Watch what reviews you post about Thailand...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it sounds like the SLAPP protections don't work at all. At least the protections in Florida, anyway. That guy had tens of thousands in legal bills and the nightmare didn't end until he got the incident publicized on TV. That's a shame.

It's a good reason to use fictitious information when registering for websites where you might post a review.

Regarding the cork fee...one news outlet implies that the fee was charged to booze he brought to the hotel, rather than booze purchased at the hotel/restaurant.

I've seen this in the States. Especially where they don't have a liquor license to sell wine/liquor. You bring your own but you pay them to uncork it. It's just understood as their policy and you roll with it - or drink prior to or after your dinner. No big deal.

. That guy had tens of thousands in legal bills and the nightmare didn't end until he got the incident publicized on TV.
He can counter sue under the law in Florida. In California (I think) if the court decides you've placed a SLAPP suit, then the judgement is immediate and they owe YOU money and will pay your legal bills as well.

I'm protected under a being a provider law (Fed), but that doesn't stop them from suing me. It's painful and expensive. Of course, I am liable for anything I post.

The devolved Scottish government are debating a Bill that would make it an offence to bad mouth anyone, even in a private conversation.

:confused:o_O:eek:

Libel someone in a review, expect to be pursued for libel. Truth defence only applies where it is actually true, not where it is your perspective of the truth. Free speech does not mean free of consequence. A prison term is hefty, but it's Thailand. Certainly don't try spitting in Singapore or smoking weed in Indonesia, the local punishments are severe compared to western countries. What he wrote was very specific and certainly not something I would recommend in any country recently run by a junta and currently run (after somewhat controversial elections) by the same leader of the junta.

I've seen this in the States. Especially where they don't have a liquor license to sell wine/liquor. You bring your own but you pay them to uncork it. It's just understood as their policy and you roll with it - or drink prior to or after your dinner. No big deal.

Any BYO establishment here normally has a sign in the window, unlicensed but prepared to deal with your booze for you. You pay corkage because they provide clean glasses and dispose of the empty bottle. They provide a service and people get paid for providing a service. I have wondered if you could bring your own glasses and take you empty bottle and dirty glasses home with you. I've certainly not been charged when a bunch of us took some beers into a Korean BBQ place in Perth and took our empties out with us, but it was a low charm establishment so hardly indicative of broader practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom