Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Refusing the checkout dive was a big mistake by both.

Yes, ego got in the way of clear thinking. It was the first mistake in a chain of mistakes. The checkout dive may have proven that Tina was not adequately trained nor prepared for the upcoming dive. They likely would have done weight checks on that checkout dive as well.
It would have solved Gabe's computer issue as well. They should have aborted the dive when Gabe had the computer problem.

Yes, ego got in the way of clear thinking. It was the first mistake in a chain of mistakes.
Two other all too common aspects to accident reports.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but take another look at paragraphs 45 and 46 of the coroner's report. That there was a possibility of unconsciousness following a Laryngospasm or of panic and that "none of the four explanations can ever be capable of detection in an autopsy examination" leaves me wondering how anyone could be sure of guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt." While Dr. Griffith rejected unconsciousness following a Laryngospasm or panic as actual causes of death, the report does not say why he rejected those.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but take another look at paragraphs 45 and 46 of the coroner's report. That there was a possibility of unconsciousness following a Laryngospasm or of panic and that "none of the four explanations can ever be capable of detection in an autopsy examination" leaves me wondering how anyone could be sure of guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt." While Dr. Griffith rejected unconsciousness following a Laryngospasm or panic as actual causes of death, the report does not say why he rejected those.

The entire attempt at a new trial in Alabama is deceased equine flagellation.:wink: From a legal standpoint, there are certainly numerous scenarios which create reasonable doubt!

From a logical, experienced diver standpoint, there seems to be a bad chain of events that led up to a tragic accident, causing an unexplained death.

1.It is very debatable as to whether Tina showed enough competence to be OW certified.

2.It is debatable as to whether Gabe was competent or not. How recently had he been diving? How many hours in actual open water? Was he prepared to be a buddy with someone who needed to lean on him in a big way, to just get through the dive?

3.Both Watsons appear to have been extremely overweighted.

4.Equipment problems and lack of preparation prevented them from diving with the group and with a DM or Instructor.

5.Having refused the checkout dive, a drift dive over a wreck lying in 30 meters of water as the 1st dive of the trip, would seem to be pushing an AOW diver's limits, let alone a brand new diver like Tina..who had panicked throughout her OW class in 20 feet of water.

6.When was the last time Gabe practiced mask removal and replacement or regulator recovery. By the time he got everything together, she probably was too far away for him to respond. If he was close to panic or actually panicking, he likely wouldn't even have clear recall of the events. Add the sadness and guilt that he was feeling to his innate need for self preservation and the result is a confused young man. He doesn't appear to be a rocket scientist to start with, either.

His story, his actions, his dive profile, his actions at the cemetary...these things are all explainable. Maybe Gabe was checking to see if her air was turned on when witness saw him bear-hug her, because she was incapable of inflating her BCD. Maybe he was just trying to hold her up.
Any of these things create reasonable doubt that she was murdered?

The question is what exactly killed Tina?

Overexertion, overbreathing the reg, passive panic, scared to death? Now that I have read much of the ridiculous amount of material out there..I have to retract my initial post, I don't think that her cause of death was premeditated murder by valve manipulation. Gross negligence, yes. Murder no.

I guess that's what I get for joining this thread after seeing the Dateline presentation.
Was there any concensus in the discussion of Tina's weighting in that previous thread?
Maybe she couldn't convert kg to lbs. But, even 13 lbs seems to be more than she would need. If she was finning hard to maintain neutral bouyancy, she could have become exhausted and overbreathed her regulator, sucking water around the mouthpiece...

BTW..the Coronor's Report was a good read. Thx!

Not sure that "conversion" is/was an issue. Don't Americans use pounds? In Australia divers use pounds when it comes to dive weights. I suppose it is possible that Tina didn't recognize that the numbers on the weights were in pounds..which might explain the massive amount of weight but you would think she would have worked it out just trying to get to the entry point. Hmm might lend some credibility to Gabe's reference to her being heavy. Wonder what his BCD lift capacity was..

Refusing the checkout dive was a big mistake by both.
Unless, of course, it was part of a plan. Then it would have been a mistake for only one of them. :wink:

17kg??? 37.5lb??? That's, errrr.... ummmm.... (almost?) 19 two-pound weights. Really? She was 174cm/63kg. (5'8 1/2" / 139 lb) How did she get that much on a weight belt? Have you ever seen anyone diving warm water wear that much weight (who is on a single tank, not wearing a dry suit or two 7mm wetsuits)? Much less a fairly slim woman? The most I have seen is a rather large man who insisted he needed 12 weights (24 lbs) because he had a full 3mm suit. The victim here had 19 pieces on?

17kg??? 37.5lb??? That's, errrr.... ummmm.... (almost?) 19 two-pound weights. Really? She was 174cm/63kg. (5'8 1/2" / 139 lb) How did she get that much on a weight belt? Have you ever seen anyone diving warm water wear that much weight (who is on a single tank, not wearing a dry suit or two 7mm wetsuits)? Much less a fairly slim woman? The most I have seen is a rather large man who insisted he needed 12 weights (24 lbs) because he had a full 3mm suit. The victim here had 19 pieces on?
Why are you thinking of only 2# weights? Over here, weights typically come in 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 pound units whether solid or soft bagged and I have seen larger pieces.

So where did the statement about her lead come from and what did it say exactly? Was she using a belt or integrated BC?

As a side note, please remember that weights are dumpable and not expensive - preferably on the surface, but if one cannot get to the surface to dump in an emergency - then there is the possible option of dumping to do a rapid ascent. I like that I can ditch about 1/3 of mine at a time from my integrated BC.

Why are you thinking of only 2# weights? Over here, weights typically come in 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 pound units whether solid or soft bagged ...

Yes, but over here (Asia), 99.9% of rental weights are 2lbs chunks. I admit I have no experience diving in Australia but I bet that's pretty much the same there. I guess the question of how 19 pieces fit on a weight belt was a bit flippant, you are correct that she easily could have pieces in an intergrated BCD, trip pockets, strapped to her tank etc.

The important point though is that I can not see how she possibly could have needed that much weight. I can assure you that she would not have been allowed in the water from our boat with that much, judging from her size and assumed (!) / probable (?) equipment.

BTW, I was quoting an earlier post on the previous page about the weight she carried.
We don't have the answers to all of your questions.
2) Tina was apparently wearing 17 kg or 37.4 lbs of lead.

Back
Top Bottom