Wear Crocs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They tell you not to, but don't really enforce it. What they don't want is everyone loading up their trucks with tons of tanks and running the shop low on them. We always kept a spare tank just in case we get a bad one (bad o-ring, etc). They aren't at the drive-thru most of the time and don't care the rest of the time. Never said a word to us about going over the tank limit.

They also don't want people herping and derping 16 tanks and having them fly through someone else's windshield behind you too.

Like most things on Bonaire, the real rule underneath the rule is "don't be a dick".

I like the "take one spare tank" advice. It hadn't occurred to me that if there's a bad o-ring, we can't replace it at the dive site because we don't bring anything of value, like o-ring picks or any other tools. I can't imagine they would notice us taking ONE spare.

We took O-ring picks and a bag of O-rings, but it is still easier just to grab a different tank! O-ring picks are dirt cheap as are O-rings if you order them in bulk, and of course there is no incentive to steal them like there is for a sandwich or a raggedy old tshirt.

I wear my dive boots all day, the SEAC hard soled boots are comfy for driving and walking around.

Tanks??? What are they for?? I never take more than my O2 bottle & bail out/diluent....no need for a pile of bottles in the truck. :)

Plus 2 1/2 hour dives are easy diving closed circuit.

As far as Crocs go...no one ever steals mine!!! They always make it through NC boat diving, and they made it through a week in Bonaire :)

View attachment 195570

Apparently, you got them from somebody else as they look rather big for your feet...:wink:

---------- Post added October 25th, 2014 at 06:46 PM ----------

I like the "take one spare tank" advice. It hadn't occurred to me that if there's a bad o-ring, we can't replace it at the dive site because we don't bring anything of value, like o-ring picks or any other tools. I can't imagine they would notice us taking ONE spare.

Around here, you can get a spare o-ring kit that looks like a mini scuba tank, contains 10 O-rings, a pick that is part of the screw top and it clips to a D-ring.

Crocs...can be used a diving boots substitutes. We found that out during our last trip to Bonaire in 2012 when my buddy forgot to bring his dive boots on one outing and rather than wait on the shore, tried his crocs with his fins and it turned out to be a perfect fit.

Around here, you can get a spare o-ring kit that looks like a mini scuba tank, contains 10 O-rings, a pick that is part of the screw top and it clips to a D-ring.

Ordered one just the other day!

Btw, the lady who writes the Bonaire Shore diving made Easy got robbed again! Saw the thieves as they were making their exit from the water. She should now buy a powerball ticket.

I plan to keep returning to the island, and wearing my crocs. They aren't flaming purple but nobody wants your crocs.

Pleased to report: Although in the week we were there, some in my group of seven left all kinds of things in our two trucks that might have attracted attention, including coolers of drinks and a point-and-shoot camera :shakehead:, nothing was pilfered. We picked up some hearsay that someone had a t-shirt and/or flip-flops taken at Tolo/Ol' Blue (or maybe it was at Tolo/Ol' Blue that someone told us that). Bonaire still feels safe enough to keep me coming back.

Pleased to report: Although in the week we were there, some in my group of seven left all kinds of things in our two trucks that might have attracted attention, including coolers of drinks and a point-and-shoot camera :shakehead:, nothing was pilfered. We picked up some hearsay that someone had a t-shirt and/or flip-flops taken at Tolo/Ol' Blue (or maybe it was at Tolo/Ol' Blue that someone told us that). Bonaire still feels safe enough to keep me coming back.

During the past 10 days on Bonaire there was a murder, a carjacking, armed robberies at a supermarket and a convenience store, burglaries from at least two residences, and thefts reported from several vehicles (including Susan Porter's as mentioned previously.) I imagine that the victims in each incident probably "felt safe" right up to the point where they weren't.

One of the reason thieves steal items from unattended dive trucks is because groups like yours leave things like coolers and cameras behind. This kind of behavior contributes to the problem.

At the conclusion of our upcoming 3 week trip we'll have spent 25 weeks on the island spread over 17+ years. While we still enjoy the island we certainly don't "feel safe" there anymore. Crime per capita is significantly lower (by a factor of 3 to 4 times) in our home city of 300,000+ people than it is on tiny Bonaire. We have no qualms or problems leaving our US home or vehicles unattended for several weeks while on vacation. We had been contemplating purchasing vacation property on Bonaire with possibility of enjoying early retirement there in a few years. But not anymore. We'd be crazy to leave an unattended vacation home full of furnishings, appliances, electronics, dive gear and other valuables.

During the past 10 days on Bonaire there was a murder, a carjacking, armed robberies at a supermarket and a convenience store, burglaries from at least two residences, and thefts reported from several vehicles (including Susan Porter's as mentioned previously.) I imagine that the victims in each incident probably "felt safe" right up to the point where they weren't.

One of the reason thieves steal items from unattended dive trucks is because groups like yours leave things like coolers and cameras behind. This kind of behavior contributes to the problem.

At the conclusion of our upcoming 3 week trip we'll have spent 25 weeks on the island spread over 17+ years. While we still enjoy the island we certainly don't "feel safe" there anymore. Crime per capita is significantly lower (by a factor of 3 to 4 times) in our home city of 300,000+ people than it is on tiny Bonaire. We have no qualms or problems leaving our US home or vehicles unattended for several weeks while on vacation. We had been contemplating purchasing vacation property on Bonaire with possibility of enjoying early retirement there in a few years. But not anymore. We'd be crazy to leave an unattended vacation home full of furnishings, appliances, electronics, dive gear and other valuables.

I'm still not convinced that divers are likely to be victims of violent crime or anything more than pilferage from trucks. Of course, if you were to own a home there I would advise having bars on the windows and doors--it seems like a prudent thing to do most anywhere in the less-developed world.

What was stolen from Susan Porter's vehicle? She of all people should know better than to leave something in the vehicle.

Which supermarket and convenience store were robbed? (Yes, I could read the police blotter link, but since you mentioned it ....) When I was in Zhung Kong last week I thought about the robbery that occurred there and wondered how the heck anyone can make a getaway--there's simply no place to run unless one runs off into the cactus scrub where there's nowhere to hide or drives away down the one little road. Armed robbery seems like something only a fool would attempt, and it seems a few fools have attempted it.

The crime on Bonaire doesn't approach the level I live with here in Atlanta, where I fear for my life on a regular basis--not just from crime but from driving in the traffic. At least I won't get killed on Bonaire in a car accident. Maybe a donkey accident. My wife and I would love to retire on Bonaire, and I hope the fear of crime helps keep property prices in check until we're ready to buy :D

When do you have time to sleep???

If I wanted to sleep... I'd go to Aruba.

:d

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom