Weekly Dive-Nov 10th, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M.gong and Nikolai you guys have come to the right place... Rick and the other crabs will take care of you. This is what the beach crabs is all about!

:bubble_fi: so i have heard. Ken has been telling me how great you guys are, especially to newbies. i am so looking forwards to it.

Yeah I've been nosing around here a while , just never post ..not much of a forum rat :)
but I've gotten the impression this might be a good group to hook up with. Now I just need to find a tank..

I'm stubborn and absolutely refuse to ever step foot again in the LDS i got certified with and all they rent are ancient steel LP 72's. I guess tomorrow I'm tryin Sport Chalet to rent some aluminum floaters. Would anyone have any advice on how much more weight I would need going from Steel LP 72's to AL80's ? I can find absolutely no info anywhere that has any buoyancy/weight info on these old tanks.

Thanks.
Nick

Well, a Faber steel 72 is 3.7 lbs. negative (buoyancy) when empty.
An aluminum 80 could be as much as 4.4 pounds positive (buoyancy) when empty.

That could mean having to add as much as 8.1 pounds to your rig assuming you were well weighted for your 72.

I think I would rather dive the steel 72 you are use to.

8 Pounds! <sigh>

Well to be honest I'm serious enough about diving that I am buying my own tank(s) asap. I don't mind trying the AL80 'cause hey, its cheap! and I could afford two of them.

I was actually going to head to my LDS today and buy either a HP100 or 120 but they pulled their typical bait and switch with the price on me. Told me the other day it was $390 for the 120 and today was told $459 plus $25 for VIP plus I forgot how much for a boot. Total came to a little over $500 for a friggin tank. Needless to say I walked out.

I guess I'll bring plenty of weight then and worst case If the surge is bad everyone can just use me as an anchor :wink:

Thanks
-Nick

8 Pounds! <sigh>

I guess I'll bring plenty of weight then and worst case If the surge is bad everyone can just use me as an anchor :wink:

:rofl3: ha ha, you should totally go boat diving. the captain can simply tie their anchor line to you and throw you off board. just don't sink the boat.

seriously, i am absolutely in a state of confusion of all this weight business after reading the advices from other people. some say 28 lbs for me sound just about fine, some say it is way too much. :shakehead: i should have learned to be a rocket scientist rather than a diver. :D

am i spending too much time on this forum? :no

:bubble_fi: so i have heard. Ken has been telling me how great you guys are, especially to newbies. i am so looking forwards to it.

You've certainly come to the right spot, Marvin. Unfortunately I am going to be out of town this weekend. I hope that you enjoy your dive this weekend, and I'll see you at the next beach crabs dive.

Before you guys go spending any of your hard earned money I would talk to a fellow by the name Tevis (archangel on here)... If you want to get the best advice and not a sales pitch he is your man! He is a fellow Crab who wants to get you into the gear that YOU need, not the gear that your local dive shop has in stock. Sorry to hijack this thread... so a beach dive huh!

First of all, I want to extend a welcome to Marvin and Nick, from the Beach Crabs. Welcome aboard, guys!

Nick, to address your weighting question. Everyones body composition is different, and there is no magic number. A weight check is the best way to decide the amount. I suggest since you are new to beach diving, use the tanks you have been diving, and are used to using, at least for a couple dives. There are a few things going on on your first dives, and you need to concentrate on the entry, descent, and general bouyancy, as well as the ascent. When you change your tank from one you are used to diving, it will take some getting used to. Save the change for when you are comfortable with the dive.

I do carry extra weight to the dives, and will assist you.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Rick

Listen to the Rickster.
He is a wise [-]old[/-] Crab.

Trust me..umm...him...there are way too many other new things to worry about on your first beach dive...and your second and your third....

Stick with what you know and are use to for gear.

The biggest problem for me has been that I have never dove the same exact gear configuration twice. As far as beach diving, on my 3 beach dives I've used:

1. A steel LP72 with a 7mm full suit: 24lbs weight
2. An AL63 with a 3mm shorty: 14lbs weight
3. An AL80 with a 3mm shorty: 16lbs weight

I own all of my own gear except a tank so at least everything else doesn't change. To be honest I just need to buy a tank and dive only that so I can finally get some valid numbers for weighting and start dialing in trim issues I've been having.

-Nick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom