Watch what reviews you post about Thailand...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmm, seems Mr. Barns (34) has a criminal complaint & weapons charge of some sort in Missouri from October 2017. Not thinking he will be staying in the land of smiles for long.....

Thethaiger, has a copy of the criminal complaint, seems to have some similarities.

Wow. Having already spent 5 years in jail for a DUI and being in Thailand on an expired visa, you'd think Mr Wesley Barnes would cool his jets. Hard to feel any sympathy after reading this (keep scrolling down), though who knows if any of it is actually true. Never heard of ConanDaily before.

Wow. Having already spent 5 years in jail for a DUI and being in Thailand on an expired visa, you'd think Mr Wesley Barnes would cool his jets. Hard to feel any sympathy after reading this (keep scrolling down), though who knows if any of it is actually true. Never heard of ConanDaily before.
I dunno. Clearly the guy has an alcohol problem. I'm surprised he was able to get a passport after what was undoubtedly a couple felony weapons charges 3 years earlier. Maybe Missouri isn't as tough on that sort of thing as Florida. Here I'm pretty sure he would have had a minimum 5 year sentence, and probably probation and a fine too. Not to mention you lose a lot of your civil rights once you're a convicted felon.

Somehow he found himself on the other side of the world 3 years later, drinking at a resort.

However, what does any of that have to do with getting arrested for writing a review on tripadvisor? Not a thing.

Based on the account of the incidents surrounding the reivew in that ConanDaily article (items 7-13) I would still say that the punishment was way out of line. Especially after he revised the review four days later stating "Unfriendly staff, no one ever smiles. They act like they don’t want anyone there. The restaurant manager was the worst. He is from the Czech Republic. He is extremely rude and impolite to guests. Find a another place. There are plenty with nicer staff that are happy you are staying with them.”

I don't see anything wrong with that review. It's the guy's opinion. Clearly he pissed the staff off after being a jerk about the bottle fee issue. They pissed him off as well. So in that situation, most people would write a review. His first one was over the top, tripadvisor deleted it. He wrote the second one four days later and it seems fine to me. KoKang can then either report the review if it violates tripadvisor rules, ignore it, or post a response.

I guess it all comes down to this. If you're in a foreign country, you can't expect people to be reasonable. Yes sir, yes ma'am. whatever you say, sir. Enjoy your trip there then gtfo.

I have to assume that after all the trouble, he was deported from Thailand. The publicity from this incident surely has to scare some tourists away from visiting the country, and letting him stay could only make things worse for everyone involved.

I didn't notice anything in that article about his visa being expired.

However, what does any of that have to do with getting arrested for writing a review on tripadvisor? Not a thing.
To me, him having already served significant time behind bars negates my first thought on this where I figured "let him sit in a Thai jail for a few days to scare him". The visa thing is in the header info before the numbered list, though there is a number that mentions his visa too. Again, to me that just speaks to his utter recklessness. This guy seem to be beyond learning - he's one of those people who's right all the time, and it's everybody else that's wrong. Once identified, I do my best to give that type of person a wide berth. And lots of rope. Then sit back and watch.
:popcorn:

Kai Bae Beach Resort doesn't have any $240 rooms either, so that's weird too.

I dunno. Clearly the guy has an alcohol problem. I'm surprised he was able to get a passport after what was undoubtedly a couple felony weapons charges 3 years earlier. Maybe Missouri isn't as tough on that sort of thing as Florida. Here I'm pretty sure he would have had a minimum 5 year sentence, and probably probation and a fine too. Not to mention you lose a lot of your civil rights once you're a convicted felon.

Somehow he found himself on the other side of the world 3 years later, drinking at a resort.

Based on the account of the incidents surrounding the reivew in that ConanDaily article (items 7-13) I would still say that the punishment was way out of line. Especially after he revised the review four days later stating "Unfriendly staff, no one ever smiles. They act like they don’t want anyone there. The restaurant manager was the worst. He is from the Czech Republic. He is extremely rude and impolite to guests. Find a another place. There are plenty with nicer staff that are happy you are staying with them.”

I don't see anything wrong with that review. It's the guy's opinion. Clearly he pissed the staff off after being a jerk about the bottle fee issue. They pissed him off as well. So in that situation, most people would write a review. His first one was over the top, tripadvisor deleted it. He wrote the second one four days later and it seems fine to me. KoKang can then either report the review if it violates tripadvisor rules, ignore it, or post a response.

I guess it all comes down to this. If you're in a foreign country, you can't expect people to be reasonable. Yes sir, yes ma'am. whatever you say, sir. Enjoy your trip there then gtfo.

I have to assume that after all the trouble, he was deported from Thailand. The publicity from this incident surely has to scare some tourists away from visiting the country, and letting him stay could only make things worse for everyone involved.

I didn't notice anything in that article about his visa being expired.
It may seem fine to you, but this part "Find a another place. There are plenty with nicer staff that are happy you are staying with them." is not allowed in Thailand.

It may seem fine to you, but this part "Find a another place. There are plenty with nicer staff that are happy you are staying with them." is not allowed in Thailand.

I doubt that anyone is second guessing whether or not this lout misbehaved.

The reason I started this thread is:

DOES THE PUNISHMENT FIT THE CRIME?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom