Wearing a mask on forehead a distress signal, now that seems ridiculous!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree there are other more obvious signs of distress exhibited by said diver. Personally I always have mine hanging around my neck when not in use so I don't lose it. Seems using a tether or such is easily made redundant by simply wearing your mask around your neck. I don't see the point of adding something extra when the potential problem can be solved by a better(?) habit.

Not quite. I'm one of those who uses a tether as I've had my mask knocked off my face as I was exiting surf. The tether has saved my mask a couple of times.

I think it woud be interesting where that concept came from. Its dumber than dirt to me. you cant put it on your forhead cause it will fall off cant wear it backwards cause of the tank. cant put it under the chin cause you cant move you head or YOUR NECKLACE REG IS IN THE WAY. can we wear it to the side of our head or is that only for those who wear thier wetsuit at thier knees. oom pa oom pa oom pa

I know that most are taught to wear the mask under the chin when wanting to temporarily remove the mask. But sometimes I tend to place mine over my fore head. I don't understand how this should be regarded as some sort of distress signal. It seems ridiculous.

I could see waving your arms, or using a whistle, yelling help or anything but a mask over your head, or even the fist over the head???
If you can neatly put your mask over your fore head for a brief period, there should be no problem with this. I know there is a chance you will lose your mask, but if that is a concern just tether it, or leash it.

I am curious how many of you flip your mask over on your fore head from time to time. I sometimes like it because I can quickly put it back down on my face. Are there any other down sides to doing this besides losing the mask, or mistaking it for a distress signal?

Would you consider this to be a bad fashion statement.
What do you think when you see others doing this ? Is this more common in other parts of the world?

I will say I do not this when I am entering or exiting a shore dive, unless I have it leashed.

I park it there all the time. I have never lost a mask as a result nor have I needed to be rescued as a result of putting it up on my forehead. In fact, I think I will make this the year of my mask on my forehead and do it constantly. Because I can and because I like to.

That panic thing is just another bunch of drivel foisted by group think lemmings parroting what they hear without applying any thought or observation. If somebody was in a panic I seriously doubt they would park their mask jauntily on their forehead, they would rip it off and toss it or more likely, people who are drowning do not raise their hands and wave, they do not put masks on their heads, they do not count one finger, then two fingers and then three as in Mighty Mouse comics. They simply slide beneath the waves. All the action is below the water where they are trying to walk and climb out of the water. They do not have time nor inclination to put their masks anywhere other than where they already are.

The eyes tell you the story, not the position of the mask.

N

Not quite. I'm one of those who uses a tether as I've had my mask knocked off my face as I was exiting surf. The tether has saved my mask a couple of times.

Point taken. It's never happened to me but then perhaps your conditions are rougher then mine. If I dove in heavy surf and once had my mask knocked off I might consider a tether.

Agree with above. I'm not going to hop in and rescue someone who is happily bobbing there with their mask on their forehead. Still, it'll never get knocked off and float away if its around your neck.

What about all those who are using those different types of Go Pro masks. They won't be able to put that around there neck I presume?

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 10:05 PM ----------

Just to chime in... I agree with everyone mask on forehead is not a reason to send a rescue team. I have seen divers turn the mask sideways or backward so it is not a distress signal. But if a single wave can take it off your forehead it would take it off the back of your head too.

Personally I do not take it off early. If the water is flat I may put it up. If I have long surface swim I prefer to flit on my back unless there is surf. But then I will take it off and put around my arm.

Wow what a surprise I am not alone on this one.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 10:16 PM ----------

Perhaps a quick check of the dictionary will help:

Sign: an object, quality, or event whose presence or occurrence indicates the probable presence or occurrence of something else.

Signal: a gesture, action, or sound that is used to convey information or instructions, typically by prearrangement between the parties concerned.

Whether it is a distress signal (as I was taught) or it is a sign of distress, it doesn't really matter the point is that it is confusing when many are wearing the mask over their forehead and can easily assume that most are not in distress when they are doing so.

Whether it is a distress signal (as I was taught) or a sign of distress, it doesn't really matter.The main point is that it can become confusing when many are wearing their masks over their forehead and we can assume that they are not in distress.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 10:17 PM ----------

Perhaps a quick check of the dictionary will help:

Sign: an object, quality, or event whose presence or occurrence indicates the probable presence or occurrence of something else.

Signal: a gesture, action, or sound that is used to convey information or instructions, typically by prearrangement between the parties concerned.

Whether it is a distress signal (as I was taught) or it is a sign of distress, it doesn't really matter the point is that it is confusing when many are wearing the mask over their forehead and can easily assume that most are not in distress when they are doing so.

Whether it is a distress signal (as I was taught) or a sign of distress, it doesn't really matter.The main point is that it can become confusing when many are wearing their masks over their forehead and we can assume that they are not in distress.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 10:20 PM ----------

This is the absolute stupidist signal ever. It's the most natural thing to put your mask on your forehead to get it out of the way for a moment or two - or even longer. Whoever decided this, thought it was a good idea, was a total lob.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I heard of this.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 10:21 PM ----------

This is the absolute stupidist signal ever. It's the most natural thing to put your mask on your forehead to get it out of the way for a moment or two - or even longer. Whoever decided this, thought it was a good idea, was a total lob.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I heard of this.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 10:30 PM ----------

The sad/funny reality is that there are a great many people who think they heard or thought they were taught that putting your mask on is a SIGNAL that divers have been instructed to use in case of emergency: "If you find yourself in distress, you should place your mask on your forehead to alert others to the situation."

"Don't worry about me... save my buddy!"
Wreck-Ship-Scuba-Diving-in-Vanuatu-Top-Holiday-Destination.jpg

Which is precisely my point. This practice is so widely used that teaching students to view this as a distress signal only makes it easier for some to over look those trying actually display this as a distress signal. Very confusing, I believe its time to remove this as a distress signal , sign or what ever you want to call it. Perhaps there is a better alternative.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 10:33 PM ----------

The sad/funny reality is that there are a great many people who think they heard or thought they were taught that putting your mask on is a SIGNAL that divers have been instructed to use in case of emergency: "If you find yourself in distress, you should place your mask on your forehead to alert others to the situation."

"Don't worry about me... save my buddy!"
Wreck-Ship-Scuba-Diving-in-Vanuatu-Top-Holiday-Destination.jpg

Which is precisely my point. This practice is so widely used that teaching students to view this as a distress signal only makes it easier for some to over look those trying actually display this as a distress signal. Very confusing, I believe its time to remove this as a distress signal , sign or what ever you want to call it. Perhaps there is a better alternative.

What about all those who are using those different types of Go Pro masks.

They're probably used to getting their masks knocked off all the time anyway.

---------- Post added February 18th, 2015 at 06:27 AM ----------

I believe its time to remove this as a distress signal , sign or what ever you want to call it.

Maybe you're right, but no, not "whatever you want to call it". Signs and signals are two very different things. That point is getting continually lost in this thread.

If somebody can dig up some training materials in which they go through the usual illustrations of the common signals and then show "mask on face" = "signal for distress", please show the rest of us so we can all have a good laugh at the training agency.

Personally, I think new divers ought to be taught not to put MOF, simply because it's a good way to lose your mask. (I've seen in happen in dead calm water.) Experienced divers will do whatever the hell they want anyway.

They're probably used to getting their masks knocked off all the time anyway.

---------- Post added February 18th, 2015 at 06:27 AM ----------

Maybe you're right, but no, not "whatever you want to call it". Signs and signals are two very different things. That point is getting continually lost in this thread.

If somebody can dig up some training materials in which they go through the usual illustrations of the common signals and then show "mask on face" = "signal for distress", please show the rest of us so we can all have a good laugh at the training agency.

Personally, I think new divers ought to be taught not to put MOF, simply because it's a good way to lose your mask. (I've seen in happen in dead calm water.) Experienced divers will do whatever the hell they want anyway.

ain't that the truth...

Both PADI and SSI training materials (Stress & Rescue) mention mask on forehead as a possible sign or indicator of a stressed diver on the surface, to be taken in context with other indicators such as wide eyes, non responsiveness, flailing arms, etc. Mask on forehead is not mentioned anywhere as a signal or way of intentionally communicating distress.

While diving in a number of different locations, particularly from a live pickup boat, I've never seen any boat crew react to divers wearing there masks on their foreheads while waiting to be picked up. Sometimes it's just a comfortable way to wear the mask on the surface while floating in warm water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always thought the hatred Instructors seem to have for the mask on the forehead is silly. I don't equate a mask on a forehead to stress or panic, it is just convenient. If a diver is packed, or stressed, you will see it in ALL of their non-verbals. And you should be watching the non-verbals collectively. for me, around the neck isn't comfortable, around the back of the head is a total pain in the ass. And, when I take it off my head all together I almost always accidentally drop it in short order. I think 95% of what instructors teach in OPW is great stuff. But, this one needs to just go away! I wear my mask where I wanna now...if I am smiling and happy, don't save me. LOL.

BlueOrbDiving
"Be the sea"

https://usedscubaequipment.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/buying-the-right-used-scuba-diving-mask-for-you/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom