Waterproof wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the market for a 7mm wetsuit and am seriously considering the Waterproof W2. Anyone have an experience with/opinions about this suit (or the similar W1)?

They're rather more spendy than other suits, but they come in small-tall sizes, which is a huge plus because most manufacturer's sizes are too short for me.

Thanks!
Potato Cod

I bought a 5 mil W1 for the Solomons on the recommendation of the LDS director who dives everywhere all the time and is always given free stuff to try. She said it was the most comfortable wetsuit she's ever worn and uses it as her primary. I never needed a 5 mil there and dive dry here so I can't tell you from my own experience but my sister also had one and used it the whole trip and has now bought a 7 mil.

I tried three sizes before I got it to fit because I have an unusually long torso and short legs and the shop didn't check the size charts to see which one had a longer torso.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I bought a 5mil W1 and cannot say enough good things about it. I bought the W1 as it is a front zip and glad I did. These wetsuits fit like a glove and keep you warm. I don't think I could get out of the backzip by myself. I'm wearing the 5 mil with a hooded vest and 5 mil boots in 56-58 degree water. I get a little cold on the second dive or long deco obligations at that temp. It's a really great wetsuit with some cool features. I bought this for my trip to Cozumel to keep me warm over 8 days in caves. I'll have more to say Feb 1st when I get back.

I have an older back zip 7mm waterproof suit and love it! I have been able to dive in temps ranging from 48F (@88ft) all the way to 82F (@120ft) without any discomfort and have always been warm. When this suit wears out, which I am not sure will ever happen, I will only buy another waterproof. They are too comfortable, well-fitting, and warm for me not to.

The only caveat to my recommendation is that relieving yourself in one is much less desirable than in other suit, because of the way the suit greatly restrict flow through. It results in a much warmer suit, but also causes restriction of your own "flow through" if you know what I mean.

These are one of the best suits I've ever tried. Many more off the rack sizes than other companies. Materials and workmanship are great. The only problem I've come across is the seals at the arms and legs. Don't try to push and pull too much or that will be the place the suit fails. We had some in rental and this was the only down side. Much of that had to do with the way people tend to treat rental equipment. They are also $$$$$.

I found that the 7mm W1 fits small. I can normally go with a 2XL 7mm from various other brands, but the 2XL W1 was painfully tight.

Purchased the W2 7MM recently and have sentiments similar to those expressed in other posts regarding the W1. Found it to be warm in 55ºF-59ºF water over 3 dives, fit is much better than other suits I have tried, material used on the inner lining and the wrist and ankle zippers make donning/doffing somewhat easier, workmanship seems superior. Wrist and ankles seal very well. Back zipper was easy to manipulate. Neck zipper adds a measure of comfort when out of the water.

I will likely get the 5MM when needed. Would love to find them on sale somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom