Water comfort in late September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd just rent a shortie from the dive operator and be covered and done with worrying or trying to figure out anything. Renting it means you don't have to pack it or deal with it in your cabin, a shortie will make the difference if the water turns out to be just a little too cold for you and won't make any difference if the water is warm enough.

How many dives will you be doing? If only 1 day I'd either not worry about it or rent a shortie as has been suggested. I wouldn't bring one if you're only diving 1 day, nor would I worry about being cold.

I've felt a tad chilled in July on deeper dives after 3-4 days of 3-5 dives/day with a 3/2 shortie. One day? I wouldn't worry at all.

I have been in March, May, July and the very end of August. I freeze without a wetsuit in the 78-79 degree March water, but never got the slightest bit cold with no wetsuit in the 84 degree late August water doing 4 dives per day. I also liked a wetsuit in May with temps around 81 (but surface temps were cold and it rained the whole time, so no warm-up between dives).

We have been several times in September. I wear a thermoprene wetsuit 2.5 mil with a vest (3 mil) and a beanie. I always bring a 2nd wetsuit so I can start each dive in a dry wetsuit. Traveling with a just a carryon is not an option for me. I always dive with my own BC, regulator and computer. It's worth the extra effort to have my own gear. My husband will dive with just a skin in September. He insists on his own gear as well. Our credit card gives each of us 1 checked bag for free. Our clothes for the week fit into carryons!

Just wear a thin wetsuit - if you get cold, pee in it.

:)

I dive in a Lycra rashguard year-round. My wife dives in a 3mm full suit year-round with the addition of a hooded vest in the winter. My son dives in a 3mm suit in the winter and shorts in the summer. Just my little family is proof that others cannot answer the question.

No matter what the water temperature is, it'll be quite a bit colder than your body temperature and your body heat will transfer to water very easily, so with a long enough dive anyone can get chilled in water below about 99F/37C. If you are at all concerned about getting cold, either take a suit or arrange to rent one.

Just my little family is proof that others cannot answer the question.
Your son seems to be the anecdote he's asking for, the rest of the family irrelevant. "Are other people who wear a 3mm in the winter feeling like they need that much in the summer."

The question wasn't "how much exposure protection does each person wear?"

Your son seems to be the anecdote he's asking for, the rest of the family irrelevant. "Are other people who wear a 3mm in the winter feeling like they need that much in the summer."

The question wasn't "how much exposure protection does each person wear?"

Pot meet kettle....your reply seems irrelevant to the OP's question as well. Such a thoughtful and helpful response.

Some people...

Pot meet kettle....your reply seems irrelevant to the OP's question as well. Such a thoughtful and helpful response.

Some people...

I already gave him a relevant response. I just didn't post it on the thread. (Like you- I went with "rent a shortie")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom