Wearing a mask on forehead a distress signal, now that seems ridiculous!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen divers turn the mask sideways or backward so it is not a distress signal.

Perhaps a quick check of the dictionary will help:

Sign: an object, quality, or event whose presence or occurrence indicates the probable presence or occurrence of something else.

Signal: a gesture, action, or sound that is used to convey information or instructions, typically by prearrangement between the parties concerned.

No agency has ever taught that MOF is a "signal."

In six years of crewing in the Northeast - where we consider choppy to be "flat seas" - I can tell you that on every charter there's always someone who refuses to follow this advice. There's also usually someone who falls off the ladder and back into the water. It's often the same person.

Part of the problem is how OW is taught, at least in our local quarry. You see the class surfacing and then instructor debriefs at the surface and folks have regs out.

I keep my reg in until the boat gets back to the dock.

Ha. Mine is always in until walking down the boat and often in until I am in my seat. At my age I can use the extra O2. :)

It seems silly to me, especially given that many of the old photos of famous divers include MOF. That said, I found that I prefer to slide it down around my neck if it's not on my face. Also, if I'm in the water even at the surface my mask stays on. I put the mask around my neck as soon as I am securely on the boat deck. Never lost a mask that way and it's really not any more difficult once you're in the habit.

Also you avoid boyscouts telling you not to put a mask on your forehead.

Personally I've never understood this as a distress signal. Of course there is the possibility of losing your mask if placed high on your forehead. I can't remember ever having my mask off my face... I leave it on until I exit. I don't like having it around my neck. Wearing hoods in cooler water makes this less comfortable. I always keep my mask strap under the hood so that if it breaks, the hood will most likely keep it from dropping to depth.

This is the absolute stupidist signal ever. It's the most natural thing to put your mask on your forehead to get it out of the way for a moment or two - or even longer. Whoever decided this, thought it was a good idea, was a total lob.

This is the absolute stupidist signal ever. It's the most natural thing to put your mask on your forehead to get it out of the way for a moment or two - or even longer. Whoever decided this, thought it was a good idea, was a total lob.

And what of those folks that simply don't understand the difference between the word "signal" and the word "sign"?

:crafty:

In class I always teach to keep your mask on until back on the boat. The reasons being falling off the ladder back into the water, waves hitting you in the face unexpectedly, and losing your mask to the deep. So in class I have students keep their mask on to reinforce positive habits. I include that divers who are anxious or panicked may put their MOF. I've seen it countless times and it gives me pause as well it should. Being aware and intervening early can short circuit a bad situation. Something simple like adding air to the divers bc can make a big difference in losing a diver/customer to a bad experience.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 09:49 AM ----------

I can't understand why some would say this is stupid, silly, or ridiculous. It's real and happens. You may not be aware that it happens or lucky to not have it happen to you or your buddy. And that's fine, and you can dive any way you want. But diving is a sport that many can enjoy with different levels of experience. I realize that not everyone who puts MOF is in peril. But it is a clue that shouldn't be dismissed. And I would rather my buddies, new or old, not do it out of habit. It is a natural act, but that's where training comes in.
It's natural for me to eat three plates of spaghetti too. But maybe not the best idea.

I can't understand why some would say this is stupid, silly, or ridiculous. It's real and happens. You may not be aware that it happens or lucky to not have it happen to you or your buddy. And that's fine, and you can dive any way you want.

The sad/funny reality is that there are a great many people who think they heard or thought they were taught that putting your mask on is a SIGNAL that divers have been instructed to use in case of emergency: "If you find yourself in distress, you should place your mask on your forehead to alert others to the situation."

"Don't worry about me... save my buddy!"
Wreck-Ship-Scuba-Diving-in-Vanuatu-Top-Holiday-Destination.jpg

I hadn't heard about MOF being a distressed diver until I read about it on Scubaboard. It was considered a rookie move if done in the surf or any bad water, but never to signal distress. As was said before, if it was seen in the context of rejecting gear a rescue may be needed, but as an act unto itself, it might just be handy at the time.

Bob
---------------
Sometimes MOF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom