Weekend Drive Trips around CO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG you guys are cracking me up!

Thanks for posting the video Robin, that looks like sooooo much fun! I can't wait! I got a skin suit (?) and wore that for my class because my wetsuit was on back order. I wonder if the layering of a bathing suit, skin suit, and 3m wet suit would be enough for Blue Hole in the summer? The thought of renting a wetsuit is kinda gross....but I want to go, so if I have to then I will!

We are going to Utah April 10-11, and I'll post when we go to Blue Hole (or anywhere else) so we can get a group together! That sounds like a blast, and I would love to hear what locals buy/use/rent and tips/tricks! Thanks everyone!

Welcome, Tiffany! If you hit up the Blue Hole rent a 7mm or, if you prefer, take a Dry Suit class that does the ow dives at BH ... that way you not only learn how to dive dry, but the dry suit rental and air should be included in the class price (your shop and milleage may vary). I like being cold and have a much higher tolerance for it than most I meet, but that water get's downright chilly there =)

Tips/tricks ... on sunny days fill up a jug of water and set it on the dash of your car to warm up from the sun, then dump it down your back during surface intervals (if you go the wetsuit route). If you rent a thick suit for a trip like to BH from Boulder, do a weight check in Boulder -- you'll need a lot more weight than you are currently used to for a thicker (more buoyant) suit.

Also, when dining in Santa Rosa, don't order anything but the Mexican food at Joe's, trust me. It may be fried, and it may be steak, but that thing ain't a chicken fried steak.

Thanks Robin and Parker(?). I guess I will look in to the dry suit class. :( I'm kinda worried about spending the money, but if that is the only way to really dive a lot around CO then I guess I will have to do it. It might have to be a couple of months though...Thank you so much for the info because I wouldn't have realized how cold it was until I got all the way down there and couldn't dive, and then I would have been pissed!

Anything thoughts about Panama City Beach in July? I should be ok in my 3mm suit, right??

You don't necessarily need a class. There are plenty of locals that can teach one how to dive in a dry suit! A LOT of us do so often. I will be going down to BH in April along with other divers on this forum.

You can take classes, or you can start to dive locally so to speak with folks like me that dive often in the area. I guess renting a drysuit maybe a problem without a class due to the "take a class and buy our over priced drysuit" local diveshop mentality.

If yoy have money to burn, burn it as that is an easy route to go unless money means anything. For most of us unfortunately it does. Up to you what route to take, but if you want to dive locally a drysuit is the way to go.

Another thing to consider is cost. I purchased my drysuit used (Bare NexGen) for $400 with underwear. I've been diving that for 4+ years, so a drysuit does not have to cost the farm.

Next local trip for me is BH likely at the end of this month. You are welcome to join, and a 7mm is fine this time of year.

Thanks Robin and Parker(?). I guess I will look in to the dry suit class. :( I'm kinda worried about spending the money, but if that is the only way to really dive a lot around CO then I guess I will have to do it. It might have to be a couple of months though...Thank you so much for the info because I wouldn't have realized how cold it was until I got all the way down there and couldn't dive, and then I would have been pissed!

Anything thoughts about Panama City Beach in July? I should be ok in my 3mm suit, right??
Not a problem ... if money's tight, just rent a 7mm and a hood as well (or at least a beanie). I only recommended the class because at least at the rental rates I've seen it's almost more economical to take the PADI class and have the rental and tank fees included than to just rent the stuff (plus you get the education on how to use the thang).

Never been to Panama City Beach, but found this via Google:

Panama City Beach Guide - Water and Air Temperature Table

At 84 degrees you might debate even bothering with a wetsuit unless it's a shorty ...

Assuming you are going to move on to do AOW, one of the specialties that you can have included is dry suit. And shops like A1 scuba do have them for rent for $50 for a weekend.

And yes you can do it without an instructor, however, doing a series of dives with an instructor can reduce the learning curve quite a bit.

The Water in Panama City in July should be in the mid 70's from what I can remember. I would think a 3m suit should keep you warm enough, but my experience would be top swimming, not diving there.

Thanks so much goonsquad. I have a 3mil full wetsuit, but I am looking at a shorty now. Several people have told me that the water is in the high 70's-low 80's and a full suit may be too hot.

Thanks Ron, Georoc01, and Parker for the info about Blue Hole and Dry Suits. After diving in Homestead Crater this weekend (and finishing my Open Water certification! yay!) I don't know if I want to go to BH now. I had a really hard time with the darkness and freaked out at one point. I sucked it up and finished the dive, and I am really proud of myself because this whole thing is a big deal for me, since I am terrified of drowning and of dark water. I know I need more experience to get comfortable in the full gear and so far under the surface (I am an avid swimmer, but always at the surface, so this is a big change).

Anyway, how dark is Blue Hole? I think I need a brighter, less creepy place next, to get a little more comfortable with the whole thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom