Webbing color, why black?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

because I think it gives my girlish figure a slimming effect. ROFL :wink:

Actually, I am easily distracted, and I don't know if I could handle bright colors. LOL

If green works for you, then that's all that matters. As long as you can dive safely, that's the important thing. More so than the color of the webbing.

good luck

i like black.
most people i dive with like black.
most of us have black.
but...
the pictures absolutly do not come out as good as those people that are very colorful.

Diverdman once bubbled...
I am a drama queen and this was something that stood out.
Thanks Bernie
Even Deeper page 317
I was now grateful that Wolfgang was undeterred by what others would think about his wearing pink,
my wife prefers the black.

It was one of my favorite passages, as well. But it is a matter of how you read it. The diver was wearing a Pink BACK-UP REG when the author was having a severe air leak with a deco obligation and had severe vertigo. The author knew where his buddy was, but he wanted/needed to find the back-up reg. so that he could breathe. Note too that the author knew his depth well enough to know that he needed to trace the hose from that reg to the back tanks of the diver on the line to ensure that he wasn't getting a breath of pure oxygen that deep. The other diver was *not* wearing pink webbing or electric colored gear. The skill and experience of the divers involved with this incident was just as important (or I would say more important than) as the colors of the authors dive buddy.

I know of a couple of tech divers that we have nicknamed the "Michigan Bumblebee Tech Divers" or the "Bumblebee Brothers" because they wear all yellow and black. They are easy to find underwater and they have fun with it. But, myself and the tech diving instructor wear all black. We are all considered very good divers (although I will admit to being the least experienced of the group by far and having much to learn about this style of diving). I don't like shopping for color and most gear is marketed in black.

The colors that we wear don't matter. The fact of the matter is that we all do our best to keep track of our dive buddies and still not be too stressed to have a good time. We actually use our dive lights on objects as much as anything to communicate. Once I learned this and applied to my recreational diving, my dive buddies love this trick and most of us are starting to use it.

Wear the colors that you want to wear. I have a minor gripe about the lack of color in recreational gear marketed for men myself. But, what works for one diver may not work for another and it affects the skill and experience of said diver not one iota.

Colored gear does not a diver make...........
what works for you works......
always remember
Dive often, dive safe, and most of all don't worry...... be happy!:)
Rob

Lets be honest.
We have all black gear so when our nosy neighbors see us coming and going at all hours with our all black gear in big trucks, they think we work for a secret government agency :wink:

Freedivers in my area wear black so the fish will not see them easily. Also, someone once said that black equiopment breaks down less in the sun than does other colors like neon. I think black is less expensive than other colors and that is why traditionally dive equipment came in black.

joed once bubbled...
I think black is less expensive than other colors and that is why traditionally dive equipment came in black.

Actually, it all came in black because, historically speaking, that was the only color the basic materials came in. Only when rubber, nylon and neoprene manufacturers realized there was some profit to be had by producing other colors did we start to "blossom", so to speak!!!:thumb:

lal7176 once bubbled...
So your saying a colored harness should take place of good buddy awareness. Knowing where your buddy is at all times is the key to buddy awareness, not bright colored harness straps. Why not cover yourself in strobes, that should make you easy to find even at depth. :D
Hmm... a medium-dollar accessory combined with a compromise in skill/awareness requirements...

I smell a new PADI specialty: High-Viz Diver.

I have yelllow, blue, green and of course black webbing on various back plates because, well, because they were avaialble and what the heck. :)

In no way is color part of any kind of dive plan or information, it just happens to be there.

Roak

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom