weather next week in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lwalden

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know there is no way to control the weather, but I can control my expectations. I have a surprise trip planned for my husband's 40th next week. It's a very short trip with only 2 days of diving. The forecast calls for lots of rain (I'm okay with rain so long as we can dive) but some sites say winds at 20-30 mph. Realistically, what are the chances of diving if the winds are that high? Does anyone know of a reliable weather source? Thanks!

I sail and I have pretty good luck using WeatherBug... It shows for next Monday/Tuesday wind @ 10mph's (they use metric) and another thing, wind and oceans go hand and hand... Even the weather channel is showing less than 10mph's. Are you sure your not looking at kp/h and thinking mph's?

Cozumel, Mexico weather and forecast information on WeatherBug.com

The weather channel and hope it works... I don't always trust it though...
Daily Weather Forecast for Cozumel, Mexico - weather.com

Enjoy as we were their last week...

lee

duplicate post... sorry!
lee

When I was new to computers, I asked my bud where he went to check weather forecasts on his - and he put me onto a site. It was like three trips before I noticed that the site was giving historical averages, not forecasts. :silly:

These days, I prefer WeatherUndergound.com but they just changed the layout of the site yesterday, creating a lot of turmoil among Facebook fans. :eek: I hated the change so I have their Classic link bookmarked, therefore anything I offer is from that. Here is Cozumel's page that should update day by day: Cozumel, Mexico Forecast : Weather Underground

Weather forecasts are always subject to change of course, especially if you look more than a few days out. Clicking the Hourly link for Sunday Monday tho, it looks nice. Once inside an Hourly page, you can get to Tuesday's outlook - which does look quite windy at a few times of the day, but the other points between those are so different in direction and speed - I have to wonder how serious they are about that outlook? Here is the view for now; let's look again tomorrow...

bjdcsk.jpg

This far in advance, I'd probly put as much faith in Farmer's Almanac predictions as I would those of any real weather service. I do hope for the best for you, but wintertime travel and diving in North America is always a gamble. Have a good trip either way :pilot: but in case diving is canceled for your trip, also see Things to do in cozumel

Have you been before? Anything else we can help with...??

Attachments

• coz.JPG
    coz.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 92
Someone on the board turned me onto this site: Windfinder - Wind & weather forecast Cozumel / Country Club which I quite like. The biggest threat to whether or not the port is open is which direction the wind is coming from. Generally it's when it's from the north that diving is affected. According to the site, the wind will be shifting to the north around Thursday. Don't worry about rain...you can dive in rain and it generally doesn't last all that long anyways.

Thanks for the advice. I did double-check the site I used for the extended forecast and it definitely says MPH.

We arrive Tuesday afternoon and leave Friday afternoon so Wednesday and Thursday are our only diving days (too short but this is our first dive trip without our kids). I agree that the weather forecasts can change and aren't very reliable. Just can't help being a little paranoid about an el norte blowing in and ruining our diving. I've worked for months on this surprise for my husband and he's still clueless! He won't know anything until we're driving to the airport. Crossing my fingers and toes that the forecast is wrong and we'll have no problem getting out to dive.

This is our 4th trip to Cozumel though it's been 10 years and 3 kids since the last trip. We used to live in Costa Rica and were avid divers but haven't dove more than once a year since child 2 and 3 came along. Cozumel has always been our favorite location (though diving with whale sharks in CR comes close) so I am SO excited for this trip.

We've driven the whole way around the island, swam with dolphins, seen the ruins, explored the town. Anything else you'd suggest?

Nice surprise! :thumb: No tellin' what will happen by that far out. Good luck.
We've driven the whole way around the island, swam with dolphins, seen the ruins, explored the town. Anything else you'd suggest?
There are pages of ideas at the link I posted above.

I know there is no way to control the weather, but I can control my expectations. I have a surprise trip planned for my husband's 40th next week. It's a very short trip with only 2 days of diving. The forecast calls for lots of rain (I'm okay with rain so long as we can dive) but some sites say winds at 20-30 mph. Realistically, what are the chances of diving if the winds are that high? Does anyone know of a reliable weather source? Thanks!

You might also try Bouy Weather

It is a subscription service but they do offer a 15 day free trial. They have very good marine forecasts for all over and there is a weather buoy near Coz that gives up to date info on seas and winds.

Here is the Yucatan buoy NDBC - Station 42056

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom