Weight of rebreathers -- Ready to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe so. All the Triton divers I know dive it similarly. You can get a steel 2l O2 tank for it which makes it a bit heavier, but there's no on-board diluent solution for it (that I'm aware of). A mate of mine is playing around with a couple of small carbon fibre tanks he's looking to integrate into his sidemount harness for "short" dives instead of regular sidemount tanks.

Clearly a very common Triton configuration. You can get up to a 3L O2 tank. One must remember that the Triton can be used either SM (not my choice yet, as I have no SM experience) or BM.

If you dive it SM, then you'll have your dil on one side and your BO on the other side.

If you dive it BM (like I do) most of the time, you'll have your BO on your back and will use it as well for dil. That was my choice, because while diving air diluant (don't have my Trimix dil cert yet), you can travel light, meaning where ever you go, you just bring your rebreather and get any tank available on your diving location. Save you the cost of buying and maintaining your own tank and the bother of carrying it. A 10L tank is just the perfect solution (I just put 2 regs on it : one in case my buddy needs air (LH), the other as my backup (necklace) if my rebreather goes amok. In fact, it allows me to keep my BM OC rig, I've been using for years, so in case of emergency, no sweat. Tried it twice in real life, just works fine. If I can't get a 10L tank, I use a 12L one, heavier, but then I get some lead out of my backplate, and it does the trick just nicely.

I used to clamp a 2L tank for dil on the BM BO, but I stopped doing it. It wasn't really necessary (at least for the kind of diving I do).

:)

For a typical dive that's not excessively deep, what's the standard configuration for a Chest-mount Optima?

Would a typical configuration be with *two* 7litre/50cf sidemount cylinders with a sidemount harness (e.g. XDeep Stealth). Assume one of the sidemount tins will be connected as diluent with the other as independent bailout/counterweight.

The ChOptima will be ~17lbs/8kg -- does that include scrubber and the Oxygen cylinder? What size is the oxygen cylinder?

Similarly @mwerle -- is that a typical Triton configuration?
That is my configuration down to about 150'. 150'-200' I would add a 40 of deco gas, below 200' would add a second 40 of deco gas. I am running a one liter oxygen bottle. Stock configuration is with a 2l oxygen.
I think it is about 23 pounds packed with an o2 bottle in stock configuration.

That is my configuration down to about 150'. 150'-200' I would add a 40 of deco gas, below 200' would add a second 40 of deco gas. I am running a one liter oxygen bottle. Stock configuration is with a 2l oxygen.
I think it is about 23 pounds packed with an o2 bottle in stock configuration.
So Choptima works well for Great Lakes diving?

So Choptima works well for Great Lakes diving?
I personally still prefer a standard backmount unit, but I am in the minority on that. It is a good unit that lends itself well to most environments.

Any sidewinder or the backmount version weights? What about the other sidemount rebreathers?

Any sidewinder or the backmount version weights? What about the other sidemount rebreathers?

My Sidewinder with 2L HP O2 tank and a lung of gas is pretty well perfectly neutral in fresh water.

As for out of water, the fact that it's a bolt on to your OC rig makes the weight of mine meaningless to the weight of others. I could dive it with the 2L and a 40 of dil, or just two AL19s of dil and O2, or the 2L+ two 108s + 4 AL80 Stages. Let's not forget my Frankenstein home made harness.

The Unit attached to my harness and wing with the 2L and lights is around 30lbs/13kg. That's all I typically have to lift at once aside from carrying my tanks to the water. Add some more for inflation bottles and clip on accessories.

Disclaimer: All these weights are completly pulled out of my a$$, so don't hold me to them.

My Sidewinder with 2L HP O2 tank and a lung of gas is pretty well perfectly neutral in fresh water.

As for out of water, the fact that it's a bolt on to your OC rig makes the weight of mine meaningless to the weight of others. I could dive it with the 2L and a 40 of dil, or just two AL19s of dil and O2, or the 2L+ two 108s + 4 AL80 Stages. Let's not forget my Frankenstein home made harness.

The Unit attached to my harness and wing with the 2L and lights is around 30lbs/13kg. That's all I typically have to lift at once aside from carrying my tanks to the water. Add some more for inflation bottles and clip on accessories.

Disclaimer: All these weights are completly pulled out of my a$$, so don't hold me to them.
Seems a nice light unit. Haven't seen anyone diving one yet, definitely looking forwards to seeing one.

Any chance of you weighing it on the harness next time please -- purely trying to get good numbers for comparison.

Seems a nice light unit. Haven't seen anyone diving one yet, definitely looking forwards to seeing one.

Any chance of you weighing it on the harness next time please -- purely trying to get good numbers for comparison.

Harness, wing, full scrubbers, light dude 3600 with large battery, Petrel, Perdix, NERD2, and cutting devices is 31lbs.

Classic Kiss with ss bp and 2L steel tanks is 25 kg/55 pounds. Aside of that, it has negative buoyancy so I need little lead to sink: none on a 7 mm wetsuit and 4 kg when on a 3 mm neoprene wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom