Weight Belts and Frustrations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you should do is look into a weight harness such as the DUI Weight and Trim System http://www.dui-online.com/bc_wt.htm I find that it is wonderful especially for folks who don't have much of a waist and require lots of weight to dive comfortably. Weights are ditched by pulling the large yellow handles and the danger of losing the weight system (and resultant inadvertent positive buoyancy) are almost nil at depth.

Losing... the weight system. Sorry, how could you almost lose your weights? Yeah, I know, they magically become unbuckled--the buckle was loose and managed to come off while you were focused on watching the local friendly shark eat your instructor/divemaster. But...

IF you've done your pre-dive safety check, the one's that taught but some people neglect, you should have had the belt secure. Yes?

When you are shaped like a pear and don't have a waist it is very easy to have your belt slip down round your ankles. Once cut a weight belt for a diver and judged the length to be 60 inches and it turned out to be too short. I recommend the harness for all with larger midsections and they all love them. Since the weight is borne partially by the shoulders the belt is not tight around the waist thus you can slide it up and down for fantastic trim too.

Do you have a picture of one of these harnesses? I've heard them talked about, but I've never seen one.

Sorry, this digs back a bit. There are two problems with extra lift in lieu of ditchable weight. First, it is hard for your buddy to cure your negative buoyancy problem at depth. With weights, your buddy can just ditch your weight and up you go. Similarly, if you are unconscious on the surface your buddy can ditch your weight and keep you there. This is far easier than inflating your BC.

Second, the situation in which you envision having to become quickly positively buoyant is when your BC is not working. Your suit is compressed and you pull the corrugated hose off your BC. Oops. Now what? It is possible but extremely difficult to put air in the BC. It is possible but extremely difficult to swim your weights up to the surface. It is possible that your buddy will think to add buoyancy to his own rig to help you surface. But a much easier and more direct solution is to ditch a few pounds and pop up.

I'm not getting a clear picture of the procedure you used to don your belt at the surface. In OW, my instructor had us do something really simple. Reg in the mouth, we held the buckle. Then we lay on our back with the buckle against our belly (so the belt was already wrapped partially around our body, and was hanging underneath us). Then, still horizontal, we rolled over. Now the belt is lying comfortably in position across the back, with the ends on either side and the buckle still comfortably gripped. Grab the other end, and thread it through the buckle. Now you can go vertical and adjust if you want, or roll over, or whatever.

Well,

Why would it be hard for my buddy to "cure" my problem of being negative at depth? The only thing that would make me negative at depth would be a failed BC. Solution, grab me and inflate his BC. Shoot bag, hang.

Unconscious at the surface I'll buy. But in that case, he'd cut my gear off hopefully.

How on EARTH would I pull the corrugated hose off my BC? That makes no sense. Anyway it is not difficult at all to swim my gear up. Why would it be? I weight about 5-8 pounds in the water. If you cant pick up a 5lb weight off the bottom and swim it up, you need to stop diving. And I don't know about you, but about the LAST thing I want to do when I'm diving and have an emergency is to "pop up".

PenguinAdLitem:
Sorry, this digs back a bit. There are two problems with extra lift in lieu of ditchable weight. First, it is hard for your buddy to cure your negative buoyancy problem at depth. With weights, your buddy can just ditch your weight and up you go. Similarly, if you are unconscious on the surface your buddy can ditch your weight and keep you there. This is far easier than inflating your BC.

Second, the situation in which you envision having to become quickly positively buoyant is when your BC is not working. Your suit is compressed and you pull the corrugated hose off your BC. Oops. Now what? It is possible but extremely difficult to put air in the BC. It is possible but extremely difficult to swim your weights up to the surface. It is possible that your buddy will think to add buoyancy to his own rig to help you surface. But a much easier and more direct solution is to ditch a few pounds and pop up.

I use a belt with pouches for the weights. No sliding, no twisting the belt, etc. Easy on and off...

Most LDS's carry them.

Mike

PerroneFord:
???

How would the weight slide off?
All too easily !! Not everyone uses the little things that keep them in place or put a twist in the belt. I prefer to be able to slide my weights about. I've seen many a weight drop off belts onto dive decks.

Bubble Junky:
All too easily !! Not everyone uses the little things that keep them in place or put a twist in the belt. I prefer to be able to slide my weights about. I've seen many a weight drop off belts onto dive decks.

Ok, this may seem like a really dumb question, but WHY do you prefer weights that slide around? I know personally that when I did have to wear a weight belt, i HATED having my weights move and throw me off balance underwater.

I thought it was common practice to use weightstops (tri-glides) or twists to keep the weight from moving around. Please pardon my ignorance.

PerroneFord:
I thought it was common practice to use weightstops (tri-glides) or twists to keep the weight from moving around. Please pardon my ignorance.

No ignorance PerroneFord, some folks just haven't been shown or sold the weight keepers. Also from what I've seen vacation divers and others using rental/issued weights probably won't see them either. When I travel I bring my belt, buckle and keepers that way I'm pretty much true to my original configuration. With a little practice it has little impact on time to configure.

You can see the Harness on the DUI site, Weight & Trim is the brand name. I use one with my drysuit, it lets my weight ride lower than my hips (for trim) and eliminates the possibility of a catastrophic belt loss with the varriability of the drysuit. I can also wear it slightly loose at the waist which lets air move as needed.

Back to the OP....
Was you BC jacket perhaps so long you could not get the belt back up where it needed to go? I have seen the same thing happen to shorter divers with AL-80s hanging down low.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom