water in housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yuflesh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
what a day.

Took advanced open water, and it was worst ever! Course was horrible, teacher should not be teaching (it was pathetic) and now my camera doesnt work.

I got a dc-800 and I love it. I noticed some moisture when i got home. Popped it out of the case and small amount of water leaked out.....sigh.

I am going to take it apart and dry it, however, being that its salt water, im not overly optimistic.

Any suggestions on what to do to save it, and if not, what internal camera would your use as a replacement. I know that Sealife wants about 250 dollars for just camera (not the case) and same 8mp internal camera with similar buttons clusters goes for about 100 dollars (different brand obviously)

Any suggestions, Im all ears.

Thanks guys,

Marko

Well, the AOW course ain't much more than guided dives yielding more experience under supervision, but that's a discussion for another forum here on SB.

I hope you didn't try to turn it on. Remove battery and card ASAP!

A noticeable amount of salt water in a case is really bad news. You might pack it in rice or Damp Rid for a few days, blow it clean, and try. :idk: Got a spare battery?

Where can you get "same 8mp internal camera with similar buttons clusters goes for about 100 dollars"...?

I took it apart and blew out any water with compressed air. Very little white stuff, but I think its history. The housing is what makes this camera. Camera itself is not that great. Took it apart and looks really cheaply made.

Nikon makes almost identical camera with similar clusters, HP has a bunch too. Its probably the most common looking camera. It would be interesting to know who makes the guts for Sealife (for this camera). You can pickup 10-12 mp camera for 80-100 dollars anywhere, but that is beside the point.

Crappy deal is that i have two batteries and external charger and its just a nice setup for quick dive.

Bah.

Thank you.

ohhhh...I think I may be in luck here. :) Camera fired up. I dried it good, some streaks on the screen but that will take couple of days to completely dry off.

Question......Ive been trying to take white salty stuff off....not very much of it, but it will eventually eat through everything, so I really want to remove it. I just did a dry q-tip, however, some is left behind. Any suggestion on what I can use?

thanks guys.

Marko

90% alcohol should dissolve residues and dry quickly. Some sites even say to remove water with it.

What about a fine paint brush like artists use (or kids waterr color). Bristles might be strong enough to brush that stuff out.

Back
Top Bottom