Wearing a mask on forehead a distress signal, now that seems ridiculous!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a DSO, I am responsible for more than a hundred divers - people who come to me already "certified", but who I have to make sure are truly competent divers, or its my responsibility to either help them become competent or wash them out. I'm saying this because the mask on forehead question is one I always ask during my checkout dive process. I tell them that if they dive for my institution they can not park their mask on their forehead - ever.

Muscle memory.

Muscle memory...really?

YOUR Institution...sounds like a superior complex.

You focus so much attention on where a diver places a mask yet you post a pic on your website and use it as your avatar of yourself (I presume it is you) touching a sea turtle. Captive or wild, you are sending a message it it is alright to manhandle sea life such as protected species like the sea turtle. As an instructor and DSO I would have hoped you might have taken an environmentally sound approach of look but do not touch.

Lol - are you for real? I am touching that turtle because I am applying an antibacterial topical solution to her carapace. But I touch her all the time regardless - I scratch her shell because she loves it, I maneuver her into a special 2,000 lb lifting sling for weighing and vet exams, and much more. I've worked with Myrtle and all the other turtles for over 14 years. But sure, go ahead and make your uninformed comments...

---------- Post added February 20th, 2015 at 11:00 AM ----------

I meant to add the link to one of our blogs with us touching all sorts of turtles. Just so you know, the New England Aquarium is the the forefront of marine conservation - it's built into our mission statement.

You might not want to look at other entries in the blog either, as you'll see me tickling eels out of hiding spots and capturing them, and capturing 300lb sand tiger sharks for exams, and all sorts of other stuff that professionals in my industry are trained to do... Yep - you struck a nerve with your flippant comment. Ignorance and a keyboard is a bad mix. We work extremely hard to both actively promote conservation while providing the best possible environment for our collection. And so you know, all the turtles are rescue rehab turtles that were too sick and injured to be released. This year alone New England Aquarium took in and treated over 1,500 stranded, injured, and cold stunned sea turtles. And we touched all of them.

Giant Ocean Tank Divers Blog: Spring Turtle Exams

Last edited:
I know that most are taught to wear the mask under the chin when wanting to temporarily remove the mask. But sometimes I tend to place mine over my fore head. I don't understand how this should be regarded as some sort of distress signal. It seems ridiculous.

I could see waving your arms, or using a whistle, yelling help or anything but a mask over your head, or even the fist over the head???
If you can neatly put your mask over your fore head for a brief period, there should be no problem with this. I know there is a chance you will lose your mask, but if that is a concern just tether it, or leash it.

I am curious how many of you flip your mask over on your fore head from time to time. I sometimes like it because I can quickly put it back down on my face. Are there any other down sides to doing this besides losing the mask, or mistaking it for a distress signal?

Would you consider this to be a bad fashion statement.
What do you think when you see others doing this ? Is this more common in other parts of the world?

I will say I do not this when I am entering or exiting a shore dive, unless I have it leashed.

I'm working on 45years of diving this year with just over 2040 scuba dives, that does not included hundreds of free dives as a youth pre-certified. I have always and will until my last dive wear my mask on my forehead when not in use. In the thousands of hours I have in the water using a mask, I have NEVER that is NEVER lost a mask that was placed on my forehead. I've lost a mask while holding in my hand along with other gear, I've had them kicked off my face and lost in low vis or darkness but never off my forehead.

I suspect those that have lost a mask off their forehead can't drive and use a cellphone at the same time either. Or can't find their ass with both hands in their back pockets.

I especially enjoy telling DMs that "fine" divers for mask on forehead "infractions" that the my fine is coming out of their tip. :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure those that have lost a mask off their forehead can't drive and use a cellphone at the same time either. Or can't find their ass with both hands in their back pockets.

LMAO, Sad but True.

What's happen to common sense. I usually take my mask off and stick a arm thought the strap. but on my head is not something I worry about. If someone has an issue with it, they have issues with the War hammer maneuver I just performed at depth.

As an aside, I suppose, but to folks who say,"I've done this a hundred times and it's never been a problem," well, it's never a problem until it's a problem. Then all bets are off.

I am not one to slog these things out on anonymous forums, though I'm always happy to show people around NEAq and discuss things in person.

By way of introduction, here's a talk I did on diving the Andrea Doria:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ifIJYUEeb18

Lol - are you for real? I am touching that turtle because I am applying an antibacterial topical solution to her carapace. But I touch her all the time regardless - I scratch her shell because she loves it, I maneuver her into a special 2,000 lb lifting sling for weighing and vet exams, and much more. I've worked with Myrtle and all the other turtles for over 14 years. But sure, go ahead and make your uninformed comments...

---------- Post added February 20th, 2015 at 11:00 AM ----------

I meant to add the link to one of our blogs with us touching all sorts of turtles. Just so you know, the New England Aquarium is the the forefront of marine conservation - it's built into our mission statement.

You might not want to look at other entries in the blog either, as you'll see me tickling eels out of hiding spots and capturing them, and capturing 300lb sand tiger sharks for exams, and all sorts of other stuff that professionals in my industry are trained to do... Yep - you struck a nerve with your flippant comment. Ignorance and a keyboard is a bad mix. We work extremely hard to both actively promote conservation while providing the best possible environment for our collection. And so you know, all the turtles are rescue rehab turtles that were too sick and injured to be released. This year alone New England Aquarium took in and treated over 1,500 stranded, injured, and cold stunned sea turtles. And we touched all of them.

Giant Ocean Tank Divers Blog: Spring Turtle Exams

****Moderators this is getting off topic perhaps you can create its own thread*****

John,

Your reply made my point exactly about promoting an unhealthy image of touching marine wildlife.

I understand the good that can come from private organization like the NEAQ, primarily the educational value they have for children who this experience could be their introduction to marine and terrestrial conservation. I also understand that contact with "the collection" as you put it is necessary for health and medical exams and treatments. But to make the act of so much physical contact such a main media display in your blogs or Internet forums when you boast how many animals you actively touch.

While I might be using a keyboard on ScubaBoard I am definitely not ignorant. As a wildlife biologist and from my work/research with the U.S.Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture's Animal Damage Agency, University of Wyoming Cooperative Research Department, Colorado State University Cooperative Research Department, Colorado State University Vet Hospital, Texas Tech University's Wildlife Biology Department, and the Colorado Division of Wildlife in the field of wildlife physiology ANY handle of wildlife species creates elevated levels of stress which are harmful from the cellular level up through the systems. In some cases capture myopathy can occur resulting system failure and/or death. This happens over days when the "handler" has left and is long gone and posting their close encounter on Facebook. While kids enjoy the "shark and ray touch tanks" I will never endorse such an exhibit as part of an education program. I think it tells them if it is ok to touch these species at the aquarium then it is ok to seek them out and try to make physical contact in the wild.

I happen to like and teach Project Aware programs as they encourage the hands off approach.

Saved 1500 turtles this year...that is fantastic. That is 620% increase over your last record. I noticed that in 2010-2011 the Aquarium rehab 126 and in 2012-2013 set a record of 242. Of the 1500 what is the species breakdown?

Btw...I enjoyed your lecture on the Andrea D.

Michael

****Moderators this is getting off topic perhaps you can create its own thread*****

John,

Your reply made my point exactly about promoting an unhealthy image of touching marine wildlife.

I understand the good that can come from private organization like the NEAQ, primarily the educational value they have for children who this experience could be their introduction to marine and terrestrial conservation. I also understand that contact with "the collection" as you put it is necessary for health and medical exams and treatments. But to make the act of so much physical contact such a main media display in your blogs or Internet forums when you boast how many animals you actively touch.

While I might be using a keyboard on ScubaBoard I am definitely not ignorant. As a wildlife biologist and from my work/research with the U.S.Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture's Animal Damage Agency, University of Wyoming Cooperative Research Department, Colorado State University Cooperative Research Department, Colorado State University Vet Hospital, Texas Tech University's Wildlife Biology Department, and the Colorado Division of Wildlife in the field of wildlife physiology ANY handle of wildlife species creates elevated levels of stress which are harmful from the cellular level up through the systems. In some cases capture myopathy can occur resulting system failure and/or death. This happens over days when the "handler" has left and is long gone and posting their close encounter on Facebook. While kids enjoy the "shark and ray touch tanks" I will never endorse such an exhibit as part of an education program. I think it tells them if it is ok to touch these species at the aquarium then it is ok to seek them out and try to make physical contact in the wild.

I happen to like and teach Project Aware programs as they encourage the hands off approach.

Saved 1500 turtles this year...that is fantastic. That is 620% increase over your last record. I noticed that in 2010-2011 the Aquarium rehab 126 and in 2012-2013 set a record of 242. Of the 1500 what is the species breakdown?

Btw...I enjoyed your lecture on the Andrea D.

Michael

Definitely off the main MOF topic, but you make a very valid point. While both of you share a common practice in your field (studying , protecting and preserving sea life). The misinterpretation of showing ( pictures or video) the handling of wild sea creatures can be viewed by the common divers as a
great way to interact with sea life. Visually I think it is sending the wrong message.

Although it was not intended to be learned on this thread it is a good point I hope Johnny H sees this and perhaps looks at it from another angle, IMO.

First let me apologize for my part in taking this threat so far off topic. This will me my last post so as to not pull it further away.

Michael - though what you say regarding animal interactions is completely true, your approach was not exactly one geared towards a balanced and professional response.

Muscle memory...really?

YOUR Institution...sounds like a superior complex.

You focus so much attention on where a diver places a mask yet you post a pic on your website and use it as your avatar of yourself (I presume it is you) touching a sea turtle. Captive or wild, you are sending a message it it is alright to manhandle sea life such as protected species like the sea turtle. As an instructor and DSO I would have hoped you might have taken an environmentally sound approach of look but do not touch.

To me it seemed more like an unwarranted attack and not a contribution to the conversation. Perhaps a better approach would have been to private message me and asked about my avatar picture.

But regardless, lord knows I've not always had the best tact with conversations either.

So as not to offend anyone, I've changed my avatar. Though I will say I'm sad to see Myrtle go. She's a good friend (luckily she's fine in real life!)

I don't work with our strandings folks too often, but I do know that the majority of the species are kemp's ridleys, with a sprinkling of green and leatherbacks. It was a record season for turtle strandings, and that's not a good kind of record to have. Our rescue facility is actually down in Quincy, MA in our Animal Care Center (which is a huge and amazing facility that I wish was open to the public)

New England Aquarium News and Updates: Aquarium's New Animal Care Center in Quincy Hosts Open House for Donors

and whenever I'm down there I visit the R/R side of the building. It's pretty amazing.

Anyway, you can read about the rescue / rehab folks on their blog at:

Marine Animal Rescue Team Blog

And here's a bit about this past season:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/13/s...-of-sea-turtles-stranded-on-beaches.html?_r=0

If anyone wants to discuss this off-topic topic further, feel free to PM me. And I am serious that I am always happy to show folks around our facility if in Boston, schedule permitting of course!

Here's the full sized new avatar - I'm feeding, not touching ;-)

64702_10201331389264257_1599399936_n.jpg

Attachments

• 64702_10201331389264257_1599399936_n.jpg
    64702_10201331389264257_1599399936_n.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 182
Johnny,

I would like like to apologize to you for I don't think I used as much tact as it now appears was warranted.

I respect your opinion and understand your logic on wearing a mask on the forehead. But it is not mine and this is the only time I veer away from DIR. Occasional I do push my mask up onto my forehead, but, I prefer to keep it on my face or around my neck on long surface swims.

I think I have made my PERSONAL feelings known I do not agree with programs that flaunt human-wildlife physical contact. Like many SBers we have seen the appalling ways marine mammals are kept, displayed and exploited in "non-caring" countries like Mexico. Every year I see that FB photo of some idiot riding a whale shark. Or you see the alligator pulled by its tail out of some small watering pit, then a group of idiots play WWE with the poor animal ... all to banjo music. So when I see good organizations with meaningful programs portray messages that based on MY PERSONAL VALUES encourage unethical behavior like unnecessary touch I get a little bit passionate.

Affluent countries like the United States, Australia, and most of the EU as a whole has the financial means to educate the world on ocean conservation. By leading thru example, practices such as sustainable seafood harvesting (which if you have not read on their website the aquarium that Johnny is a DSO at has a major research promoting sustainable food practices) and pollution control can be the world-wide norm not the exception. This is where a good aquarium program makes a difference. They can plant the seed of conservation into people who otherwise might just see the oceans as a big body of water and not the unique and special ecosystems that they are. When I was cleaning a tank in the Denver Aquarium I could see the amazement in the eyes of children...I always wonder how many of them now want to become divers themselves. And how many divers go on to become staunch supporters of protecting our oceans and waters thru wise conservational practices.

Johnny I can tell you are passionate about Murtle. Avatars should reflect our personalities. I use a sea turtle in my avatar too for they are great ambassadors for everything that is right with the oceans and barometers with what isn't. I suggest that You put back up your photo of Murtle and you, then in you "Status" portion of your SB profile make mention that Murtle is an unreleasable rescue turtle but how this year alone the aquarium's animal care unit has rescue and leased 1500 other turtles. Bada Boom you have a great personalized educational Avatar...it sure the heck beats mine talking about flip flops.

Again sir please except my apologies. I let my passions get the better of me and my canon shoot across you bow was 100% unwarranted...or at least 95% in my world :d

Happy Bubbles,
~Oldbear~
(But my mother calls me Michael)

I have been asked countless times, "How often do I swim with sharks?"

My my answer is always the same, "I have never swam with sharks, but I have been blessed and my life is richer when sharks decide to swim with me."
:sharkattack:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom