Waterproof camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
I just look at Pentax Optio WPi, waterproof camera. Pentax says, the carmera can be to a depth of 1.5 metres for a maximum time span of 30 minutes. With a housing it will be able to be a worry free from the camera flooding... Have anyone used this carmea with a housing?

Thanks in advance,

hoosier:
I just look at Pentax Optio WPi, waterproof camera. Pentax says, the carmera can be to a depth of 1.5 metres for a maximum time span of 30 minutes. With a housing it will be able to be a worry free from the camera flooding... Have anyone used this carmea with a housing?

Thanks in advance,
1.5 meters? Be okay in the shower anyway...

This is their all weather camera and they work really well for the beach, rain and snow.

It's not the camera I would take snorkelling and definitely not diving and I am pretty sure there is no housing for it.

I have used the Optio 4si underwater and while it lacks those vital manual controls, if I had to have a camera without them this would be in my top three. It's small and the photos are great. I'm still flipping up about getting one of these as a carry anywhere land camera and adding a housing just for fun!

hoosier:

Thanks in advance,

Do they have a housing available? And how good is the camera?

Sounds like a pretty cool mix though. Then you can use above water without a worry, and use at depth without a worry. Sounds good to me. Wouldn't even have to be careful about your o-ring.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
Do they have a housing available? And how good is the camera?

Sounds like a pretty cool mix though. Then you can use above water without a worry, and use at depth without a worry. Sounds good to me. Wouldn't even have to be careful about your o-ring.

- ChillyWaters

I am searching for the housing. I think it is a fantasic combination if there is a housing option. The carmera might be covered by Bestbuy or Circuit city store warranty for the flooding if we buy it from them....

As for the function, I agree it doesn't have any manual function though as alcian mentioned. It is more than enough for the normal divers like me. Even, I don't use that many functions on my digital carmera....:wink:

hoosier:
I am searching for the housing. I think it is a fantasic combination if there is a housing option. The carmera might be covered by Bestbuy or Circuit city store warranty for the flooding if we buy it from them....

As for the function, I agree it doesn't have any manual function though as alcian mentioned. It is more than enough for the normal divers like me. Even, I don't use that many functions on my digital carmera....:wink:
The best price I can find for the camera is ove $200. I wonder if anyone would make a case for a camera that is already waterproof enough for water skiing, and if so - how much would it cost. And then, how good would this camera deal with the challenges of reduced light underwater..?

DandyDon:
The best price I can find for the camera is ove $200. I wonder if anyone would make a case for a camera that is already waterproof enough for water skiing, and if so - how much would it cost. And then, how good would this camera deal with the challenges of reduced light underwater..?

As you see, the housing price will be about the same price of the camera, but I think there will be still market for this combination for a general rec. divers.

Good point on the light matter. But, I am not sure how many rec divers really need to get the underwater light. I don't think most rec diver is ready enough to keep the neutral buyoancy for the nice picture even without expecting any frog and back kicks...:wink:

hoosier:
As you see, the housing price will be about the same price of the camera, but I think there will be still market for this combination for a general rec. divers.
Perhaps. I am no expert on these matters, and have never tried to put a custom housing with a camera designed for land operations.

Good point on the light matter. But, I am not sure how many rec divers really need to get the underwater light. I don't think most rec diver is ready enough to keep the neutral buyoancy for the nice picture even without expecting any frog and back kicks...:wink:
Even at 20-30 feet deep, you work with much less natural light, and any of the cameras desinged as dive cameras will compensate for this somewhat - more than a land cam, I'd think.

All I know is Sea-Life, but for a fumbling amateur like me, it's ok. One can have a complete DC310 3 mp for $350 or the new DC500 with "shark mode" for $500. I suspect that either would give you more for your money than the combination you're considering.

DandyDon:
Perhaps. I am no expert on these matters, and have never tried to put a custom housing with a camera designed for land operations.

Even at 20-30 feet deep, you work with much less natural light, and any of the cameras desinged as dive cameras will compensate for this somewhat - more than a land cam, I'd think.

All I know is Sea-Life, but for a fumbling amateur like me, it's ok. One can have a complete DC310 3 mp for $350 or the new DC500 with "shark mode" for $500. I suspect that either would give you more for your money than the combination you're considering.

As I recall, there is a custom made housing company that is located in Asia. I need more research on this. They used to manufacture the OEM housing for the major brand.

I have used Olympus 4040z with PT-010 housing without a light for the scientific project. I am not sure how much different exposure reception between two models though. It served very well for our project within 60ft.....

hoosier:

Yeah, but don't forget that you are working under completely different conditions than on top. I bet that you'll start wanting to use some of those manual features!

- ChillyWaters

Back
Top Bottom