Waterlands Village Community?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jennfl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are looking at staying at Waterlands Village. Has anyone had experiences here? It looks very nice, but since it's a newer property, not many reveiws yet.

We found a nice deal with an owner from VRBO.

Not too sure about the distance from town, ect.

Any information would be great.

It's at the east end of the lagoon south of Plaza Resort. I don't know anything about it as they weren't even building it last time I was on Bonaire. Toucan Dive at the Plaza is likely your closest diveop from there. Their boats leave from the same lagoon to the west of Waterlands. Across from the small island with the red roofs on it. So you could maybe walk there now - IDK. There's also a diveop at Port Bonaire.

It's also 4/10ths of a mile (google earth) north of the Airport so the occasional jet noise might be a factor. There's a condo resort on the south side of the lagoon nearer to the ocean called Port Bonaire - I've read of people hearing flights go just overhead. But they're closer to the departure end of the runway. We stayed at BelMar in Belnem - a short distance south of there and it was very quiet.

Maybe they've done something about it, but that was a pretty still lagoon. I'd wonder about mosquitoes since it's at the quiet end. Donkey Beach is at the end of the runway and Bachelors is a little farther south of there. So that's a little misleading imo - depends on your definition of "close by".

I've attached a Google Earth shot of the area. If you rotate the Waterlands Village Map 90' counterclockwise you can see that it's the same peninsula that I've marked with an arrow. It obviously wasn't built when the sat photo was taken. Here's a construction shot that gives a sense of the area. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/19224450

I also marked some nearby "landmarks" The main part of Kralendijk is about 1/2 mile from the South Kralendijk area. The closest restaurant would probably be the Plaza's. But everything in town would be about 5mins. drive from there.

It's not a bad location but you could do better. Especially if you want to be oceanfront.

Attachments

• waterlands.jpg
    waterlands.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Thanks again, diversteve! AFter literally looking at what seems to be EVERY accomodation on Bonaire (lots of great options!), We have decided to stay here, based on some reviews we found and from talking with the owners. It's fully built now and seems to have a lot of ammenities for the price they are giving us.

How far is it from town? Miles and time wise?

We are still considering diving with Bas from VIP since he comes so highly rated here, and he was very responsive to our emails! Also considering Tropical divers too. I've found two or three rave reviews about them as well on various sites, and they come reccommended from the owners of the cottage at Waterlands. I think they are close by the Waterlands.

I am still reading information from the links you posted on my other thread. So, thanks again!!!

Jenn

How far is it from town? Miles and time wise?
See the road that runs parallel to the lagoon north of the Plaza. That's Abraham Blvd which turns and goes north past the Divi and becomes the main street downtown - the name changes to Kaya Grande in town.

From Waterlands to downtown (I call downtown the fish market/City Cafe area) is just under two miles. The only time you need to consider traffic/congestion is if there's a cruise ship in town since they moor at Town Pier.

Here's a good map of Kralendijk and the whole island (except it's missing a lot of resorts/restaurants):
Bonaire Island Map, view Bonaire's towns enlarged

You might check with the property mgmt. company for tank rentals. Several of the condos/houses just south of there get them delivered daily by one (or more) of the dive operations so they might be able to work something out for you.

Tropical Inn/Divers is north of the Plaza Resort on Abraham Blvd. So not the closest place to Waterlands. That would be either Toucan Divers at the Plaza or the diveshop at Port Bonaire condos. (I don't know the name)

Tropical Inn/Divers is north of the Plaza Resort on Abraham Blvd. So not the closest place to Waterlands. That would be either Toucan Divers at the Plaza or the diveshop at Port Bonaire condos. (I don't know the name)

The dive shop at Port Bonaire is indeed very close to Waterlands. It is Dive Friends and they have other locations on the island which make it convenient for swapping out tanks if you are north, south or in town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom