Weight Hog. How much do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow, only depends on about(rounded off) 10 different variables.....really does it matter???.....If you need it you need it----that or enjoy your snorkeling trip.....

Actually it does matter. I don't mind loading on the weight if its necessary. The point of asking was to determine if it actually was....and since I have never dove with this kind of weight ..... The PADI manual does mention that most beginner drysuit issues are related to weight. Hey I'm a drysuit noob.

BTW Boulder, using the Seaquest Fusion BC (rather huge) and a Whites Nexus 3 (not Whites Fusion)

Ah! I misread!

I have been in a Nexus (once), and I know others who use it. I think (could well be wrong) that it might take a bit more weght than a Fusion because it is not nearly as streamlined. It should not need a lot more, though, if it idoes.

Actually it does matter. I don't mind loading on the weight if its necessary. The point of asking was to determine if it actually was....and since I have never dove with this kind of weight ..... The PADI manual does mention that most beginner drysuit issues are related to weight. Hey I'm a drysuit noob.

Tested with an empty tank and empty pony, the minimum amount of weight I need when wearing my winter gear is 48 lbs. On top of that, I add 6 more pounds for added warmth.

Specifics: 5'9", 190lbs, trilaminate suit, Weezle Extreme Plus, 100 wt polypropylene fleece wicking layer, 4-layer fleece chest pad, two pairs of thick Merino wool socks, loosely laced oversized Rockboots, 7mm neoprene hood, 2mm neoprene ice cap underhood, a couple of 2mm neoprene neck bands, oversized SI TECH drygloves with 2 liners, high volume mask, hp120 with al30 pony on a Highland SS pony band, old Seaquest bcd.

The buoyancy adds up. Most of mine makes me warmer, so I'm perfectly happy with it.

My buddy gets up around that weight level in the winter, too.

You might be able to reduce your weight by substituting less buoyant gear, but, if you've checked your weighting properly and want to use the same undergarments, it's not likely to change much.

Weighting shouldn't be a status symbol. :D

Dave C

I use 6lbs with my thick undergarments, but I have an aluminum backplate. Make sure you get as much air out of the suit a you can before the dive.

Dave...56 pounds? nice :D

I didn't go through the details of my gear but i'm in a similar situation. I have thick gauntlet style neo gloves, sabre cold weather wick gear under my thermals, wool socks under my thermal socks, oversize Evo3 rock boots blah blah blah.
Thank you for the information this is what I was looking for.

Dave...56 pounds? nice :D

I didn't go through the details of my gear but i'm in a similar situation. I have thick gauntlet style neo gloves, sabre cold weather wick gear under my thermals, wool socks under my thermal socks, oversize Evo3 rock boots blah blah blah.
Thank you for the information this is what I was looking for.

Glad you feel better! Thought you might.... :)

Dave C

16lb with Bare Trilam and winter undergarments HP100 tank + 30cuf bottle. It was 26 with all the same undergarments and Al80 w/o the bottle

P.S. fresh water

I am your exact same size, my body is on the dense side. Any combination of gear (dry/wet/doubles, BP/W, Z Ranger, single 100, 19 pony, double up undergarments) 30 lbs for me would be a push. I would devote a dive or two to doing nothing but getting your weighting straight. I don't think I'd want to find out at 60/80' that 50 lbs was too much.

Oh, Vancouver! That must be 50 lbs. Canadian 34 or so US. :) Dove the Cape Breton, Saskatchewan last fall, you guys got it good. Come dive Seattle some time.

Oh, Vancouver! That must be 50 lbs. Canadian 34 or so US. :) Dove the Cape Breton, Saskatchewan last fall, you guys got it good. Come dive Seattle some time.

:rofl3: lmao.

I'll join you in Seattle anytime mate. 2500+ dives? Real nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom