Wear my wetsuit under my "drysuit"??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to a sporting good store and purchased some quality hunting underwear for 1/4 of the cost of dry suit underwear. I had to take them back because I was too hot in 58 degree water.

Very nice store that took back your stinky underwear. Wow. Please let us know who they are so that we can smell the packages before buying...sheeesh. :amazed:

I bought a set of the Under Armor "Warm" stuff (long sleeve & legged of course) and used socks.

Was 48 degrees and I could tell the water around me was cold but I never felt chilled.

Added benefit, with my LP Steel 120 I was overweighted with 10lbs! The Drysuit isn't nearly as floaty as the wetsuit, guess it's the thermals that require so much weight.

give it a try, but i'd be surprised if you were happy with it.

then try a thin under-armour-type layer - like those thin running clothes - and a layer of fleece like in the hunting section at walmart. and walmart also makes great marino wool socks for about $6.

I bought a set of the Under Armor "Warm" stuff (long sleeve & legged of course) and used socks.

Was 48 degrees and I could tell the water around me was cold but I never felt chilled.

Added benefit, with my LP Steel 120 I was overweighted with 10lbs! The Drysuit isn't nearly as floaty as the wetsuit, guess it's the thermals that require so much weight.

i use the same Under Armor, works great, and you are right, much less weight, for really cold dives throw a micro fleece jacket & pants over it(on clearance at Old Navy), I dive Tahoe (35 degrees at its worst) year round with this setup

Wearing a wetsuit under a drysuit defeats the purpose of wearing a "DRY" suit. You'll get drenched with sweat.

Really, you can buy nice fleece underwear online at very cheap prices.

Another issue is that the wetsuit will compress, which will reduce the insulating value. I would find some fleece or under armour and layer up.

Try the CD4 without any thermals. Just get in with street cloths on (short or pants and a shirt) and see where you are comfort-wise and then make adjustments based on that. This is what I did. Went to a quarry and dove with just the CD4, shorts and T-shirt on. As soon as that zipper was closed I started to heat up. Dove in 65 degree water and was sweating my rear off...then hit the first thermal and went to about 55 degrees and felt a little relief and second thermal was about 43 degrees and that was a little cool (but felt great since I was so hot.)

Have about 8 dives on the CD4 now and getting better with judging what I need for thermal protection. was on a 100' wreck dive with a bottom temp of 38 degrees. I went down with jeans, and thick t-shirt with Seal-Socks. I knew the water was chilly but I was never cold or even close to it. When I came up my shirt was wet with sweat so I may try an Under Armor just to get the wicking action.

Moral of the story is the CD4 is a warm suit and you may not need the thermals you think you will. Dive it a few times and see how it is. My setup has the dry gloves and they make a world of difference. One thing I don't like getting too cold is my hands and there are no good thermals for that....just dry gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom