Undergarments for different temperatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheizz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am getting a trilaminate drysuit for water temperatures between 0 C and 20 C (that's the Netherlands for ya). For the colder temperatures, I already got a nice warm undersuit. All set there. The same goes for the base layer: all set there.

For the 10-15 C temperatures (roughly), I am looking at a 200-gram undersuit. For higher temperatures (15-20 C), I am looking at an 85-gram undersuit. I can get them at very nice prices, that is not the thing.

Does this seem plausible? Or am I overdoing it? Could I get away with just the base layer in the trilaminate suit at 15-20 C waters? I don't run that cold, typically.
Or should I seek out a 150-gram suit to cover a wider range for that temperate to warmer temperatures?

You ask many questions but do not ask duration. I (mostly) wear a Halo3D or HaloAR or 400g undergarment in 22°C temperature and the same in 2°C. Are you going for thirty minute putz around dives? Sure, a 200 or 250 would be adequate in the 10-15 range for some people.

Ah I am sorry. 45-minute dives. Sometimes closer to 30-35 minutes, sometimes closer to 50-60 minutes. I understand how that factors in.

I have something similar to your setup, and the warmest I’ve dived dry was Red Sea at around 20C. For me, a 100g undersuit was perfect, with just a t-shirt under. I think just base layers would be too little for the 15-20C range.

(My other suits are a 200g Mola Mola and a 300g Waterproof for this time of year, but I need double merino layers underneath it and still get quite cold. Looking into the heated undersuit situation, seriously, for next winter…)

At 5C -- 400gm Thinsulate undergarment and dry gloves (40 to 60 minutes)

At 10C -- 400gm Thinsulate undergarment (40 to 60 minutes)

At 20C -- heavy long underwear that I bought for skiing (40 to 200 minutes)

Sorry to sidetrack... Is there a way to tell the XXX g? I'm wondering how 4th Element Xerotherm and Arctic would be on that scale. I'm ok in the Xerotherm (+wicking layer) down to 15 C for 45 min.

Sorry to sidetrack... Is there a way to tell the XXX g? I'm wondering how 4th Element Xerotherm and Arctic would be on that scale. I'm ok in the Xerotherm (+wicking layer) down to 15 C for 45 min.
Seriously? That sounds awful. I can't even wear my xerotherms in 72F water.
They aren't the same for a direct comparison as 4E doesn't use thinsulate, they have their own insulation.
Roughly their Halo would match up to a 400 gram, arctic to a 200 and xero to a 100.
I personally find the Halo much warmer than a comparable 400 gram from anybody else.

I am getting a trilaminate drysuit for water temperatures between 0 C and 20 C (that's the Netherlands for ya). For the colder temperatures, I already got a nice warm undersuit. All set there. The same goes for the base layer: all set there.

For the 10-15 C temperatures (roughly), I am looking at a 200-gram undersuit. For higher temperatures (15-20 C), I am looking at an 85-gram undersuit. I can get them at very nice prices, that is not the thing.

Does this seem plausible? Or am I overdoing it? Could I get away with just the base layer in the trilaminate suit at 15-20 C waters? I don't run that cold, typically.
Or should I seek out a 150-gram suit to cover a wider range for that temperate to warmer temperatures?

In 16.6 constant before I lost a lot of weight, it was a fleece sweater, bathing suit and t-shirt. (I didn't run cold then).

Now, it's a 300g and a thin fleece jacket.

I don't see the need to use scuba undergarments for rec. diving - fleece and/or wool pajama-type garments will do the job too, and save you a lot of money.

I just picked up one of these. 300G for 50 bucks. I haven't used it yet but it's similar to what I was using in Maine with a CF200. The trilam will won't offer any insulation so maybe a vest under or over. I also have a vest, 150 and 250 coming with my Seaskin drysuit in a couple months.

2022 Gul Recore Radiation Drysuit Undersuit GM0283-B8 - Charcoal - GM0283-B3{3}160

I just picked up one of these. 300G for 50 bucks. I haven't used it yet but it's similar to what I was using in Maine with a CF200. The trilam will won't offer any insulation so maybe a vest under or over. I also have a vest, 150 and 250 coming with my Seaskin drysuit in a couple months.

2022 Gul Recore Radiation Drysuit Undersuit GM0283-B8 - Charcoal - GM0283-B3{3}160
Have you used the undergarment yet? at $50 im considering it and wanted to get some insight from you before i pull the trigger and try it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom