Wednesday's (5/12) Maui pic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a 5-6 mile paddle if I'm not mistaken Gilligan. At my paddling rate that's a couple of hours each way. You're a tough cookie.

Molokini Crater is about 4 miles offshore from Black Sand Beach at Pu'u Olai. It is a perfect location to launch. However the State banned kayaks from there because it is officially part of the State Park (Big Beach).
The next closest place to launch is the Maui Prince Hotel beach. It adds a little more to the distance.
I last paddled over to Molokini in October of 2002. It took me one hour to get there at a steady pace. I'm looking forward to it as I did not have the C4000, external strobe or WAL on the last trip. We will likely have to dive inside the crater so as to be able to anchor the kayaks unless it is so calm that we can tow them while on the Back Wall or Reef's End without the risk of them drifting into the crater wall.

4 mph is pretty awesome as far as I'm concerned. I wondered if on a calm day you could do the back wall or not. On our last trip to molokini we did the front wall which starts around 120 feet deep or so if I'm not mistaken. I'm mistaken a lot of course. It was a nice change of pace.

I can anchor in the sand channel inside the crater and do a 100 foot dive there and/or cross over Reef's End to outside the crater then cross back over. Only problem with that is if the current is running very strong outside you run the risk of not being able to get back over. In that case you wind up on the Back Wall without a paddle (or kayak) so to speak.

We did a boat dive over reefs end and it ended up being a drift dive. The good thing was the dive leader noticed it and kept us all going. The captain must have read our minds as he was waiting for us where we came up.

Gilligan, I was wondering if you consider paddling to and from the sites as exercise that might make you suseptable(sp?) to an undeserved hit. I know strenuous exercise is not advised after diving, but know little about the effort you expend to paddle your kayak. Just curious.

Jet

Oh, I almost forgot. Nice pics :dance:

Jetwrench, that is always a concern, especially when I paddle over to Molokini. I paddle at an even pace and don't over work it. So far so good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom