Weight drop cold water to tropical?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it's definitely possible. Not definite, of course.

Also, you may be over-weighted for your drysuit but a bit. What drysuit are you diving? Specifically is it tri-lam, crushed neoprene, etc? What undergarments?

I would recommend going with a 3 mm full rather than a shorty. Half length exposure protection has a tendency to throw off trim. You will probably want to buy a lighter back plate, or even a soft back plate. There is no way you are going to need 20 lbs. I weigh about as much as you, and I only need 16 lbs in a 3 mm full suit. You may actually find that your wife needs as much or more weight than you do (by the way, shame on you for revealing her weight on a public website).

I'll happily disagree with the trim statement..

To the OP - remember that your weight needs to offset mostly your thermal protection and the tank (if it goes positive). A 3mm shortie will offer between +6 to +10lbs of buoyancy (depending on size and age) and an Ali 80 is what, +4 lbs at complete empty? So taking the middle ground and assuming you are leaving some air in the tank, that's about -10lbs of weight needed. Personally I use about -4lbs with an ali plate (-3lbs) and can light (-2lbs)but you are a little larger than me thus more neoprene.

Last edited:
6'6" 235 lbs with 10 lb plate and 3 mm shorty.... you will need somewhere between zero and 5-6 lbs of lead... Actually I predict 2 lbs will be about perfect..

You were right on. With a 2.5mm shorty and steel tanks (the shop says they are about neutral when empty) I need no additional weight besides my 10lb SS backplate. I did a weight check by emptying the tank to 500 lbs and I could easily sink. I may be even overweighted.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom