Water temperature in Sharm now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pekka L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

I'm going to spend two weeks in Sharm starting about a week from now. What is the water temperature now in sharm?

I have, of course, found info on average temperatures, but I don't know if this year has been average. Current info would be welcome, as I am trying to decide whether to bring my 7-6-5 or something like that semi-dry with me.

Thanks, Pekka

Hi Pekka,

The water temperature is currently between 21 and 22 degrees C, although a colleague saw 23 for the first time this year in Na'ama Bay. It can fluctuate a little bit at this time of year but I don't expect to see much more than 23 degrees until we are well into April.

The air temperature has been rather inconsistent also - 3 nights ago I had to turn on my room fan for a few hours, last night I had to fetch an extra blanket! I'm still wearing a light fleece in the mornings and evenings, and prefer jeans to shorts at the moment.

It's also been rather windy recently, especially out at sea, with some rough seas and some poor visibility, but on the plus side, there have already been a few early mantas spotted in the area.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

C.

Just finished diving there, had dives as cold as 20. Vis was really poor.

Thanks! Helps a lot, I think I'll take my suit. I know it's not yet too overwarm in those temperatures. On the vis, anything over two meters beats what I usually have here in the Baltic sea.

And now I have a new hope of seeing mantas, too!

Edited a typo.

Anything below 25° C is considered ice-diving by me!
Dry-suit is really recommended in the moment - even if it´s only for the chilling winds when you get out of the water.
The water doesn´t seem to get warmer. It´s around 22° C now since many weeks. And vis sucks, too...

I´m depressed and want at least 5° and 20 m more...

the low vis is partly due to a huuuge amount of plankton in the water and also we've had an almost constant wind for about 2 months now, making for lumpy conditions out at sea and driving a lot of sand and silt around. I'm not getting in the water much at the moment but my 6.5mm semidry is holding up very nicely :)

Cheers

C.

I dived last week in Sharm, Dahab and Ras Mamlah in Abu Galum. The tempature was around 21-22 which made me freeze in my 5 mm wetsuit. The vis was great in Ras Mamlah and OK in Sharm and Dahab. Not much big stuff around Dahab and Ras Mamlah but in Ras Mohamed (Shark & Jolanda) we saw a big grey reef shark, lot's of stingrays, napoleonfish, grouper, large tunas, giant morays and so on. Great diving :)

Well the good news is that for this week at least, the wind has dropped somewhat, and the viz is clearing up.

Mantas have already been spotted on Far Garden and on Jackson Reefs, so I am certainly not about to complain just yet. As Crowley said, the low viz is caused by plankton and a bit of sand, now the sand has settled, we are just left with the plankton, and we all know what that brings... big filter feeders :D

I was diving the lighthouse Dahab today and the water temp was 22 degrees and vis was down to about 5 meters, I think we have the start of a plankton bloom !!

Back
Top Bottom