Webbly, wobbly webbing with H's on it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Before I took the DIRF class, I was using the webbing sent to me by Fred T. Of course I had to replace it at the class, seeing as I had installed on mine the dreaded, evil QR.

So I bought the new webbing from 5th D - the Halcyon brand with blue H's all over it (a definite rule 6 violation, so I faced the H's inward so as not to be seen).

Anyway, the new webbing is much more pliable, which makes it easier to escape from my kit without the QR, but also makes the D rings all loosey-goosey, not firmly in place like they were in my old webbing. This makes clipping off a bit more difficult.

Any opinions on the firm vs. the lose webbing?

Doc Intrepid:
Only Strokes use the H webbing...
:D!!!

<just kidding> :wink:

Stiffer webbing actually is easier to get out of, most divers find. OTOH, crotch strap webbing you want pretty soft, as it tends to chafe your drysuit pretty good if you use the stiff webbing for crotchstraps.

Hell, go to any dive shop that sells (black, naturally) weightbelt webbing off a roll. Buy 10' or so, it's like .66 cents a foot. Take the H stuff and set it aside for whatever. Rethread your plate with the stiff stuff. Problem solved.

I just re-threaded two plates. I used the mil spec stuff from Dive Rot Express. Its a nice compromise between seatbelt crotch strap soft stuff and the evil it'll mellow out in about 100 dives stiff stuff.

I like it.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I just re-threaded two plates. I used the mil spec stuff from Dive Rot Express. Its a nice compromise between seatbelt crotch strap soft stuff and the evil it'll mellow out in about 100 dives stiff stuff.

I like it.

---
Ken
Found it HERE. Thanks, Ken. Is it stiffer than the H brand?

Rick;

I've used the Dive Rite mil spec webbing in the past. I wouldn't call it stiff. Honestly probably on par with the halcyon stuff. If you want stiff you need the full on weightbelt webbing.

Marc

Rick Inman:
so I faced the H's inward so as not to be seen).

Either they are visible on the shoulder straps or on the waist band. If they are facing inward everywhere you have webbed them wrong ";-)

Rick,
If you can't get the problem worked out let me know.
I'll see if I can't get Larry the Laser guy to cut some of my special, rooty-tooty, fresh and fruity stainless steel keepers with narrow slots and send them to ya.

the K

Just FYI, I am very happy with the Reef Scuba webbing. Just the right width, just the right stiffness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom