Water proofing small motor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd go with magnetic drive, since a carbon/ceramic seal will eventually fail and contaminate your aquarium.

If you use magnetic drive, you can leave the motor outside the aquarium and the pump inside (seperated by the glass).

If it's only for show, and not actually driving anything, you could leave the prop free and drive it with a small water jet from your filter pump.

Terry

Zacrifice:
Hey
Well I need to make a small hobby motor water proof!

I already have the design idea for the casing, however I'm stuffed on what would be the best thing to use to water proof the shaft of the motor since it needs to be connected to a small prop that will be used to push water around

Heres a picture of a smaller motor in question
motor.jpg

I need it to be safe since it will be going into my aquarium.. and it needs to handle a minimum of 2 foot of water depth but deffinatly no more then 2 1/2 feet!

Anyone have any ideas of how best to do it?

(It needs to be a constantly run seal for it too, the motor will effectively be turning 24/7, just speeding up and slowling down)

Hi Zac...,

I can give you more info on implementing a unique magnetic drive system. I design things like this pretty often, i.e. oilfield tools. You can have drive componets custom polarized in cylindrical or "washer" orientations and the driven component is always synchronous to the drive unit therefore it will follow the direction of the motor/drive system in question. I would need detailed dimension requirements to send you specific plans but if you are open to suggestions I could send you some general drawings. BTW, if you can't spend money on custom polarizations you can always substitute readily available hobby magnets, I suggest rare earth alloys, to build your own rotors. Just let me know.

Toe

If you're using the magnetic drive, why not keep the motor outside the aquarium and drive it through the glass?

Back
Top Bottom