We want your dive profiles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have about 150 dives downloaded to my uatek program. The ones from Coz are the ones resulting in DCS. I do not know how to attach them to your email but I think I can get some help with it. Do you want all dives or just the dive trip in Coz?

Yeah, I have a database of over 900 dives, but no DCS . . .

I have about 150 dives downloaded to my uatek program. The ones from Coz are the ones resulting in DCS. I do not know how to attach them to your email but I think I can get some help with it. Do you want all dives or just the dive trip in Coz?

Farside,
You should be able to export the dive profiles from your Uwatec software to another file format like .xls, then you can attach that file to an email. You may have to do that one dive at a time; if so, please don't do that for 150 dives, but I'd love to have the dive series from Cozumel (all the dives on the trip leading up to your DCS incident).
Thanks much,
DDM

For Lynne and Bill,
Thanks to both of you for your offer. Right now we'll stick with dives that resulted in DCS and see where it goes.
Thanks,
DDM

I'll try to get my asst to come over to my home and we will get them to you this week.

i assume you know that will skew your responses as people who haven't had DCS decide its not worth their time to submit data?
PDE is prospective, meaning that for all PDE dives the profiles are slated for collection even before it is known if the dive resulted in a bends case or not. Because recreational DCS has been so rare in PDE it has taken a very long time to collect less than 100 cases even though over 100,000 dives have been monitored. Although prospective studies allow calculation of absolute risk (incidence), they are not easy to do when the disease in question is infrequent. Moreover, the absolute risk calculation only apples to the specific population providing the samples. In the case of PDE, most of the samples are from either live-aboard trips or from attendees at diving medical conferences doing 2 no-stop dives per day in warm water. It has been possible to break out the cold water, Scapa Flow divers and Cozumel dive instructors to calculate their incidences separately, but the subset numbers are even smaller, further decreasing the statistical power.

The point of Duke asking for profiles of dives associated with DCS is to do case / control comparisons for many types of different potential risk factors. Case control studies are extremely useful for rare conditions like DCS because the investigator can retrospectively solicit cases and then see if a factor is over-represented in the cases compared to controls. Although case / control comparisons can only provide relative risk in the form of an odds ratio as opposed to the absolute risk for a population as a whole, there is considerable statistical benefit from comparing many cases to many controls and relative risk (note all PFO studies for example) can be very useful. The web makes it easy for divers who are willing to help in this effort by sharing bends associated dive profiles. Many thanks to all who have already contributed!

Thanks to Farsidefan1 for sending in his profiles!

I suggest you edit the thread title, and clarify your request in the 1st post:
You are looking for dive profiles that produced decompression sickness. Also, you're looking for a few possibly-related data points.

E.g. "Request: upload dive profiles when you got bent"

Edit first post to say "Ideally, we will get a few dive profiles from divers who have had decompression illness, put the profiles through the modeling software, come up with a measure of the divers' decompression stress, and compare that to specific treatment data (lab values, neurological examinations, number of chamber treatments, treatment outcome, etc). We'll then use these cases (de-identified, of course) in our monthly case conferences that we have with the other facilities that have hyperbaric fellowships."

Maybe including that non-judgemental bit compairing DCS to tendinitis or shin splints will be helpful, letting potential participants know you're hard after the data for clinical training and will look at their submissions as furthering medical knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom