Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can not imagine how Tina's family must be tormented by not only her death but the horrific manner in which she died. There just has to be something else in store for him.....

US A-G backing appeal in Aussie case
July 14, 2009 - 8:09AM

Alabama's attorney-general has sent a letter formally supporting an appeal to increase the one-year sentence given to Alabama man Gabe Watson over the death of his wife while on a diving honeymoon in Queensland.

Troy King, attorney-general for the US southern state of Alabama, sent the letter to Queensland authorities on Monday arguing that Watson should spend more than a year in prison for the death of his newlywed wife, Tina Watson, on the Great Barrier Reef in 2003.

Queensland Attorney-General Cameron Dick last month lodged an appeal against the sentence on the grounds the term was "manifestly inadequate".

The state of Alabama is supporting that appeal, but it can't officially join in the case.

Tina Watson died during a scuba diving trip on the Great Barrier Reef in October 2003 - just 11 days after the pair married.

In June, her 32-year-old husband pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the Queensland Supreme Court, and was sentenced to serve one year in jail after he pleaded not guilty to her murder and the crown accepted his plea of guilty to manslaughter.

He was sentenced to a maximum of four-and-a-half years.

Appeal hearing set in Australia for Hoover man sentenced in wife's drowning death

Posted by Marienne Thomas-Ogle -- Birmingham News July 07, 2009 2:46 PM

An Australian appeals hearing on the sentence of a Hoover man set to serve 12 months for the drowning death of his wife has been scheduled for July 17.

A spokesman for Alabama Attorney General Troy King said his office was contacted by Australian officials last night to alert King that the hearing on Gabe Watson's sentence for the death of Christina "Tina" Thomas Watson was scheduled.

Queensland Attorney General Cameron Dick said on June 18 he found Watson's sentence "manifestly inadequate" and that he would file an appeal.

According to Chris Bence, Troy King's chief-of-staff, a brief outlining the Queensland attorney general's appeal and request for a stronger sentence for Watson will be filed in the Queensland Court of Appeals Wednesday. (July 8 here, actually tonight there, but date is same).

A response from Watson's attorneys is due July 15, Bence said.

Watson's American attorney Bob Austin, had no comment today.

Alabama AG: Australia doesn't want reputation of the new Aruba

Posted by Marienne Thomas-Ogle -- Birmingham News July 13, 2009 4:40 PM

Alabama Attorney General Troy King has sent a legal brief to Australian prosecutors citing several reasons why a Hoover man sentenced to 12 months in prison in the death of wife should receive more jail time.

"If we don't file anything and sit home and do nothing, the Australians will never hear Alabama's perspective on this case," King said. "I do not believe the Australians are unjust people and I know the country doesn't want the reputation of the new Aruba."

hearing on the sentence for Gabe Watson, 32, is scheduled for Friday in the Queensland Court of Appeals.

In the 5-page brief, King cites examples of Austrailan manslaugher cases where greater sentences were rendered.

Watson received a 4 1/2 year sentence, reduced to 12 months, in the October 2003 drowning death of Christina "Tina" Thomas Watson of Helena while the two were on a honeymoon scuba diving expedition off the coast of Queensland.

In a June 5 court appearance, Watson pleaded not guilty to murder and guilty to manslaughter in Tina Watson's death. A certified rescue diver, he admitted he did not fulfill his obligation to his wife as her diving buddy.

King's brief says "the value of 26-year-old Tina Watson's life is worth more than 12 months" and points at Watson's sentence as having a poor deterrence impact. "Levying a 12-month suspended sentence on Watson sends a terrible message to foreigners: 'If you desire to kill your spouse, Queensland should be your homicide destination' ", the brief states.

Watson's Birmingham attorney, Bob Austin, declined to comment.

I have started a Watson Case blog. For now, it is just a resource to find the reference sources in one convenient location. The blog does not attempt to discuss the issues. I have included a Cast of Characters, links to all the major documents such as Watson's statements, video, and I have indexed major news stories. If you have a news story or other resource you would like me to index or provide a link to, please leave a comment on the blog. You do not have to register to leave a comment.

Here is the link: Tina Watson Dies While Scuba Diving with Her Husband

I'm new to this board but I was just reading about another incident from last week on the Great Barrier Reef and I'm curious if the precedence set by the Watson case is going to affect the dive buddy of this fellow too.

Go to CDNN and do a search for "Fatal diving accident prompts calls for strict government regulation of dive industry" (this board will not allow me to post a URL until I've made 5 posts...go figure).

It sounds like to me that QLD is going to have certify or re-certify (if people were certified elsewhere) everyone that comes to dive in that state if they ever want people to dive there again. Especially now that the precedence has been set that if you inadequately perform your duties as "dive buddy", you could be held legally responsible and spend time in jail. I mean, how many people could potentially try to save a panicking diver because they feel "legally" responsible to do so and then end up perishing themselves?

Just something to think about...

I can't believe I will be out of radio range (as co-incidence would have it, I will be on the SpoilSport on the Osprey Reef!) while the appeal is being heard...I hope they reserve their decision, otherwise if they announce it straight away it will be FOUR DAYS before I can comment!!!

Under-Exposed - I think I can speak for many of us here, you will be SORELY missed and we will be anxiously awaiting your return. You have always provided great insight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom