Water temp in May? (Guanaja)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cabo

Reaction score
I'm heading to Posada Del Sol for 10 days 5/13/2004 and was curious what to expect the water temperatures to be. I've never worn a wetsuit before and am trying to decide if I should get a shortie or not.

In Cozumel last November, after 3 dives a day I was getting pretty cold and want to avoid that if the temps are going to be 78-80.

Thanks.

Any other comments on Posada Del Sol would be appreciated also.

Guanaja water temps at depth may be in the range of 75-85 degrees, but I'd bet somewhere around 82. I rarely wear exposure gear, but as you said, after multiple dives, you do get chilled.

I broke down and bought a Polar Fleece suit and that more than does the trick for the Western Caribbean- for me. But- to each their own tolerance. You can save a lot of body heat with a simple lightweight beanie (I like the Terrapin Wetsuits models)

I bought a 3mm suit from www.wetwear.com and have never been happier what with the arm and leg zippers. Great for 72-79 degree repretitive dives. "Herself" wears a 5/7 and barely gets by... but then again she wears a 3/5 when I go in a bathing suit. Go figure.

For real time weather and water conditions, go check out www.cocoviewresort.com and click on "current dive conditions". CCV just spotted some Whale Sharks! :D (and that's but 30 miles West of Posada del Sol.

Have fun, look for the little critters, relax and enjoy!

Cabo:
I'm heading to Posada Del Sol for 10 days 5/13/2004 and was curious what to expect the water temperatures to be. I've never worn a wetsuit before and am trying to decide if I should get a shortie or not.

In Cozumel last November, after 3 dives a day I was getting pretty cold and want to avoid that if the temps are going to be 78-80.

Thanks.

Any other comments on Posada Del Sol would be appreciated also.

Cabo,

If you can afford to do it, go ahead and get the shorty. I get to the Bay Islands quite frequently. As an example...I spent 6 weeks on Utila last May. I wore a shorty on all the dives I did. I also took a 3mm full which I wore on all night dives I did. The shorty would have worked fine on the night dives. I also wear a beanie with the shorty. I was doing anywhere from 3 to five dives a day. You will not regret having the extrta comfort of a shorty when you need it.

Regards,

I second Cuda's advice. Last year on Roatan, we had steady 82 degree temps. We did 3 dives a day and both wore 3mil shorties and had no probs.

Back
Top Bottom