Water temperature question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vioch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Advise me please on water temperature on Philippines (Mindoro) at early November.

I just own drysuit (TLS350) only, since wet suit is useless here in St.Petersburg Russia with water temperatures 3-4 C all year round at the depths below 20 m.
So want to understand should I order thin wet or lycra suit, or drysuit would be ok.

Hi Vioch, I can't talk for all the PI locations since temperatures chnage from place to place. But i can talk about Sabang, eastern Mindoro (is that where you're going?). Temps there range annually from 23 Celcius in the colder months (february-march) to around 29 celcius in the hotter months. So drysuit... I think it will be a bit much! Go for a wetsuit.

If you're like me, tolerant to cold diving (I'm from Canada), 3 mm full wetsuit will be perfect! It was for me at 23-24 celcius while I was in Sabang doing from 2 to 4 dives daily. If you get cold easily, then go for a 5mm full wetsuit. That's what most of the local DMs use because they aren't very tolerant of cold water.

But I can honnestly suggest the 3mm. It's fine down to the 23-24 range, and even up in the 29-30 range, when I was in Roatan, I was never too hot! And 3mm is very thin so it's very comfortable to wear.

Let us know exactly where you will be diving and I'm sure someone can confirm the temperatures at that time!

Hope this helps!:coffee:

Thanks for reply.
In Egypt's Red Sea with water temperature 24 C on Junuary I use my drysuit and was very comfortable.
I just booked tickets to Manila from 30 October till 11 November and plan to stay and dive at Mindoro, but haven't chosen exact place yet...

we get temp of 23-25C on during the coldest months of dec-feb. other times of the year its usually warmer at 27-28C. i wear a 2/3mm wetsuit and get cold only when diving during dec-feb. its up to you if you think you will be fine with a dry suit, go for it. just dont mind the looks and laughs behind your back and even upfront when you put it on. whatever you decide to put on, get ready for some great diving!

3mm shorty and a .5mm steamer will be just fine.

Someone was diving in a drysuit when I was in PG in December. Yeah, funny looks and all that, but he was warm and toasty.

do you sweat if wearing a dry suit?

i wear a rashguard and shorts... but then that's me... 10mm of blubber makes for a toasty dive and a hunka-hunka burnin' love for the ladies..

or if you're of average size why not rent a 3mm from the resort you're booking with? should be cheaper than buying AND you don't have to worry about storage when you get home to russia

Jag

I use a 5/4 mm full wetsuit with a hood. I have used a 3mm before but am more comfortable in the 5/4 especially after you get more dives in the suit and it gets compressed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom