Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The kind of panic that would result from having your air turned off unexpectedly, or the panic that arises elsewise? Surely Dr. Carl could spot the difference in an instant, third hand.

"The kind of panic that would result from having your air turned off"? Probably, especially for an inexperienced diver.

If there was actual evidence that Tina's air had been turned off, as contrasted with speculation pulled from thin air (excuse the pun), Watson would be in deep (excuse the pun) trouble.

Just as it is unlikely Dr. Edmonds could identify the cause of the panic or say it arose from something else, I do not believe anyone can authoritatively say, based on actual evidence, that it arose from Tina's air having been turned off.

Once again, I invite anyone to provide evidence that Tina's air had been turned off. BTW: faulty syllogisms are not evidence, e.g. having one's air turned off leads to death; Tina was dead; therefore her air had been turned off.

campaigns.

I am afraid that if Tina had been an overweight, middle aged woman on a dive holiday and not a lovely young newly wed on her honeymoon the media would not have been interested. Without the media flogging this IMHO there would have been a better chance that justice would have been possible for all involved.

I've said the same thing about many murders where the media is given countless amount of "cute smiling pictures" of the victim.

Same thing about Natallie Holloway. If the'd been fat, ugly, black, etc, her murder wouldn't have gotten near the attention. (her mother also had the funds/ability/time to turn her dissappearence into a crusade. (not that I blame her)).

Ayisha said:

Let's think about what those "usual signs" of panic might be - When found, Tina's mask was on, her regulator was in her mouth, her air was on, her equipment was all in place, and she was seen shortly before falling backwards with her arms out.

Sorry, what usual signs of panic do we see in Tina's case??

Could it be that you are unfairly limiting the scope for "usual" panic?

As has been brought up numerous times with this case and with other threads I’ve read in Accidents and Incidents and in books I’ve read, panic does not only manifest itself in one set of mask-ripped-off-face, regulator-spat-out “usual ways”.

People panic in a host of ways and rescue divers are taught theory on how to respond to the various kinds of panic and then drilled on certain skill sets in order to deal with a panicked diver to try and make a rescue safely.

PADI classifies these types of panic as “active” and “passive”.

From my PADI Rescue Diver Training book (©PADI, Inc. 1995-2005):
Active Panic: Assisting a diver with active panic underwater poses a serious situation for both you and the victim. The victim may go from stress to total panic in seconds, sometimes as you’re approaching to help. As with panic on the surface, the victim may claw, grab and struggle with tremendous strength, possibly yanking out a rescuer's second stage or knocking off the mask. The panicked diver may fight to reach the surface, instinctively holding his breath and creating a serious risk of lung overexpansion injury.

Often a panicked diver will bolt for the surface…

Passive Panic: As discussed earlier, panic may not manifest itself with wild struggling. In some instances, the victim freezes into a trance-like state unaware of the surroundings or anything happening.

Approach the diver from the front and signal, “Okay?” If you get no response, go behind the diver and, holding the regulator in place, take the diver to the surface. It’s important to help the diver from behind because passive panic may change to active panic without warning…

In addition to this, my instructor gave us fatality examples of panic diver scenarios where the panicked diver was found dead with a perfectly functioning regulator in place.

He went on to discuss the common practice of holding a regulator in an unresponsive diver's mouth as you make a controlled ascent because what the diver might be experiencing is a passive attack which he or she may come out of only to spit the regulator out. By holding it in, you better insure that the victim will continue breathing if he or she comes out of the passive trance while you are making your way to the surface.

He told us that people do at times panic and bolt for the surface but only spit out their regulators and hurl their masks when they reach the surface as a kind of reflex action. Yes, some divers do spit them out underwater and remove masks as well. But this is not by any means the only manifestation of panic underwater or on the surface.

The narrowing of focus that often happens for a panicked diver may well lead to inaction and death. To be fair, the passive form is not as common as the active form of panic, but the lessor brother warrants at least some degree of “usual” for PADI and other organizations to give it sufficient consideration in their training manuals.

It is possible that Tina had some sort of passive panic attack, though Gabe’s account had her at least starting with an active form as she tried to grab his mask and regulator, thus (so he says) his “controlled” bolt for the surface to look for help. Could it be that she felt helpless after he left her there alone? No one knows for sure.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Again I ask, what are the "usual signs" of panic that Tina exhibited? Not he said - he said things, but anything that can be independently seen? There is no she-said to this story except whatever the coroner found. Mask off, reg out, etc., the "usual signs" can be independently seen to not be true, even by us in the photo of her laying on the bottom lifeless.

Again I ask, what are the "usual signs" of panic that Tina exhibited? Not he said - he said things, but anything that can be independently seen? There is no she-said to this story except whatever the coroner found. Mask off, reg out, etc., the "usual signs" can be independently seen to not be true, even by us in the photo of her laying on the bottom lifeless.

Are the usual signs what the text books tell us? Mask on the forehead, reg spit out? (I believe many people panic without losing equipment.) She supposedly knocked Gabe's mask off.
What are the usual signs of passive panic?
Did panic cause her to breathe around her regulator, to forget to inflate her BCD? To freeze up while she sank?
It seems impossible to prove one way or the other, which helps the Defendant.

It seems impossible to prove one way or the other...

Exactly, thank you.

I just do not think the DA has a case he can win. He might be guilty, but I don't see proof beyond a reasonable doubt - unless they've held something back, which they cannot do to the defense anyway.

Ayisha said:

Seriously?

I take it you acknowledge that a mask ripped off and a spat out regulator are consistent with a diver who had an active panic attack. By extension then, a perfectly functioning regulator in the mouth and a mask squarely affixed to the face are at least consistent with a passive panic attack.

There are accounts by the way that Tina expressed in oral and written forms that she had anxiety while diving, which do indeed shed some light on this case and give more of a voice to Tina than merely what happened on that terrible day.

“Independently verified not to be true”? You mean like an eyewitness actually seeing him murder his wife or forensic evidence that ties him to the actual crime? You know, your run-of-the-mill prosecution's burden of proof kind of stuff.

Again, since Gabe’s account includes a description of her panicking, Dr. Edmonds’ testimony qualifies as evidence in the “independently verified” category for this description of events, thus making the prosecution’s account of him turning off her air in the fashion suggested in the past “not to be true”. Of course Dr. Edmonds has yet to have this opinion vetted under cross examination. We’ll see if it holds up. You seem to want to dismiss what “he” (I am assuming Gabe here) says, but his words are crucial to establishing at least some degree of truth in this case, whatever that ends up being.

Yes, her body was found in the state it was. You are right there. But I do not recall Gabe ever saying that she tore her mask off and spat her regulator out. That they were still in place “independently verifies” that much of the story to be accurate. Since he didn’t say otherwise, how is his account of events impeached by the stasis of her body when found? He said she panicked and tried to grab his regulator and mask, which frightened him forcing him to retreat, when she then sank with a horrified look on her face. At least that is the account I recall reading.

And this is beside the point anyway. If there were in fact records of Tina panicking in an active, patterned, i.e “usual way” prior to the dive when she died, this does not automatically suggest that she would panic in the same way in a situation where the diving circumstances are different, which the dive on the Yongala appeared to have provided in more than one instance.

People react passively and aggressively in a host of situations. And if other people looking at these instances bear any biases toward “usual” panic—mask ripped off, regulator spat out, etc.—then Tina exhibiting signs of inaction in the past when she was stressed underwater may not have been interpreted as panic in the first place and simply forgotten. If there are recorded signs of her panicking in a passive way, would that be enough evidence for you that she couldn’t have active panicked in this scenario? Clearly this wouldn’t be the case, as well it shouldn’t be.

And that is the rub of the entire context of this case. That Tina’s body was found with her equipment intact, replete with mask on and regulator in her mouth, is not conclusive of anything, really, which as Divedoggie says is a benefit to the defendant, or at least should be. Who knows in this day and age? Do you agree that this ought to be the case if this stalemate stands at trial?

It is also important to point out that the original scenario put forward, that of Gabe Watson holding her in a bear hug, pinning her arms, and then turning off her air, could certainly have induced panic in a diver as well. She would have been looking directly at the man—her husband—who was killing her in this fashion.

Why wouldn’t she have spat out her regulator in a panic as she watched her husband kill her? Was he turning off her air, pinning her arms and somehow also octopus-like keeping her regulator and mask in place as well?

It could be argued that the regulator still being in her mouth shows that a violent action such as this never happened. The knife cuts both ways, which also ought to work in the defendant’s favour.

I would think that turning off her air from behind while she didn’t notice it would be a far more likely scenario (I have seen this exact thing take place as a bloody practical diving joke between local DMS in the Philippines. I kid you not!) . If she were sucking on a regulator that suddenly stopped producing air, she may well have continued to suck harder in a desperate attempt to breath not understanding what was wrong, passive panicked because the one solution her narrowed vision supplied failed, and then died, only to have Gabe quickly turn the air back on after the fact while flipping her body around to let it settle below. That seems a far better reality in the scope of things in my opinion. Better than what has been suggested before. Of course there is absolutely no evidence of this scenario taking place either as far as I know. It also gives this glass-half-full defendant far more benefit in the intelligence department than I feel he deserves to be perfectly frank.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I take it you acknowledge that a mask ripped off and a spat out regulator are consistent with a diver who had an active panic attack. By extension then, a perfectly functioning regulator in the mouth and a mask squarely affixed to the face are at least consistent with a passive panic attack.

Does this mean that on every single dive I exhibit signs of passive panic attacks simply by having a "perfectly functioning regulator in the mouth and a mask squarely affixed to the face" ???????

Does this mean that on every single dive I exhibit signs of passive panic attacks simply by having a "perfectly functioning regulator in the mouth and a mask squarely affixed to the face" ???????
No. It just means that in passive panic equipment rejection is not part of what happens and is therefore not a sign. You have to look for other signs. Those other signs include a vacant stare and a failure to respond to communication attempts.

Back
Top Bottom