait to read more. Hopefully my posts contributes to it.
If you scroll back several posts. My Choptima weights included bailout for a 200' dive.

Back
Top Bottom