Water temperatures in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam308

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be returning to one of my favorite dive destinations, Cozumel although, this time it will be in February. What could I expect in the way of temperatures and viz? Do i bring the 3/2 mil full or the 3 mil shorty?

Suggestions??

Thanks

:eyebrow:

I will be returning to one of my favorite dive destinations, Cozumel although, this time it will be in February. What could I expect in the way of temperatures and viz? Do i bring the 3/2 mil full or the 3 mil shorty?

Suggestions??

Thanks

DH and I spent a week or 10 days, can't remember, in COZ February 2007. We both can tolerate cooler temps rather well. We used our 3mm full Hyperstretch as well as a 3 mm core warmer with hood attached. We were both very comfy. If using neoprene, perhaps a hood would be the only extra you would need to have on hand. Let's see what others suggest... Have a great time. Oh, and the VIS was great ! SS

Suggestions??

Thanks

Try the sticky thread at the top of the page....

Last February I used a 3/2mm full suit and a 1mm hood. In reviewing my logs, I recorded getting cold near the end of the 2nd dive on first day of diving. No notes or recollections of getting chilled other than that one dive. I didn't come home with a new core warmer, so I'm guessing it wasn't very uncomfortable. Sorry, I did not record the water temps during that visit, but I seem to recall it being around 77-79 degrees. If I make it down this next February, I will use the same exposure protection I did then. Personally, I would leave the shorty at home, but I do recall seeing a diver or two using them.

turk9

Suggestions??

Thanks

High 70's.

Checked my log from mid Feb last year - 9 dives were 79, 2 were 81. Wore a 3 mil full on all the dives, and didn't record being cold at all. (But then I don't get cold too easy.)

Same as Kat, but I did 20 dives and the last day froze my butt off. Temp didnt change...just ran out of fuel for the furnace (so to speak).

Cold is relative - depending on what you're used to an how many dives you'll be doing. More dives - less heat reserves in your body. Thats why many of the DM's there are layered when they dive.

I was there in January with a full 3mm and had no problems with temps. No hoods or core warmers needed for me. I dove twice a day for six days straight with a couple of night dives thrown in there somewhere. Will be returning this Feb and will again bring only my 3mm. I noticed from your profile you are from IL so you should not have a problem with the temps. Jan water temps were around 78 - 80

I agree, 3mm was fine for me. But, be sure to have a polar fleece top or coat or something like it because even when the sun is shining, the breeze can make you feel pretty chilly when you get out of the water.

I know the D/M I was with was wearing a 7mm and complaining he was freezing but that is to be expected since they are always in the water.

Back
Top Bottom