Weekend Drive Trips around CO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The B/H is light and clear. There is a high water flow (I think 3000 gallons per hour) from the spring which cleanses the water and keeps it clean. You can often see the entire hole from any position, maybe a little cloudy when its full of silt kicking divers. The only downside is some people (wimpy dry suit entombed instructors?) think the water is a little cool. I think refreshing! In any case the water is about as clear as you can get unless you hit a tropical destination.

The only time the B/H is dark is at night. It is actually a good place to night dive since it is impossible to get lost and after a few day dives you know the lay of the land. Starting the dive just after sunset allow you to acclimatize with a slow reduction in ambient light. I realize night diving may not be on your immediate to-do list but it is a worthwhile mode once you feel comfortable. Anyplace you night dive is like an entire new site with no extra travel.

Thanks Robin and Parker(?). I guess I will look in to the dry suit class. :( I'm kinda worried about spending the money, but if that is the only way to really dive a lot around CO then I guess I will have to do it. It might have to be a couple of months though...Thank you so much for the info because I wouldn't have realized how cold it was until I got all the way down there and couldn't dive, and then I would have been pissed!

Anything thoughts about Panama City Beach in July? I should be ok in my 3mm suit, right??

why are you going to Pamama City? From Colorado it is cheaper to go to Cozumel or Fla Keys, diving would be much better by a mile, too. :D Denver has direct flights to Cozumel and to Ft Lauderdale (rent car, drive down to Key Largo). Much clearer water and fishlife in those locations and much better location for a new diver, IMHO.

as far as wetsuits and body temp go - you need to realize that your body temp drops when you dive, depending on water temp and how many dives you do on successive days. If you are only doing a day of diving, then you won't notice it. If you are diving every day for a week 2-3 dives per day, then you will start to get chilly after a few days wearing exactly the same suit. For that reason, most experienced divers start out with a heavier suit that you would expect so by the end of the week they are still warm each dive.
I got a shortie when I first got certified, thought it would be okay. I didn't use it again after the first year - got a nice 3mm fullsuit which not only was warmer, but also protected my skin from any accidental abrasions and stings from anything in water like jellyfish and such.

robin:D

why are you going to Pamama City?
robin:D

Thanks Robin!

I have family in Panama City Beach, so we are going diving (me and a couple of certified family members out there) while visiting this summer.

The B/H is light and clear. There is a high water flow (I think 3000 gallons per hour) from the spring which cleanses the water and keeps it clean. You can often see the entire hole from any position, maybe a little cloudy when its full of silt kicking divers. The only downside is some people (wimpy dry suit entombed instructors?) think the water is a little cool. I think refreshing! In any case the water is about as clear as you can get unless you hit a tropical destination.

The only time the B/H is dark is at night. It is actually a good place to night dive since it is impossible to get lost and after a few day dives you know the lay of the land. Starting the dive just after sunset allow you to acclimatize with a slow reduction in ambient light. I realize night diving may not be on your immediate to-do list but it is a worthwhile mode once you feel comfortable. Anyplace you night dive is like an entire new site with no extra travel.

OOhhh! Good to know!! Thanks so much! I had ruled it out as a dark place, but I will reconsider a trip now! :)

I've been looking at going but its a bit too far for me from slc. But check out some of the dive videos on youtube, it looks much lighter than the Crater.

YouTube - Blue Hole New Mexico

Thanks! I didn't realize there were so many videos of Blue Hole on You Tube! It looks a lot clearer and brighter than Homestead Crater. Looks like a great place to continue my practice/experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom