Do I need to use the Vacuum Pump on my Camera Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
R
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm totally new to underwater photography. I have bought an Olympus TG-4 camera and Waterproof housing (obviously both used). I did not realise there is a vacuum pump system on the housing. Do I need to use this to be able to use the camera for scuba? The seal appears intact and working fine. I did not get the 'pump' with the housing but didn't realise it could come with one.

I'm totally new to underwater photography. I have bought an Olympus TG-4 camera and Waterproof housing (obviously both used). I did not realise there is a vacuum pump system on the housing. Do I need to use this to be able to use the camera for scuba? The seal appears intact and working fine. I did not get the 'pump' with the housing but didn't realise it could come with one.

If it's like other vacuum systems I've seen, the pump you need should be very inexpensive. In which case, you CAN go without, but why would you?

I think the one my Nauticam housing uses is a common wine bottle vacuum pump (which are cheap on Amazon).

my 2 cents:
Nauticam with Sony a6000. Checked at home many times, vacuum system worked great, pumped the air out, green light. I'm in Roatan now (5/25-6/1). Unpacked my gear, set it up, turned the sensor and right away flashing red (moisture indication), without even closing the housing. Few Google minutes and I found a solution = blow hot hair dryer air a distance away towards the sensor and it works, pumped the air, green light happy now.
NOW, 1st dive, jumped in, minute after red light with beeping all over (now I'm F... I thought). Well finished the dive fine, with bunch of pictures. Brought the camera to hotel room, opened the housing and the hissing was there, meaning vacuum and seal was present all the time.
I dont bother to use it now. I pump the air, check for vacuum by opening just after, close it and pump the air again. Gotta go, 17 more dives!

P.S.
I figured, either my sensor is bad or battery low, I guess I'll play with this at home.

That has happened to me before. I thought my moisture detection was going off. It was not. It was just telling me it needed a new battery.

I would not bother for a TG-4; the cameras themselves are fully waterproof to 50' and I have never had any issue with them the few times I've had a leak in the housing at depth and a little water has gotten inside. (Leaks were my own fault; I know the cameras have waterproofing and rarely inspect seals/o-rings/all the things you would normally do if a flood would be catastrophic - just chunk it in the dive bag and go).

I would not bother for a TG-4; the cameras themselves are fully waterproof to 50' and I have never had any issue with them the few times I've had a leak in the housing at depth and a little water has gotten inside. (Leaks were my own fault; I know the cameras have waterproofing and rarely inspect seals/o-rings/all the things you would normally do if a flood would be catastrophic - just chunk it in the dive bag and go).
A couple of weeks ago I was diving the wall on the North shore (St Croix, USVI) and I noticed a little water in the housing (TG-6) but shrugged it off. Went over the wall and was about ~170 FSW down and the camera kept telling me I was exceeding depth :rofl3: I've taken it down that far, but without leaking and never got the warning. Still works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom