Weather and Port - 11/29/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azscubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been watching the web cams the last few days and the weather sure looks crummy ?

Saw the waves washing up and over the pier at SCC the other morning.

People in Jackets today.

What has the weather been like ? Has the port been closed ?

Just curious.

A strong norte came in Sunday evening. No diving yesterday or today. The water has calmed down a bit this evening, but it's still rough, pretty windy out and colder now then it was this time yesterday. The marine forecast for tomorrow is still NNW winds, but a couple km/h lighter, so hopefully those of us here can get out diving tomorrow! Nothing to do except get up in the morning, see what it's like out, and if it's borderline, get ready anyway and how you don't have a call from your dive op to call and tell you to go back to bed..

I've been down many times in Dec and other winter months. Some years I've gone 2-3 wks losing no dive days. Other times we can end up a norte that lasts for days. You just never know. It is what it is so make the best of it... at least it's not winter jackets, boots and shoveling snow! :D

That came thru Lubbock a few days ago and was well projected for Coz. We have another one coming thru this Thursday night, but maybe it won't make it that far. Tis the season... :laughsnow:

I heard that Utila got hit hard too.

I've been watching the web cams the last few days and the weather sure looks crummy ?

Saw the waves washing up and over the pier at SCC the other morning.

People in Jackets today.

What has the weather been like ? Has the port been closed ?

Just curious.
They need to wipe the lens at SCC, but from what I can tell from the somewhat blurry picture this morning it looks pretty calm.

Not calm this morning. Looks rougher than yesterday morning. Really thought that the port would open after the 10:30 report yesterday but didn't. This time of year you really can't second guess the weather, why we stay 2 weeks. Last week was as close to perfect as you could get.

Not calm this morning. Looks rougher than yesterday morning. Really thought that the port would open after the 10:30 report yesterday but didn't. This time of year you really can't second guess the weather, why we stay 2 weeks. Last week was as close to perfect as you could get.

Same thing happened to me last year in November. 10 days, the first half were pristine, almost perfect, then overnight it changed and the rest of the trip was a bust for diving. I got in a shore dive but lost 4 days of boat diving. I just went with the flow, went to town and enjoyed my stay.

Hope it changes for everyone and calms down.

just got call port is closed . keeping fingers crossed for the 10:30 report. word from dive shop is the port should be closed for 3 days (monday, tuesday and wednesday..) then calm thursday, then another strong wind system coming in Friday & Saturday... just can't find were it is coming in from ? Anyone got info on this 2nd system that is suppose to hit friday??

just got call port is closed . keeping fingers crossed for the 10:30 report. word from dive shop is the port should be closed for 3 days (monday, tuesday and wednesday..) then calm thursday, then another strong wind system coming in Friday & Saturday... just can't find were it is coming in from ? Anyone got info on this 2nd system that is suppose to hit friday??

Don't know if our storm has anything to do with yours but there is a huge front moving down the west coast of the USA and they are forecasting a 30 degree drop in temps and 4 to 8 inches of snow (or more depending on the elevation) here in the high country of Arizona. Temps dropping overnight Wednesday with rain and snow starting Thursday through the first of Monday, Tuesday of next week. Chances of very high winds and rain for 4-5 days.

This could be what is headed your way as the jet stream is dropping big time in a big dip over S. Calif, Az and N. Mexico. Sorry for the bad weather news.

No diving today... again... My dive op was organizing a group to do a couple cenote dives today. Since I've been to Akumal many times and done lots of cenote dives when staying there, I opted to not go. If I'd never been, or never stay on the mainland, I think a norte day here is a good opportunity to head over on the ferry and experience the cenotes.

Dec trips for us tend to be about 3 wks. This year we planned a couple days over 2. We'll see how the weather goes and how the diving... once I actually get underwater... might have to extend a week to make up some lost days. That would be rough, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right? :cool2:

Even though the ocean is still rough and it's pretty windy, the sun is coming out. A relaxing day at an oceanfront condo, maybe an afternoon jacuzzi and siesta, it could be worse.

Back
Top Bottom