Water Temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 suits and a parka, how many bags do you bring? JK
You definitely know how to stay warm and comfortable!
I guess I can rent a suit if I get cold.

I always bring 2 wetsuits for a 2 tank dive. I take my wetsuit off between dives to warm up and put the dry one on for the 2nd dive. One of my favorite scuba buys ever is a long warm dive parka I use between and after dives. I might not use it in the summer but its a must have for me in the winter. The air is sometimes colder than the water. In February, I wear either a 3 mil or a 4th Element Thermoclime farmer Jane and top and I wear a hat or beanie.

All depends on you. I have a 3m shorty with many non oem worn spots. I am a bit overweight (75lb) and I am comfy in Jan and Feb. Did I mention the exsesive hair everywhere except the head! I have no cold issues and when I started wearing a beanny 2 years ago due to ear infections I found it keeps me warmer all over. Others need a 7m and are cold.
Another way to stay warm is to remove the wet suit as soon as you exit the water and dry off. Dry skin is warmer than wet. I have seen folks shivering in their wet suits and they think its the air thats cold but its the wet wet suit. Most divemasters will strip to the waist and dry their tourso as soon as they can to stay warm. One exception is Alison, she must be cold blooded, shes even cold on the pier before diving!

81 for this time of year sounds great. Hope it stays that way for a few weeks.
For me to warm up between dives I like to lay on the pier or beach and sun myself like a crocodile to get my temp back up. Or if we stop at Playa Palancar the seafood soup does the trick as well.

I've been getting a couple of degrees shy of 81. And if the sun isn't out, it's cold. Cold. Giant boat coat and all- cold... Of course, I am admittedly spoiled. :D

In my 20 years in Coz I have never seen 81 F at this time of year. Normally 78-79-- and it does make a difference. But the temp readings on various rigs vary a lot and to have a 2-3 degree difference is not uncommon.

I will put in a plug for a new wet suit product called "Lavacore". It is like a skin but lined with fleece that gives it the same rating as about a 3 mil full suit, but with NO buoyancy change with depth, and it is very light Some years ago there was available a similar product called Polartec but was taken off the market for unknown reasons. The Lavacore product is available from Oceanic among others.

For hour plus dives the perfect outfit for me is the Lavacore for most of the year, and a 3 mil shorty on top when it does get down to 78 F. I also fully agree that once out of the water it is best to get the wetsuit off quickly and take your licks quickly, rather than shiver for a long time.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

It all comes down to personal tolerance. I dive California in a shortie (well, 7mm 2 piece step in but without the bottoms), so for Cozumel, I just rock a skin for some abrasion protection and I'm good.

I hear they are great, Dave. Maybe the Lavacore fairy will visit me one night and leave one under my pillow! :wink:
I am just eternally grateful for this lovely parkas...

+1 for Lavacore under a wet suit at these temperatures. We were in Cozumel in early December, and my wife felt really chilled in her 3 mm full after the second day. She put on her hooded Lavacore vest underneath and was much happier. The thing weighs little and packs compactly. In contrast, since I don't (yet) have a Lavacore, I ended up switching from my 3 mm to my bulky 5 mm suit after the second day, which was probably overkill but did keep me comfortable.

Love my Lavacore! I'm actually looking to add one of their shirts to wear underneath along with a pair of socks (which I didn't even know they sold until recently) for my March trip...a little extra warmth is alway good :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'll put in a + for Fourth Element which is similar to Lavacore. If you have a chance, try both brands on before you buy. The Fourth Element fit me much better than the Lavacore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom