weather in the yucatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magnolia3

Contributor
Reaction score
:blinking:

Last edited:
A rainy day or 2 in Paradise beats a nice day at home. Doesn't look like it will be much more than that for Cozumel, but might be more serious when it gets to the Gulf. Hope it doesn't do too much harm anywhere....

Uh yeh, and your point is? It's rain - today we had some thunderstorms! It will most likely be a wet weekend, but diving is very unlikely to be interrupted. It is not threatening - it's pretty normal to have a day or few of rain and even thunderstorms in the tropics during rainy season - last I checked, this happens in the US too more frequently than here! If you are traveling to the tropics during rainy season, you should be prepared to have some rain - just sayin!

:blinking:

Last edited:
Yucatan is different state with different geography & weather. We follow Proteccion Civil Quintana Roo, which monitors the Caribe Mexicana where Cozumel is located and which posted today that there are no tropical cyclones coming our way. Air traffic may be disrupted or not -- too many question marks at this point to worry. The airlines will inform if flights need to be rescheduled.

There has been a persistent rain band across Central America and all the way up the Yucatan since early May. I have heard it referred to as a monsoon; I don't know that it's technically correct, but I do know that it's unusual for May, at least, since I go to Cozumel every May and watch the weather there more at that time than others. That said, although it rained nearly every day I was there (May 11-23), it did not affect the diving or the fishing.

Back
Top Bottom