Trip Report Aug 2013 (LONG POST--NOT JUST DIVING)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nuub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trip Report Bonaire 8.23 - 8.30.2013

Diving
Overall - wow! great diving. Shore diving is a breeze, though some ironshore entries can be a teeny bit tricky. Vis was very very good for the most part - 80’ visibility was a bad day. You get spoiled real quick. I’m a little concerned that other easy to get to dive vacation sites won’t measure up - We ran into many repeat visitors from around the world that you begin to wonder.. Abundant fish life everywhere during all dives, except for some blown out areas near shore. Just walking around on the seawall, you can look into the water and see some enormous parrots and puffers. Huge Urchins too.
We did the AOW course while there, so the first two days were repeat dives at Cliff and Cha cha cha.
Night dives are awesome. Holy crap those Tarpon are HUGE. There were a couple that were as long as our divemaster, who was 6’. I got a clear view as it would swim alongside her waiting to gulp a fish. BUT there were also many of these ‘bloodworms’ that would come spiraling up from the bottom in a corkscrew swim, attracted to the light. They were extremely creepy and freaked us out. I would hit them with the light and they’d break up like a nightmare into tiny wiggly bits. Yeech.
We used Dive Friends, who are aptly named. Everyone we dealt with were super friendly and great. Some are characters. Prices were really reasonable, and they have five locations were you can pickup tanks so you don;t have to go far from any west coast or southern site. Small boat, no more than 10 divers per plus captain, DM and assistant. Special shout outs to Suus and Tim. There was just my sister and I for many dives with them, and they are cool to hang out with afterwards.
Here are some highlights of specific sites:

Rappel and Bloodlet
Northern trips were definitely a highlight, don’t miss. Super clear and and shelf-and-reef wall system that meant you could do the deep stuff on the way out, and the upper shelf on the way back, so you see something new the whole dive. Very interesting terrain with big Fans, hard staghorn, plate, christmas tree corals and linguini and black corals, and crevices and wallish nooks and crannies all along the mini-wall. Turtles, Eels, Lionfish, Spotted Drum, Cleaner shrimp, beautiful schools of Chromis and the usual cast of reef fish everywhere. Bloodlet was especially pristine-looking. Great visibility.

Cliff
Dove it a few times during the day and did our night UV dive here. Good variety of life, saw the remains of the statue and my first moray of the trip in it. Big puffers with their permanent smiles (love them!). My sister got stung here by some jellies. This site was a good intro into Bonaire. Lots of usual reef fish - parrots, schoolmasters, trunkfish and the like. My favorites are the tiny pea-sized juvenile boxfish - they are so cute! Spotted my only arrow crab of the trip here. Big brain boulder corals.
Night UV dive was psychedelic. They have special issue Blue lights with Orange filters that fit over your mask. Really really cool to see the neon glow of sealife. The brain and star coral was really awesome, and scorpionfish and sanddivers light up like cheap shirts at a disco. Noticed that there were more worms crawling around on the coral than I ever suspected during day dives. Brittlestars unfold at night, looking really beautiful. Glowing lettuce slugs. Some coral were fluorescing bright yellow, red and orange and blue - colors unexpected underwater, so vivid!
But for me, the squadron of Huge Tarpon that accompanied us stole the show. I swear some were 5-6 ft long and thicker around than my fat thighs. They glide around you effortlessly and I watched the biggest one often glide just over a diver’s shoulder, looking for something interesting to eat. When they did, you could hear a “THOMP” sound as they sucked in a fish. I experimented and shined a light on a small fish and followed it around - sure enough, a Tarpon quickly “THOMP”ed it right up.

Something Special
Very nice reef with great variety of life and opportunities for macro photography. Saw two HUGE yellow morays in the same crevice down about 37’- I think that means they were mating? They were both bigger around than my thigh, at least 6’ long. Lots of Pedersons shrimp, and graceful, tall purple vase sponges. Watched a couple of groupers have a battle over some territory. The smaller fish won! I stared intensely at some debris that I suspected were frogfish, but no. More tiny fry everywhere, including the pea-sized juvenile boxfish. Lots of big parrots, sergeant majors, hogfish, sharptail eel - etc..

Bari -
Our house reef. Unfortunately, we went only at dusk and it got dark too quick. We entered from the small beach to the left of the Sand Dollar. The grumpy guy from BDA yelled at me to stay away from their dock, don’t come near or swim under it! (You kids get off my lawn!) Wow, ok Mr. Grumpy. Big Vase sponges.
Later in the trip, we snorkeled it on our non-dive day and saw more eels than I’d seen on the entire trip combined. Walk down the steel staircase from Sanddollar, get in the water and look to the right. There are pipes that have been placed there which are a magnet for Morays. Saw some spotted ones and purple mouth and a yellow. We got to watch the big yellow moray free swim for a bit toward us. It was friendly - though with those teeth, I was backing up and keeping some distance from him. Saw a few peacock flounders (damn good camo!) and a giant school of Boga (baitfish) that was cool to swim with.

Hilma Hooker -
My first wreck dive - very cool. Can’t add much more to what’s been said about it. It’s big and imposing, especially as you come on it and figure out that what you thought was cloudy water is actually the side of a ship! Found some translucent banded blue shrimp near the bow that didn’t mind me sticking a camera on macro right up to them. A cleaning station maybe? Spooky and toothy big barracuda trying hard to look like part of the mast. A squad of tarpon flew by. Honeycombed cowfish with the horns. The reef was nice too, with lots of fish - saw a juvenile spotted drum here - they are so pretty it’s a wonder they don’t get eaten quickly. Maybe they just taste bad.

Invisibles
Double Reef system, saw big schools of schoolmasters and black Durgeons. Saw a couple of enormous groupers on the outer reef. Garden eels up shallow in only about 20’ of water. also a rare Sand Eel our divemaster Suus found for us. Lettuce slugs and a Flamenco tongue. Scorpionfish, well camouflaged. tilefish among the seafans, hiding like seahorses (but no seahorses spotted). Pretty little juvenile Queen Triggerfish.

Margate Bay
Interestingly, not that many Black Margates! But still a lot of life and schools of Snapper, Chromis and Schoolmasters. More trumpetfish here than any other place, probably because this site was full of sea fans and linguini coral (sponge?). Great variety of terrain and densely covered in coral and seafans and gorgonians. Gorgeous terrain-wise, big christmas trees of hard corals. A couple of turtles and peacock flounders in the sand and grass before the reef began. A big friendly puffer followed us for a bit.

Salt Pier -
Really interesting dive and unfortunately our worst vis at about 80’ (!). We lost track of which leg were exploring and had to go up and surface swim back. Enormous school of Boga (batifish) that was so dense it was like a silver shimmering living aluminum foil above and around you. Really neat. Piers had good life, of course. We saw the biggest Blue Parrot - it was at least 4 ft and maybe 80 pounds. Spotted drum, schools of bigger fish like schoolmasters and other snapper-types. Turtle. The single Biggest Barracuda I’ve ever seen. It must have been at least 5 ft. Many smaller ones too - lots of food here.

Klein - Knife to Sampler to No Name Beach
Did a nice drift dive from Knife to No Name. Wall dive. Lots of Spaghetti coral, hard and soft corals, orange sponges. Kind of blown out toward the end near the beach.

Klein - South Bay
Saw pedersons, lionfish. Nice terrain and mini wallish with many coves and nooks. Divemaster pointed out a frogfish but it was too crowded, so i didn’t see it. Saw lots of turtles.

Cha Cha Cha
Did a lot of the training here - DiveFriends has an underwater course and navigation setup. Also did our first night dive here. There is an ENORMOUS green moray living in the giant engine block. He was huge with big teeth, and flared his full height and stared at us sideways. He was showing off or threatening us. After staring at him for a while, we finned past, but I kept looking back to see if he was following us. Saw some big 6 inch seahorses. They are resident among some black wire sponge. Also saw a seahorse kind of out in the middle of nowhere in the sandy flat hanging on a tiny bit of coral. Our first encounter with nighttime Tarpon. They are big and graceful. They even seem to be having fun, hunting by our flashlights. This is where we saw all the bloodworms at night. eek.

*** Dining
Between Two Buns -
Terrific! We went there twice. Their regular menu sandwiches are made with quality ingredients, well prepared and presented and pretty darn tasty delicious goodness. In contrast, the two non-sandwich specials of the day (a fish jambalaya and pasta dish) were just OK and a bit more spendy. Awesome cold coffee drinks. We asked for ‘iced coffee’ and we were surprised with a cold revelation of what a frappucino is supposed to be. Worth re-ordering, so we did - nothing like a cold coffee apré dive. Yum! Four stars - must check out this place.

Bistro De Paris -
Really really good. Worth a splurge, nice atmosphere, impeccable service, great food.
We had to go here because they were advertising Lionfish ceviche, which was on my sister’s ‘must-eat’ list for Bonaire. When we got there, the bar adjoining was very lively (on a supposedly dead time on Bonaire). We didn’t see any tables open so were a bit concerned since we had reservations. No worries - our tables were off to the left, waterfront along the harbor. Nice!
My sister indeed had the Lionfish ceviche - which was very good, very much like good snapper. She also had some barracuda - which I usually would recommend against, but hers was magically good, not oily at all and not bland - it was a fish without being too fishy. I had the seven hour broasted Leg of Lamb.. Ahhhh! soooo tasty and tender OMG good.

Karel’s
A fun waterfront establishment with three distinct areas - on shore right on the frontage road, across at a waterfront bar, and connected via wide table-laden pier, an over-water bar. This was a really fun place to have a beer or snack, gossip on the people visiting on the live-aboard yachts and people watch. Live music on weekends. Touristy, with a smattering of Dutch locals. But who cares - you come here for the over-the-water bar experience and believe that this is paradise, at least for as long as your beer is cold.
The best Fish and Chips we had all trip. Really unexpectedly good fish. Crunchy outside and moist and flaky inside, as good as the English variety. Awesome Goat stew. Not so good sautéed fish - yuk, in fact. Cold cold Polar and Brights.

City Cafe -
Your typical waterfront tourist bar. We ate there when it was not busy at all. A live DJ was spinning some cool chill vibes Caribbean style. I had a big ass burger which was good. Service was spotty, but with only one waitress there and it being the caribbean, you let it slide and let the post-dive beer rearrange your priorities.
We also walked by there later in the week, and it was packed, loud and looked like a lot of fun.

Gio’s Gelateria -
Best Food Bang for the Buck. As good as it gets world class gelato. This is the place we visited the most often on our week in Bonaire. Pick any ice cream, it’s bound to be great. Some are greater than others depending on your tastebuds. My favorite were Cookie and Double Dark Chocolate. We had Coconut, Vanilla, Peanut Butter, Snickers, Pistachio, Caramel and probably more - all were good. Plus the AC inside was blissfully good, and hanging out inside or out was relaxed. Friendly staff. A little pricey for ice cream, but a great value given the quality ingredients. Yummmmeeeee!

Eddy’s
Pretty Good. We went there once for dinner. Through no fault of their own, it was a sparse night and the energy was a bit low. but service was Caribbean good (i.e. slow but friendly!) and atmosphere was good, with a pool to sit by and nice tropical theme surroundings. When we asked the waiter about the ‘slow season?” he replied “dead season!” and mentioned that a lot of tourist business tend to go on vacation in Sept. and even close over October.
My sister got some fish dish which was a teeny bit overcooked but the trappings were good. I got the goat stew (again!). Yum. I like goat. You just cant find goat in the States outside of the south, and i grew up with it. It was good - the meat was better than at Karel’s, but the sauce wasn’t as good as Karel’s. Nice tropical drinks, replete with fold up umbrellas.

It Rains Fishes
My sister really wanted to go to this place. We read trip reports which raved about this place and it was the top of her list. She was right. It was the best seafood place hands down. The ceviche three ways was outstanding. We were thinking about having the two-person portion to order, but the skinny dutch waitress said that a single order would be enough to share for two. I was skeptical, but she was spot-on. It was a large platter - could easily be a taster size for four people, or even a entree for two. As delicious as it was, we ended up taking some home for Wilhelmina, the resident Sand Dollar cat. Sister also had some fish which was very good. I had a papiamento dish of shredded chicken with cheese on top - meh- I can’t say I’m a fan.

Rumba Cafe -
Three weeks out from our trip, I’m having trouble remembering what we had. I remember it was good, brunchy-breakfasty type fare and that it was the really well priced, good value food. Oddly, when we were there, it was all locals except us, which seemed unusual for a waterfront cafe. Very nice waitress! Big smiles and huge laughs.

Rumrunners at Don’s
This was a great Experience. The food was OK. We chose a couple of entrees - Fish and Goat stew which were good, but not spectacular. What WAS spectacular was our table, right on the edge of the first lower level, overlooking the water. There was a thunder and lightning storm that night to the West and South, providing a natural lightshow over Klein and the Salt Flats down south that was totally dramatic. Luckily, the clouds stayed away and it was clear over our heads the whole night.
It was neat looking into the water where some folks were night diving. It’s entertaining to see the torches go to and fro underwater. You can guess that when something interesting was spotted, as all the lights snapped onto one area to focus on it. Good boozy drinks.

Buddy’s
We go there too late for the Friday night free Rum Punch party. Dang! There was a BBQ steamtable and a luscious looking spit-roasted pig. We got drinks and checked out the BBQ. Looked Way Dry. Service was so slow (it was surprisingly busy) that we managed to talk ourselves out of staying and left. Besides all the good bits (the ears!) of the pig were gone. We consoled ourselves with a trip to Gios.

Pasa Bon Pizza
Damn good pizza. Surprisingly so and a good find. Tasty and good value. And as a bonus, the manager and cashier were having a uhhh ‘tense’ discussion about vacation time while we were waiting for our pizza. Just like New York, for that authentic feel. Bartender is a sweetheart and really friendly. Pick a table under a fan or make sure to wear a lot of mosquito repellant. We would have hung out longer in the nice outdoor patio in back expect that the mossies were out in force. I think only open Wednesday through Sunday.

Bobbejan’s
I’m a fan! Totally local feel with counter and local kids running around. Make sure to have their chicken and ribs. Yummmy!.. good value too. It’s only four tables and a counter, so you may need to do take away. Only open a few days a week, great place to people watch the locals. Shoo fly!

*** Dozing
We stayed at the Sand Dollar. These are timeshare condos, so it's luck of the draw on how good the unit is. Our two bedroom unit (B5) was pretty good from what we could tell (peeking into other units). Screened porch, AC in bedrooms and in the Living room - which we were glad to pay the extra $ for. Nicely equipped kitchen with everything you need and a full sized refrigerator. Sat TV on flatscreens - watch the Bonaire channel - it was interesting. Good Free Wifi! The screen in porch is setup to help you dry your stuff with pegs. Water heater on-demand on timer system that sometimes you had to reset. grounds are OK, with big resident iguanas and friendly, lovely resident cat - Wilhelmina.
Super easy access to dive off the front, and there is even a freshwater shower by DiveFriends that you could use.
DiveFriends is on-site, and an ATM and Between Two Buns, an Ice Cream and Malaysian food place and a convenience store are all within easy walking distance - 2 minute walk. Tennis courts. Pool.
I would stay here again, it's a good value for families and people who don't mind a bit of DIY with their vacation.

(more in next post)

Last edited:
Driving
We thought our rusty truck was a POS - I laughed at the rental guy when we did our ‘pre-rental checkout inspection’. Are you kidding? It had rust spots and minor dents all over! Our truck was from Total , part of the package; who claimed it was only two years old!). These trucks lead a hard hard life - the muffler came loose midway through the trip. It was kinda cool sounding like a drag racer wanna be the last half of the trip. Not so cool was when the muffler assembly finally completely fell off the rear brace a couple days later, causing it to drag and create a trail of sparks behind us. Luckily, I was able to McGiver the brace back into place, at least long enough to last the rest trip. When I told the rental guys about it as I turned it in, he shrugged.
Then a British couple showed us their truck. It was rusted so badly you could see through the bed to the rear suspension! OMG. All that salt from divers shorten their life span, i guess, through they would last if they just washed them after every rental...
Did you know it is not illegal to drive drunk in Bonaire? According to the pretty bartender at Jibe City, it’s OK as long as you don’t get into an accident. If you get in an accident, it’s a serious, serious crime (she said as she encouraged me to have another beer). This was confirmed by another bartender.
Truck keys were not electronic. So just clipping them in the BC pocket worked fine. You do end up off-roading a bit to park your vehicle at some sites, and some roads are dirt-only. A cheapo economy car would not be a good choice. If you can, see if you can get a truck with a tank rack in the back. Otherwise you’ll have to use weights and stuff to stop the tanks from banging around in back. Make sure the AC is working. BTW- nothing was stolen from our vehicle, though the aforementioned British couple did get their rust bucket broken into- through a smashed window - even though they had left it unlocked. Seems their door was sticky and had to be yanked open. So the miscreants decided to smash a window. Stupid thieves. Their shorts were stolen. Boo.
Not many gas stations, though there is one just off the roundabout heading toward the airport. Believe it or not, there is a Full Service side where the very tired, barely dressed attendant takes your money, walks it to the disinterested cashier and pumps the gas for you. I think he gets a cut. I don’t know cause the measurements were in liters and I can’t convert liters into gallons in my head. I have a vague feeling I was ‘had,’ but oh well - another contribution to the Bonaire economy.

Details
I had very cleverly hidden my favorite Reef sandals underneath the truck before the southern dives, thinking that it might be left behind if someone had decided to pilfer our stuff while I was busy getting lost during the Pier dive. Towels and T shirts, OK - but there is nothing like an old pair of well worn sandals that had travelled with me on many trips. I was quite fond of them.
Following the dive, I drove off without them, wearing dive shoes anxious to get back to the condo in time to get to dinner and Gios. Doh! So later that night, I went back to look for them, out on the lonely road very late at night (you never know). I searched the parking area at Salt Pier and Invisibles and Margate Bay cursing my fading short term memory. Far out on the southern road, it was dark. Really really dark.
Looking up, I realized another gift of Bonaire - the sky above was absolutely gorgeous, so many stars in the sky! The Milky Way was as bright as I’d remembered from seeing it from the Sierras decades ago. Wow. Not to be missed. One more ‘must’ do at Bonaire - get out on the road away from town and lights late night, and just look up. Like the world below the surface, the universe far above the surface is just as incredible.

Don’t bother with jeans or slacks unless you plan on going to a fancy dinner - shorts and t shirts are the islands wear-de-riguer. Bring swim trunks that can double as shorts - you can put them on aprés dive a little wet and they dry quick.

Lighten your load outbound - subtract a couple of t shirts and plan on picking up a couple for souvenirs, and to wear during the trip.

We found out that a “drugstore” across from the Sand Dollar does not sell drugs. They sell health and beauty supplies. For real OTC drugs, even for allergy meds and decongestants, we had to go the Pharmacy. It’s downtown, across from Gio’s Ice cream. Drugs come in European strengths. i.e. Strong - more milligrams per pill.

Don’t forget the charger for your camera batteries. Results can be tragic. So sorry, I have only a couple of pics.

*updated*
Van Den Tweel is a wonderful big box Euro style grocery store. However, it's handy to have a Dutch to English translator app. Otherwise you might end up with buying Tahini instead of Hummus as I did. It was good thank goodness. Most of the labels are in Dutch, not all are in English. You’ll have to buy a big plastic shopping bag - leave it in your truck for the next trip there or you'll have to buy another one.

Lac Bay is wonderful. It's one of the world's chillest beach scenes. Jibe City is built right out to the water with lounges in the sand and a cool deck with tables and chairs and cold cold drinks. Fun people watching windsurfers and families. It's like walking into a Corona commercial. The bay is the big saltwater bathtub; next time, I intend to try windsurfing - there can't be any better place to try it out.

Donkey Sanctuary is a good place. The donkeys are interesting, and the volunteers there are doing yeoman's work and saving these big lovable animals. One interesting thing is that they are like dogs - at one point, seven of them patiently lined up to pee in exactly the same spot. Bring carrots a couple of bags per person will do, and they'll be eating out of your hand.

Flamingoes are scattered throughout, just go drive out to any salt flats. We even saw them out near the traffic circle across from Bistro Paris.

It's an awesome island, with the right eclectic mix of Diving, Local flava and civilization. I understand why so many Dutch expats live there. I'll be back for sure.

Last edited:
Great report, thanks for sharing Nuub. I'll add a couple ideas, may help you. Create a packing list to prevent things like forgotten chargers. I use an Excel file and check off items as they are packed. The packing list has evolved over time. (I'd be happy to send to you) Also on cameras I order new batteries from the manufacturer to take. I've had older batteries read fully charged, only to have them die on the first dive. My luck that would be the dive the hammerhead, manta ray and whale shark show up. I've also heard that after market batteries don't always work as well. Did you ask around dive shop if anyone had a compatible charger? I've found dive shops and divers are a congenial group willing to help you out if they can.

What a wonderful and comprehensive trip report! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your findings. In Jan we went through Dive Friends and were very happy with them. When we return this Feb. we will use them again. After reading about the douchebaggery activities taking place at BDA, I have no inclination to use their services. I can understand charging a fee to use the pier, but for the guy to harass you as described above is crossing the line.

Nice report! Glad you had a great time!!

Funny thing about looking for a charger (Canon d20). Folks told us about FishEye, which I swear I saw on the first day there - they had just moved to a new building. Then I couldn't find it, though we tried. Went to the photo place colocated with Flow but they were closed. I was enjoying the diving so much that in a way I was glad not to be worrying about taking photos. Though I wish someone else did!
It was on my list but i left it on my dresser. And yes - I swear they know - a reef squid literally taunted me into taking a picture just as my camera died. And yes, it was one of those aftermarket batteries which lasted all of 30 shots.

thanks for the great trip report! I snipped so many great tidbits into my Bonaire Stuff word document (which is now at 14 pages). We bring it along on our trip on our mini-laptop and in paper form in a duo tang folder, to cart along with us during the day. At the end of our trip we generally leave behind for the next guest who rents the property. Sadly my trip is still 153 sleeps away :crying2:

Thanks for the very comprehensive report!

Awesome report. I like the idea of going to the south side at night. I will schedule a night dive south of the Salt Pier specifically based on your recommendation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom