Water temp off the North Carolina coast and what do you wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealionesse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Most of my diving has been colder water (San Diego and North East US) but I am going to North Carolina in a month (mid August) on a dive trip to U-352 (and/or some other wrecks--depending).

I only have a 7mil wetsuit at this point and a rash guard that I sometimes wear under the wetsuit. In talking to people I know who go to the Carolina beaches, it sounds like I might be able to get away with just wearing the rash guard on the dive. But then I've had divers (friends in California who have been diving in NC) suggest that I should wear the wetsuit. But I worry that I will overheat--especially on the boat.

What do divers typically wear in North Carolina in mid-August? This dive will be about 115 feet.

I think it's important to note that while I do get cold easily, being cold is something I tolerate. But if I get too hot, I get sick and don't tolerate it well. Generally, I am comfortable in 60 degree water in my wetsuit (maybe a little cool at first) and I am comfortable swimming in the ocean (on the surface in just a bathing suit) when the water temperature is about 65-70. Of course then I have the sun helping to warm me since I am on the surface.

Thanks!

Surace temp offshore in August is usually in the low 80s, but that's not where your diving. The bottom temp at 100ft depends, It'll be in the 70s one week and the next there's big time thermocline and the water is in the upper 60s. So I would bring the suit. I have a 3mil suit I wear in the summer.

For summers, I wont go above a 3mm. I have done winter diving there with a 3mm and a 3/2 shorty.

Currently the temp on the sub is 77-ish on the surface and a thermocline at 70' that drops water temp to near 70. I dive in coveralls during the summer, but a 3mm suit should be sufficient. People still arrive on the boat with drysuits, and 7mm suits with hoods and gloves. I say whatever, but seems like a bunch of suit to be wearing in mid-summer. Enjoy your trip!

Keep in mind that the northern part of NC is a lot colder than around Cape Hatteras south. The warm Gulf Stream flows up around NC and out around Hatteras. You're good for the 352, but if you dive Nags Head area, you will be bordering the colder waters which may require around a 5 mil.

Thanks everyone! It looks like I may need to buy a new wetsuit then. All I have is the 7mil and the rashguard. It was fine for San Diego diving... and the rashguard was fine for any tropical diving. I'll have to keep an eye out for sales and such.

Summertime, I would do a 5mm for out in the Labrador currents (Nags Head - U701/U85) and a 3mm out of Morehead area south right now. As Katch said, it can be a big difference depending on where you are going.

Some cold water pushed in last week to the morehead offshore wrecks. High 70's at the surface and dipping into the 60's at depth....weird for this time of year.

I use a 5 mm now. I used to use a 3 mm in the summer, but sometimes on a long slow dive, you can get a bit chilled. A 3 or 5 should do you right. If you come in the spring, bring the 7 mm. I used to dive the north east quarries in a 2 piece farmer John 7 mm. Still have that suit, which comes in handy for spring time dives in the Carolina quarries.

Have fun on the U352... Still my favorite dive EVER!

Back
Top Bottom