Weight of rebreathers -- Ready to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious to hear about real-world weights for Meg and Fathom
Fathom rigged "DIR" style: 144lb/65kg. That includes:
-2xLP50s for DIL/ Deep BO
-1x3L Steel for O2
-1x3L AL for suit inflation (I could reduce the weight to 140lb by switching to an AL6, which I use as well).
-12lbs of lead to sink (Im diving in cold water with thick undergarments, plus I'm using the 5lb scrubber which basically leaves a big empty air cavity in the bottom of the can).

I'm actually very tempted to make a Fathom "light" build for open water dives in the shallow/ moderate depth range. 2xAL30s with a Lola, a 2L for O2 vs a 3L, and if I use a non helium based dil, I can ditch the inflation bottle... My heart is telling me it would be cool, but my brain is telling me to just use OC for those dives. Not sure who is going to win that argument...

GUE rigged JJ was 54Kg IIRC, that was with 7L steels and a 3L steel for O2, alloy backplate, no light/heater canister or suit inflate so would have been maybe 58Kg with those. One of the several reasons I quit the class.

Fathom rigged "DIR" style: 144lb/65kg. That includes:
-2xLP50s for DIL/ Deep BO
-1x3L Steel for O2
-1x3L AL for suit inflation (I could reduce the weight to 140lb by switching to an AL6, which I use as well).
-12lbs of lead to sink (Im diving in cold water with thick undergarments, plus I'm using the 5lb scrubber which basically leaves a big empty air cavity in the bottom of the can).

I'm actually very tempted to make a Fathom "light" build for open water dives in the shallow/ moderate depth range. 2xAL30s with a Lola, a 2L for O2 vs a 3L, and if I use a non helium based dil, I can ditch the inflation bottle... My heart is telling me it would be cool, but my brain is telling me to just use OC for those dives. Not sure who is going to win that argument...

Basically what I've done with my KISS in a way for tricky access mines.

May go further though and off board everything but o2.

Bit OT but does anyone know if GUE have a min pressure to refill at on the 7s or is it profile specific

Bit OT but does anyone know if GUE have a min pressure to refill at on the 7s or is it profile specific
Not trained on GUE JJ, but I dive with a lot of them. IIRC, the LP50s are just about minimum gas, so if 50-60 bar leaves you enough dil for the dive plus enough BO to get home, that's cool. Although my buddy was telling me for O2 they have a minimum 100bar to get in the water...

According to M3S (manufacturer), the ready to dive Triton weighs 12.2 kg. The rest depends on the way you dive : SM (diluent + BO) or BM (toddy style or diluent on BO).

My GUE JJ ready to dive with carbon back plate, 3l O2 a 200b, 3l suit inflate with air to 200b and D7s with air at 180b weighed 55kg. No heater pack but with a Focus2 on the belt. It feels easier to move around on your back than a twinset due to the way it is closer to your back and wrapped around slightly.

Rich
Relevant from another thread.

If you’re going to penalize the Choptima with the weight of dilout / bailuent you should penalize your revo too, unless you dive alpine style.

ETA: dil isn’t strictly required on the chop unless you want to go below 20’ 🤣
Yeah, or if you have a very square profile you could use an AL6 for dil so you can compare apples to apples with BM rebreathers where they don't count the bailout weight.

Back
Top Bottom