Weight Belts and Frustrations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namabiru:
Losing... the weight system. Sorry, how could you almost lose your weights? Yeah, I know, they magically become unbuckled--the buckle was loose and managed to come off while you were focused on watching the local friendly shark eat your instructor/divemaster. But...

IF you've done your pre-dive safety check, the one's that taught but some people neglect, you should have had the belt secure. Yes?
I have had my weight belt slip off twice in the past year. The first time was when going down a line in a ripping current, and the line rubbed on my belt buckle, loosening it. As I let go of the line to do a free descent the last 15 feet, I felt the weight had shifted. Grabbed my belt and it almost fell off!
The second time was when I was extremely overweighted (suggested I wear more weight, as I wearing a heavier rental wetsuit in a new dive scenerio.), I was coming up the line after my safety stop and the line again dislodged the buckle. I was compensating for the large amount of lead with an inflated wing. When the belt came loose, I had to quickly figure out how to hold onto the weight belt AND keep from poppping to the surface. My buddy figured out what was happening, and grabbed my weight belt so I could deflate my wing.
So, yes, your weight belt can come off. Learning how to put it back on is a necessary skill.

Scuba_Jenny:
So, yes, your weight belt can come off. Learning how to put it back on is a necessary skill.

Jenny you are absolutely right. In my eralier post I considered it as an R&R exercise but as you note it can get away on it's own and then you need to deal with it.

Pete

PerroneFord:
Ok, this may seem like a really dumb question, but WHY do you prefer weights that slide around? I know personally that when I did have to wear a weight belt, i HATED having my weights move and throw me off balance underwater.

I thought it was common practice to use weightstops (tri-glides) or twists to keep the weight from moving around. Please pardon my ignorance.
I like my weights moveable, not sliding all over the place. I occasionally move them around depending on the conditions. I've not had a problem of them sliding around on their own free will. Just personal preference.

Greetings from chillier saltwaters...

The comments regarding 5-7 lbs of weight are great....I know that weight when I'm in warm water. When i did my OW cert I was (overweighted) with 45lbs of weight...30 of which were on a weight belt. Drysuit...with all the undergarments (as it was snowing topside!!)

Trying to do the weightbelt removal on the surface was difficult...partly due to my frigid fingers trying to manipulate the belt back throught the buckle.

Before purchasing my own gear, my rental set up for the following advanced class included the heavy weightbelt, which slipped over my derierre and off as I surfaced during a boat dive. Down went my instructor to fetch the belt, with the help of a lift bag.

Now, my weight is correct (not nearly as much...) and I dive steel tanks. So, my 24 lbs of weight that remains is fully integrated into my BCD. I can ditch if need be...but don't foresee that being an issue.

When you're starting out...diving seems hard. Alot of work. Relax. Somewhere between dives 25-40, you're going to realize that "Wow...that was an absolutely effortless experience." From then on...you're golden!

Cindy
http://www.girldiver.com

namabiru:
Just did my OW cert., and had very few major problems with the skills. Except for that one where they make you take your weight belt off underwater and put it back on. I was eventually able to do that with a bit of help from my instructor. But the surface... big failure. The damn thing weighed about a gabillion pounds, and it kept making me roll all over in the water. I was so frickin' tired! Finally my instructor said 'no big deal, chances are you wouldn't take off and put back on on the surface anyway, and you wouldn't do it much underwater anyway unless you didn't do your safety check beforehand and you got something tangled'.

But I was still shamed. You know?

Anyone else have a problem like this? Am I just a big sissy, or is it truly a difficult task? I honestly tried my best, but I just couldn't do it.

Sorry if I sound flaky. :mfight:

No, not flaky... just a bit intimidated. I know you don't think those skills are useful, but I can tell you that they DO come in handy.

For example: I have an arthritic knee that makes it difficult to climb up a dive ladder with all my gear on. So I take off the weight belt at the surface & hand it up to the tender, then the rest of my gear. That way I can climb up with just my mask & snorkel. Similarly, I have made entries/exits that DID require me to be able to put on or take off all my gear in the water.

If you do it often enough it becomes 2nd nature.... just like your other dive skills.

So practice, practice, practice! :thumb:

Bonne chance,

ah thank gawd i only carry 5 lbs of burden . . . back to ur topic. . . nothin to be ashamed about it, we have mistakes every now and then, and u are only a beginner diver. . . soooo . . . that is already an excuse. . . :)

Scuba_Jenny:
I have had my weight belt slip off twice in the past year. The first time was when going down a line in a ripping current, and the line rubbed on my belt buckle, loosening it. As I let go of the line to do a free descent the last 15 feet, I felt the weight had shifted. Grabbed my belt and it almost fell off!
The second time was when I was extremely overweighted (suggested I wear more weight, as I wearing a heavier rental wetsuit in a new dive scenerio.), I was coming up the line after my safety stop and the line again dislodged the buckle. I was compensating for the large amount of lead with an inflated wing. When the belt came loose, I had to quickly figure out how to hold onto the weight belt AND keep from poppping to the surface. My buddy figured out what was happening, and grabbed my weight belt so I could deflate my wing.
My trip report with the loose weight belt.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1201178&postcount=35

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom