Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does Australia care? They're going to feed him for 11 months and then kick him out of the country for good. Why should they pay to fix what will apparently be the US's problem? Even if they appeal the sentence, what is the most severe thing they can do to him at this point? Do they throw out the plea, or give him the max sentence for what he pled to?

Also, I was dismayed when the judge referred to Tina's "deregulator" in the sentencing comments. It would seem that maybe he knows nothing of diving and is therefore in under-qualified to judge the likelihood of Watson's panic defense.

What does Australia care? Enough to try to do justice for all involved rather than allow a trial by media and pressure from people whose decisions are based primarily on emotion to pressure the Judicial System into compromising it's purpose. A case based on Circumstantial evidence in Australia is probably viewed differently than in the USA.

Judges make decisions based on law with access to experts where needed/appropriate on technical matters. If it were otherwise no decisions could be made ... how could a Judge decide if someone was really dead/cause of death unless they did the post mortum themselves?

From today's news:

Queensland Attorney-General Cameron Dick says the state will appeal the sentence of wife-killer Gabe Watson.

Alabama bubble-wrap salesman David Gabriel Watson, 32, was sentenced to four-and-a-half years jail in a Queensland court on June 5 after he pleaded not guilty to his wife's murder and the crown accepted his plea of guilty to manslaughter.

Tina Watson died during a scuba diving trip on the Great Barrier Reef in October 2003 - just 11 days after the pair married.

Watson will be required to serve only 12 months of the sentence.

Mr Dick told state parliament on Thursday he would appeal the sentence, saying it was inadequate.

Another ariticle here: Honeymoon death: A-G to appeal sentence - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Honeymoon death: A-G to appeal sentence

Queensland Attorney-General Cameron Dick has announced an appeal against the sentence of an US man who pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of his wife during their honeymoon.
David Gabriel 'Gabe' Watson, 32, was jailed for 12 months for manslaughter on June 5, after pleading guilty in the Supreme Court in Brisbane.
The court found he allowed his wife, Tina Watson, 26, to drown during a diving trip to Yongala wreck off Townsville in north Queensland in 2003.
Mr Dick has told State Parliament that Queensland will lodge the appeal today.
"I have noted the significant community interest in this case, and for this reason, I am outlining this decision to the House this morning," he said.
"Mr Watson was this month convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to four-and-a-half-years' imprisonment, to be suspended after 12 months.
"I have formed the view that this sentence is manifestly inadequate and the state will therefore lodge an appeal against the sentence in the Queensland Court of Appeal."

Another ariticle here: Honeymoon death: A-G to appeal sentence - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Honeymoon death: A-G to appeal sentence

Queensland Attorney-General Cameron Dick has announced an appeal against the sentence of an US man who pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of his wife during their honeymoon.
David Gabriel 'Gabe' Watson, 32, was jailed for 12 months for manslaughter on June 5, after pleading guilty in the Supreme Court in Brisbane.
The court found he allowed his wife, Tina Watson, 26, to drown during a diving trip to Yongala wreck off Townsville in north Queensland in 2003.
Mr Dick has told State Parliament that Queensland will lodge the appeal today.
"I have noted the significant community interest in this case, and for this reason, I am outlining this decision to the House this morning," he said.
"Mr Watson was this month convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to four-and-a-half-years' imprisonment, to be suspended after 12 months.
"I have formed the view that this sentence is manifestly inadequate and the state will therefore lodge an appeal against the sentence in the Queensland Court of Appeal."

I find this statement alarming. I hope the significant community interest is why he is outlining the decision to the House and not why the decision was made! I hate to think that Community (Media) interest determines how the Judicial System is conducted. Trial by Media is not a good thing....

More media:

Qld A-G says Watson judge too lenient - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Qld A-G says Watson judge too lenient

By Jason Rawlins

Queensland Attorney-General Cameron Dick says the judge who sentenced an American man for killing his wife on their north Queensland honeymoon was too lenient.
David Gabriel 'Gabe' Watson, 32, pleaded guilty to manslaughter earlier this month.
He admitted to letting his 26-year-old wife Tina Watson drown while they were on a scuba diving trip at Yongala wrecks off Townsville in 2003.
Supreme Court Justice Peter Lyons sentenced Watson to four-and-a-half-years in jail, to be suspended after 12 months, sparking outcry from Tina Watson's family.
Mr Dick filed a notice of appeal against the sentence on Friday but it was not publicly available until this morning.
It says Watson's sentence fails to reflect the gravity of his offence, fails to take into account the aspect of general deterrence, and that Justice Lyons gave too much weight to mitigating factors.

I find this statement alarming. I hope the significant community interest is why he is outlining the decision to the House and not why the decision was made! I hate to think that Community (Media) interest determines how the Judicial System is conducted. Trial by Media is not a good thing....

No Kidding

the entire thing has been insane

mob rule, wild gueses

Dive solo (with your partner out of eyeshot)

What I find even more frightening is the A-G's statement:

"It says Watson's sentence fails to reflect the gravity of his offence, fails to take into account the aspect of general deterrence.."

Just how many scuba divers are "letting" other scuba divers drown that need to be prosecuted?

As I have brought-up this concern before, some others said - you're worrying about nothing, they aren't going to go after scuba divers for not trying to save other scuba divers and that the only reason this deal was struck was because it was all they could get him on. Really? Just what does this statement mean to you?

Just how many scuba divers are "letting" other scuba divers drown that need to be prosecuted?

Fine line to walk there....

The way that I interperet your statement, would likely push everybody into full defence mode and have most "would be saviours" look the other way out of fear of persecution if they fail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom